Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
help on my living room
honeyjjdb
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
hi guys,i really want my living room bright and homey.can you guys pls help me on what to do here.all suggestion is highley appreciatted and pls show pictures on any idea you guys think would look good.thank you all so much.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathy
Hi Honey! This is my first time posting, so don't know how it will sound - but here goes!

I think a TV stand that is in better proprtion to the TV would be a big help. By in proprtion, I mean it needs to be longer than the TV is wide. And in case you ever might want surround system make it quite a bit longer, unless speakers will end up hung on walls.

Then a larger rug, so that the 2 sofas will at least have front legs on rug - then it will look like allthe sofas, coffee table are a 'group'.

Small things - bright cushions and throw blanket. More artwork on walls, and hang it lower than what you have done already - again it needs to look like it belongs with the funiture. Maybe a plant or something with height in the corner by loveseat and patio door.

Adding curtain panels or just valances is another place to add colour, pattern, texture (all that design-y stuff!).

Btw - I started with the TV because I've only recently bought myself a stand to replace the one I had that was just like yours! And then my husband said he wanted surround sound, so the stand was no longer quite big enough to hold the front speakers!
Good luck and have fun with your decorating!
2 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 6:54PM
Jacqueline Pestano
Window treatments, and some color the will pop
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:05PM
Jacqueline Pestano
Green works well with certain colors. For example the window treatments in this bedroom
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:10PM
Christina Zielinski
I would bring in some lighter furniture as well. Mix your finishes a little. All dark furniture seems to be absorbing all of your light. If you can mix up your finishes a bit that would help. I would also find a different rug with a better more up to date pattern as well as larger. Look for a tone on tone pattern in taupes maybe. Overstock has really great deals and some great choices. Mirrors also do wonders, again look at overstock or Wayfair. Good luck!
1 Like   January 14, 2013 at 7:20PM
Jacqueline Pestano
http://www.hgtv.com/topic-green/video/index.html
You could get some ideas from this video
0 Likes   January 14, 2013 at 7:42PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:23PM
Heather Stevens
The first thing that i notice is that the shade of green you have on the walls is too light for the heavy dark furniture. I think that you could change the wall color and be more happy with it, if you like earth tones maybe go with a gold or pumpkin. It bold but will balance better.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 12:37PM
DeHaven
I agree with all of the points made by Kathy. Move that rug to the bedroom or kitchen and buy something definitely larger and warmer... lusher and of a natural fiber. I would remove one leather item, perhaps the chair, to the bedroom and replace with something softer or brighter. A bit too much matching going on Sweetie. Doesn't make each piece feel special enough. Love your wall colour and the colours in your one piece of art. You have given us a peak into what you like with these. Bring in lots more of those colours and find more art in a related family and arrange a grouping, not one piece here and one piece there, and, as Kathy said... Lower! You also don't need to limit yourself to paintings on the wall, all kinds of things can be put there. I have brass trays, antique fabrics, wooden corbels, sconces and more.

The curtains that Jacqueline posted are beautiful!!! Something like that would go a long way to warm up your space and make it feel like a home not just a room where furniture is stored.

Next, you need to fiddle with the furniture arrangement. I would start by putting the long sofa on the longest wall and work from there.

Lastly, I don't know where you live, but most towns have a section with lots of antique or "junk" stores. I love the "junk". Why not take a couple of Saturdays and go for a stroll thru a bunch of these places and see what catches your eye. It could be an old frame or window, an antique box or beat up statue, an old piece of metal... almost anything with some personality. Find something quirky that speaks to you and bring it home. Your house will immediately feel differently. It will feel like you. And when your friends come over they will see and feel you in the space. Auctions are also a fun way to find unusual things for the home... at really good prices.

The point is have fun, be yourself, express yourself, buy only what you love and it will all work. Can't wait to see what you discover.
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 1:01PM
Jacqueline Pestano
Don't be afraid to add color.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 3:44PM
Jacqueline Pestano
Here is the perfect photo op for you to examine
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 3:50PM
DeHaven
LOVE those rosy red chairs... gorgeous! Really pretty photo. Where can I find those?
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 7:39PM
clearfieldbison
Suggest you browse fabric websites for burgundy,green and yellow patterns for color inspiration. I have leather furniture similarr to yours. These are the colors I have in my family room along with artwork of trees ,weathered wood and metal coffee table,clear glass lamps. Very pleased with result. Would send pics but I am incompetent with computer u less it involves shopping!!!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:03PM
PRO
Cochrane Floors & More
If you're looking for something inexpensive as an idea I have a couple suggestions... first move into a color pallet that is a little lighter and gravitates more towards a neutral tone - a little boring I know, but there's more... select a feature wall, and make it pop with something low-cost and natural such as old pallet boards (pretty much free) or cork bark tiles ($2-$3/sq.ft) then add some lighter sheers that can help extend the width of your windows and soften the overall look. Just a thought.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Colours that works with the floor
I just bought a house and the kitchen is stumping me....
Color clueless
PLEASE..! Please ..! Please...! Help me find the best...
Help decorating living room!
I need help with decorating ideas for our living room....
trying to make a decision
please show me a updated bathroom thats installed a...
Room makeover advice to contemporary
Just bought new house and want a contemporary style....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.