Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What would you do?
Karina
January 14, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am purchasing this condo and love neutral colors. Heights of walls can differ and it's a funky place with a loft. What paint color would you paint with the downstairs having brick floors? The rooms are not separated and I need an all over color. Thank you in advance. The picture with the blinds closed is a kinda kitchen nook area which I plan on turning into a 2 chair with a table relaxing area to have coffee or tea. Would you paint the kitchen cabinets and if so, what color? Help! :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
I'm guessing these pics are from the staged home and this is not your furniture. You have a wonderful nook for a banquette under the window and a table that will push against the wall when not in use. If it is a drop leaf table you can add two chairs or stools and seat four or five. As for cabinets, check out rustoleumtransformations.com before you decide. For color, I think a light sage green and maybe several other shades from the same color strip would look good throughout your space.
Custom Bench and Shelving
Concord Green Home
January 15, 2013 at 9:09am     
Kira Nguyen
Love the brick floor! I would paint the walls gray because the brick is such a warm color. Painting the kitchen cabinets white would fit with the more modern look of the condo.

Bill Bolin Photography - Christy Blumenfeld Architecture

Check out this ideabook on choosing the right shade of gray: Ideabook: Choosing Paint: How To Pick the Right Gray

Good luck! Please share after photos :)
January 15, 2013 at 9:11am     
Nancy Hehmann
I would choose an area rug to add more interest to your decor. Once you have decided on an area rug then I would choose the wall color.
January 15, 2013 at 9:15am   
Karina
@ Carolina. Thank you foer the thought of an area rug. @ Kira, love your idea and I was thinking along the same ideas. I will definently upload an after shot. Of course it won't be until approx. April (ish). Kira? DO you think the white and gray is OK with the kitchen counters???
January 15, 2013 at 9:37am   
Karina
@ decoenthusiaste. Thank you! I like the table aspect.
January 15, 2013 at 9:57am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Paint color should be the last choice made. There are thousands of paint shades and only a few pieces of furniture and rugs that you will really like. Chose those first then your paint choice will be easier. And until you decide on furniture pieces I would put off even painting the cabinets until you define your style..eclectic, contemporary, etc.
January 15, 2013 at 10:17am     
Kira Nguyen
Karina, I can't tell exactly what color the kitchen counter is, but I'm guessing that white cabinets and gray walls would work with almost anything!
January 15, 2013 at 11:21am   
Karina
Hi Kira, They are a brown with flakes of multi color in them. I know your time is valuable and I appreciate your help tremendously. Can I push my limits and ask maybe what a back splash color you would us in the kitchen??
January 15, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Kira Nguyen
I love these dark dark gray back splashes, but not really sure about the materials. Anyone who knows, feel free to chime in!

Amoroso Design
Open Concept Kitchen
January 15, 2013 at 12:16pm     
Karina
HI Barbara, I agree however, the owner is painting it for me for free, so I figure I need to choose and I can decorate around that at a later point.
January 15, 2013 at 12:23pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Free is fantastic. What are your favorite colors, what type of "look" do you want, contemporary, eclectic, etc.? In other words what colors would you like to see in your furniture and rugs. Will it be just you or do you have a family as well. This would determine the type of furnishings you would choose. Do you have furniture that you are bringing, that you want to keep? These are all considerations. When you narrow down the colors..please buy samples/or qts. paint 2 coats on poster board and bring it into that house..look at it all over. To choose a color your dislike later and then have to live with, is no help at all. It really is a big deal.
January 15, 2013 at 12:58pm   
Karina
Hi Barbara, I am more traditional, comtemporary. I love the grey idea, as it was what I was thinking. However, I was thinking going beige, creams for color. I will be purchasing furniture after. It will just be me there. I am liking persian looking rugs as well. Upstairs (pics I will show once I upload later) I am changing the floor to laminate wood as I am on a budget. I would like to incorporate the paint color going upstairs as well. I have been looking at pictures all over this website. It is difficult to imagine though because of differant lighting , angles, and ceiling heights. I wish I could just afford to hire someone to do it and then I can walk in and smile:) Thanks for your time.
January 15, 2013 at 2:32pm     
Karina
Barbara, I also like classic.
January 15, 2013 at 4:37pm     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Take a look at BM Abalone 2108-60 and Portland Gray 21109-60. These are gray but with a tad of brown for warmth. I would then paint my kitchen cabinets a white, not cream. Add sleek contemporary hardware (handles not knobs) (brushed nickel). I like the mix of classic & contemporary. A classic rug with a mix of contemporary/classic furniture. Some classic furniture with large contemporary art. Floor length but to the ceiling drapery panels in a natural fiber, very simple.
January 15, 2013 at 5:17pm     
Karina
Thanks Barbara. May I ask who makes that paint color??
January 15, 2013 at 5:22pm   
Karina
just answered my own question. Benjamin Moore.
January 15, 2013 at 5:23pm   
Karina
I just looked at those colors and I LOVE THEM! What about a backsplash though for the kitchen? Brick? Metallic stones? Majestic?
January 15, 2013 at 5:26pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
For the backsplash, I would probably use a stainless steel look...but not small tiles, maybe subway tiles. Keep it simple. Small tiles will make the area seem smaller. We could then have a few accessories that are very classic in shape and color. I think a modern clean look for the bones of the kitchen, what do you think? It is truly a beautiful condo.
January 16, 2013 at 11:31am     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
That little nook area off the kitchen looks very small, especially with the door that needs to open. Did you ever think about a small desk in there, or a console cabinet under the window and several white wooden shelves along the long wall adjacent to the door, and use it as a bar for entertaining. Decorative glasses, decanters, colorful bottles, etc. Maybe mirror behind the shelves. It could look quite stunning. Just a thought.
January 16, 2013 at 11:42am     
sealedesign
I'd wait to do the wall color until I'd chosen the furniture. I know that is backwards since then you;d have to move the furniture but paint comes in all colors but furniture doesn't. I'd make a transportable palette of the permanent colors in the place like the staircase and cabinets. Your choices for paint will be limited and obvious once you have chosen your furniture.
January 16, 2013 at 12:07pm   
pjtime
I agree with the gray suggestions of Bill Bolan and Barbara Griffith. I think it would look wonderful with the brick floors (love, love, love them). And painting the cabinets white and the stainless backsplash. It's gonna look fabulous!
January 16, 2013 at 12:17pm     
pjtime
Idea for your dining nook...
January 16, 2013 at 1:55pm     
Karina
Thank you Barbara, sealed design and pj time. Love the ideas and thoughts. I'm thinking after discussing with another designer that I more into a transitional and contemporary motif, so I think this will all work out well.
January 16, 2013 at 3:18pm   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
My very best to you...I am sure it will be beautiful...Let us know what you decide and show us some pictures.
January 16, 2013 at 3:33pm     
Karina
You've all been so thoughtful and kind to spend YOUR time. I'm touched by your generosity. I will post pics in a few months. :-)
January 16, 2013 at 5:16pm     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Silhouettes would look really good on those windows they are also very bright and neutral so you can play up the other colors in the room.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/silhouette-sheer-blinds.html
January 18, 2013 at 1:14pm   
More Discussions
Boring wall
Please help I don't know what to do with this boring...
Mdwest native plant for dry areas
This Thursday’s featured native plant is Hoary Vervain,...
Got the shabby, forgot the chic
Can anybody please help me redecorate and re arrange...
Can you help? SUGGESTIONS FOR BARE WALL -STUMPED!
I'm STUMPED as to how I should decorate this bare wall....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.