Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with Accent Wall - Too matchy-matchy
stephmal
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am tired of the deep red/brown accent wall in my family room. It's currently HC 64 - Townsend Harbor Brown. After 2 years it now feels too "garanimal" with the stripe chairs and rug. Main walls in family room & attached kitchen are BM Shaker Beige. Thinking of replacing the red/brown with a deeper grey - maybe HC-167 (amherst grey) or even Narragananset green HC-157. Thoughts? Other ideas?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Changing the deep color at the end of the room will make your room feel lighter and larger. Lighter grey tones would accomplish your goals. Consider painting the fireplace to add another dimension to the wall.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 6:53AM
creeser
I wouldn't even make it an accent wall. Why not carry the same color as the other walls on around to that wall?
5 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:10AM
kfreund
You have too much furniture. I would start with moving the striped chairs to a different room, getting a rectangular coffee table and moving the chair and ottoman to the other side next to the couch where one of the striped chairs is. I love the color red bay by sherwin Williams and I think that would be perfect for your accent wall.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 7:47AM
PRO
Weatherwell Elite - Aluminum Shutters
I agree is creaser, I am not sure an accent wall is needed. Carrying the same color from the other walls may really give the room a light lift.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 8:00AM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
Definitely lighten up the wall, but also think about moving the furniture around. I think the striped chairs are too high backed in their current position, they are acting as a barrier to entering the space. Placing them either side of the fireplace with the beige chair and ottoman opposite would look better.
5 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:25AM
PRO
Dytecture
I agree the room doesn't really need an accent color since there are so many bold patterns. But here is just an idea of using red for the wall.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 8:29AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
what's going on here is that there are now two walls, each with window and window covering and the 'backgrounds are different. Sorry you have had this for so long.......the lighter wall tone will create less glare ...now ones eye goes right to the windows on the dark wall.....to only then see the glare...
2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:32AM
PRO
MLB Design Group
I think the valances are distracting, too. Have you ever thought about installing one continuous piece across the top of all windows? I would even brainstorms a way to integrate that line above the fireplace, tying those two windows together as well. A challenge with this room comes from its strong rectangular shape, so adding more horizontal lines along its length needs to be thoughtfully imagined. I agree with others who've suggested painting all walls the same color, and re-thinking those striped chairs. I'd recommend they be reupholstered with a really pretty fabric inspired by something else in your home not visible in this photo.
2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:43AM
PRO
Euro Style Lighting
Maybe an oval or sunburst mirror would break up all the rectangles. Check these out. http://www.eurostylelighting.com/mirrors-category/wall+mirrors-type/oval-shape/search.htm
And let us know if you have any questions, we're here to help.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 9:00AM
stephmal
Wow - thanks so much for all the great ideas and feedback!!! I didn't realize until looking at the photo that I do have a lot of furniture - as kfreund pointed out. I could definitely move the striped chairs to another room - or maybe rearrange to the fireplace wall as Sunlight recommended. Also thinking about re-upholstering them. They have been around a couple years longer than the accent wall, so I'm ready for a change. I had the room lighter in the past (BM 1551) and it was much more calming...everyting wasn't "screaming" so much. Also agree about the valences - I have the original molding that came with the wood blinds. I could put that up in the meantime instead as I work on new window treatments. I really appreciate everyone's input!!!!

Scott's Creative home - what color would you paint the fireplace surround? Same as wall? Shade deeper?
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 11:28AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Paint room all one color..not too light. Remove valances and add solid color linen panels to the ceiling off windows on all windows. Round mirror over mantle. Try sunlightproperties chair arrangement before you swap out chairs. Smaller rectangle coffee table.
2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:39AM
decoenthusiaste
To me, your room seems to be teetering to the right due to the huge entertainment center in a dark color. If over balances that side of the room and the light windows, while providing lots of glare, cannot hold their own. I'd either put a TV above the FP or paint the E-center to match your other trim and FP surround. There are so many squares, rectangles and straight lines in this room, I understand the effort to soften with the valances, however they're not doing the job. Try floor to ceiling drapery panels between each set of windows. Use a patterned fabric that has lots of curves to the pattern. I agree on the sunburst or other round mirror if you don't opt for TV over mantel. How about replacing the striped chairs with a pair of lower profile armless accent chairs? They could flank the FP or sit as the present ones do without blocking off the area so much.
Menlo Park Full Remodel
Bailey Accent Chair, Linx
Swoop Upholstered Accent Chair, Georgeous Pearl
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:03PM
treeg
Definately paint the room all the same color, gray is a good choice. The room doesn't necessarily have too much furniture, it's just that the entertainment center is so bulky, it overwhelms the room. The window treatments need to be addressed, the valances aren't the solution. Maybe a quality shade to soften all the hard lines - I don't know what your privacy concerns are? I normally suggest crown molding for rooms with a straight ceiling. However, your room appears to have an odd soffit above the entertainment center, which might pose a bit of a challenge. I would tone down the sunlight, tone down the paint color, and if possible, tone down the entertainment center.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:15PM
Sue Ann Stevens
Sunlight Prop. and Gary Finley each hit the nail on the head which I was thinking also. The chairs are a barrier where they sit now, and I'm glad that someone mentioned putting them on either side of the fireplace for starters. I would have just thought about removing them altogether and brought the other chair/ottoman to the place of the one on the left. The valances on walls of differing colors was an issue but I couldn't put my finger on it until Gary mentioned it. I like the recommendations of painting the room all one color.
The paned mirror is fine on the mantle--you can simply add some pottery or vases in a pear or oblong shape, anything rounded would be nice.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:40PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Regarding the wall unit. Paint the back of each section the red shade in your rug. Also "dress" the top of the unit with 3 larger pieces, 1 of which should be round, and one should be a green plant.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:43PM
stephmal
More great ideas and input - thanks so much! Love the Swoop Chair!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 1:15PM
stephmal
Help - Experienced Painters: When buying the paint to cover the accent wall, the rep told me I will not need a primer. He said the Benjamin Moore Regal Formula (I use Matte finish) will cover even the darkest colors in 2 coats. He wouldn't sell me primer, even when I showed him the photo. Really? I am skeptical.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:35AM
creeser
You might not. My teenage daughter painted her room red. Not burgundy. RED. After she got married and moved out, we repainted it cream in 2 coats, no primer. No bleed through.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 10:54AM
stephmal
Thanks - I'm hoping it works!!!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:44PM
stephmal
Re-arranged the furniture, will be painting soon.
3 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 10:33AM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
The new arrangement looks great, much more open and inviting!
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 12:02AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:37PM
judianna20
You received great suggestions. The room looks nice. May I ask about the windows? I don't care for the valances at all. They resemble eyebrows :>). What do the windows look like without them? Is it a window with a transom, or one long window? Are there mullions? They may be more dramatic with no window treatment. (I am not suggesting this red. I also would like your shaker beige on all the walls.)

0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 1:43PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Love the new furniture placement it looks really great. I would still go with simple to the floor and ceiling, drapery panels on rods that continue from one to the next, etc., in something like natural linen.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 1:46PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Don't forget at least 1 large green plant on the right side of the wall unit, and three large items grouped together in the center of the top of the wall unit. The eye will look at them and not the vent.
1 Like   January 21, 2013 at 1:49PM
stephmal
Thanks for the additional comments. I like the mock roman valences, but I think they would have the same "eyebrow" problem that Judyg points out. The top windows are transoms, but there are no mullions so I don't think that keeping it bare would work. Almost finished with the painting and will be able to post new pics of that soon, and can show you the windows with no treatments. I am leaning toward the long drapery panels that Barbara Griffith Designs suggested, and will probably not put the valences back up until I find the right drapes. Thanks, too, for the reminder about the 3 objects for the top and the green plant. I'm "shopping" around my house first to see if I have anything big enough.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 3:59PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
I am happy to hear you are taking those valances down--they really chop your windows in half where they are mounted. (I understand you have transoms). I do not recommend mounting window treatments below transoms because of this effect. These valances, a bit longer, would have looked so much better installed above the transom. If you end up with panels, please install the rod above the transom. On the fireplace wall,you have limited space for panels without making those windows look too small.-- think about one panel on each window--rod several inches wider than the window on the outside ends--covering more of the wall space than the window. Hard to see what the other wall looks like.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 7:40AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
When using the drapery do not add any valances, just a simple rod all the way across the top ..pardon the pun but it would be "over the top" to add valances. Keep it tailored, keep it simple, less is more. My best to you.
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 8:13AM
stephmal
Oh my, I see now that my comment wasn't very clear. Totally agree! I was not planning to put the valences back up - just meant I'd go with nothing -- until I find the right drapes.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 9:24AM