Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Do these match?
elmckie
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm having a hard time deciding if these coordinate. The top fabric is from a chair and there will be 2 of these in the room, both on corners of the rug shown. There will also be a brown distressed leather couch in the room. Thoughts?
Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
I feel the fabric competes with the rug.
January 15, 2013 at 7:14AM     
PRO
Artful Design Interiors
Scale is too similar. I think you'd be better off finding a smaller pattern or going with striped or textured fabric.
January 15, 2013 at 7:19AM     
PRO
JMittman Designs
The scale is too close-- How about something more like this?
January 15, 2013 at 7:23AM   
Aja Mazin
I would pull that lovely blue from the rug.
January 15, 2013 at 7:25AM   
elmckie
Thanks for the feedback. I'm stuck with the chairs for now. What kind of rug would you all suggest?
January 15, 2013 at 7:34AM   
Aja Mazin
The rug is beautiful.

Recover the chairs.
January 15, 2013 at 7:47AM     
PRO
Artful Design Interiors
What is the style you are going for in the room? Most traditional rugs are going to be close in scale to the one you displayed. Would you consider a rug more transitional in style?
January 15, 2013 at 7:47AM   
elmckie
Yes, I like transitional. I'm just going to get new chairs. I really don't like them at all. Do you think the rug will work with a brown leather couch or should I return the rug? I don't want the room to be too dark.
January 15, 2013 at 7:52AM   
Aja Mazin
YES!

The rug is beautiful.

Oriental rugs are timeless.
January 15, 2013 at 7:53AM     
mmilos
I have this rug in my living room with a dark brown leather sectional and gray-taupe leather recliner... Love it!

I agree, new upholstered chairs in a textured light blue, cream, or gold would look rich with the rug.
January 15, 2013 at 7:57AM     
PRO
Artful Design Interiors
The rug and leather sofa will look great together.
January 15, 2013 at 8:23AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
The rug and the fabrics have too much in common. They are both multi color, and have a lot going on.
With you rug try to start with an interesting solid. then find an open patterned fabric, more like the border of the rung
January 15, 2013 at 8:29AM     
PRO
Granite Grannies
Love it! You'll have a charming, eclectic look going one. Now, if you want everything to "coordinate" perfectly, then this wouldn't be the way to do it. However, mixing and matching patterns can definitely liven up the room. It may not be everyone's taste, but if you like it, I think you should go for it! Don't recover those chairs...that's a gorgeous fabric! They kindof seem like variations on a theme.

I have a 1870's home. In my "parlor," or "blue room," I have blue toile on the curtains, a lavender floral on one chair, a velvet periwinkle on another chair, a solid blue antique sofa, and a oriental rug in blue colors on the floor. You'd think it would be very busy, but it actually is a incredibly serene, peaceful, and charming room. I designed it to be that way because I needed a room to escape into when life was getting crazy.

I think, if you're careful, mixing patterns can produce a really lovely look.
January 15, 2013 at 8:35AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
something to think about as we use to say at the office, anyone can MATCH fabrics, but you have to be good to not match and have it work.....thus..dont worry with matching but concern yourself with finding interesting fabics that 'play a role' in the room IE: lighting it up, draw interest, add a punch
January 15, 2013 at 8:56AM     
judianna20
Do you own the rug or the chairs?

How about a simpler fabric and bring up the colors in your rug with pillows.

January 15, 2013 at 9:20AM     
elmckie
I have 2 young kids and 2 dogs so I don't think I can go with such light colored chairs. I own the chairs and rug, however I can return the rug. Gary, I agree with you. Could you show me an example of a rug that would go with the chairs? Thanks everyone!
January 15, 2013 at 9:55AM   
elmckie
Thanks for your input grannie granite! I bet your room is gorgeous!
January 15, 2013 at 9:56AM   
Aja Mazin
The fabric is dated and I do not see it with brown leather.
January 15, 2013 at 10:05AM     
elmckie
I just bought it last year at a furniture store here in NC. And surprisingly it was paired with a more modern couch. I bought them to go in a formal room but we have decided to not have a formal room anymore so I'm stuck with the chairs. If I can't figure out how to use them in the room without recovering them then down to the basement they go.
January 15, 2013 at 10:25AM     
Aja Mazin
Perhaps we could see photos of the room with the rug, chairs and sofa.
January 15, 2013 at 10:30AM   
mmilos
Yes, I'd like to see the style of the furniture.
January 15, 2013 at 10:32AM   
Luka Jacobsen
I have this georgeous rug with a chestnut leather club chair, walnut color solid sofa and cream color solid chair with ottoman. I have pulled all the colors of the rug in pillows for the sofa and chair.
January 15, 2013 at 11:30AM     
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
The colours definitely coordinate. I agree It would be good to see the room and the furniture. Does the chair fabric meet the rug or are the legs wooden? If they don't meet exactly (ie touch) then I think they would go well together, just introduce a different scale elsewhere in the room.
January 15, 2013 at 11:36AM   
elmckie
here are some pictures of the room currently. the sofa will be moved out tonight and the brown leather couch that is pictured below will go in its space. the current couch is 104 inches and the new one is about 88. my husband loves the piece that the tv is on even though it is too big for the corner. i'm open to any ideas. the room is 13'2" by 18'5". entry to office is 6'8". entry to foyer is 5'2". we need to be able to walk in and out of room both ways
January 15, 2013 at 11:42AM   
elmckie
one more picture
January 15, 2013 at 11:47AM   
mmilos
Nice! I think fabric on chairs don't go with rest of the room. You could slipcover the chairs if money is tight.
January 15, 2013 at 11:54AM     
Aja Mazin
Love the rug!

Those chairs clash with the room
January 15, 2013 at 11:54AM   
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
I agree, now I've seen the pictures, the chairs don't go, what a shame! As a temporary measure you could get 2 gold or navy chenille throws and a cushion for each chair until you can change them. The leather sofa will look great. Picking out the other colours in the rug (duck egg, navy, terracotta) would work for cushions.
January 15, 2013 at 12:13PM     
elmckie
i'm going to change the chairs- either get new ones or get these reupholstered. would it be worth it to reupholster them- does the style work with the couch we are getting? do you think this layout works? not too sure what to do with the empty corner to the right of the sofa.
January 15, 2013 at 1:40PM   
Aja Mazin
What is the style of the distressed leather sofa.??

Reupholster or slip covers can be relatively inexpensive.
January 15, 2013 at 2:15PM   
houssaon
I would have slipcovers made for chairs in the red from the carpet.
January 15, 2013 at 3:03PM   
elmckie
a picture of the sofa is above. i'm not too sure what style i would call it??
January 15, 2013 at 4:10PM     
elmckie
i think i want to stay away from red. my house was previously overloaded with red. :)
January 15, 2013 at 4:11PM   
Aja Mazin
elmckie.

Soorry, I missed it.

It is quite nice and your chair style is great with it.

May I suggest the beautiful blue in the rug?
January 15, 2013 at 4:17PM     
elmckie
i like the idea of blue. thanks!
January 15, 2013 at 4:23PM     
Luka Jacobsen
Definitely not red. The rug has more of a brick or terra cotta color than red. I pulled the smoky blue color for pillows.
January 15, 2013 at 4:35PM     
elmckie
your room sounds gorgeous luka!
January 15, 2013 at 4:38PM   
Luka Jacobsen
Thanks; it was fun! You have a beautiful room too; just some tweaks. I learned to only purchase things I really loved, not maybes!
January 15, 2013 at 4:58PM   
elmckie
that is definitely my problem. i see things and think "that will work", especially if it is a good deal at home goods! i need to find stuff i really love. do you have any photos of your living room?
January 15, 2013 at 5:10PM   
Luka Jacobsen
I don't, but I will try to post some.
January 15, 2013 at 5:29PM     
Luka Jacobsen
New to attaching photos!
January 15, 2013 at 7:00PM     
Luka Jacobsen
My other chairs
January 15, 2013 at 7:06PM     
elmckie
I love how the blue pillows pull out the blue from the rug! It looks great! Love your coffee table and lamp too.
January 15, 2013 at 7:16PM   
Luka Jacobsen
Thanks! I wanted you to see how the blue works. Good luck!
January 15, 2013 at 7:20PM   
yvonnecmartin
I think that the shape of the chairs work with the sofa. The advantage of reupholstering is that you can choose the fabric, not only color but also durability and cleanability. While it might cost as much as new chairs, you will have better quality upholstery. You could choose any color from your rug. When I did my dining room chairs I visited the upholstery shop and looked around at fabrics. When I narrowed it down to a few (well, six or seven) I took the books home to look at the fabric in the room. I had the samples for a week so all my friends and family could comment on the possibilities.
January 15, 2013 at 11:20PM     
elmckie
very true yvonne. thank you for you suggestion!
January 16, 2013 at 4:25AM   
mainstreetschool
Could you move the chairs into the office space? What is peeking out of there? Then go with blue for chairs in the living room. Perhaps a little smaller.
January 16, 2013 at 6:43PM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.