powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help.....my living room is drab and bland!!
danals
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am looking for suggestions on an area rug and accesories to finish this room up! It currently lacks character! We are in the process of changing the fireplace to a cream/light brown tile. Look forward to suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
The entire room seems a bit dark with the furniture and flooring. I would introduce some lighter colors for accessories or even lighten up the walls.

2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:15AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
A bright colorful rug and more lamps are needed for sure!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:17AM
danals
thanks for the suggestion! I have included fireplace photo. What do you all think about curtains, blinds or shutters? Privacy is not an issue.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:30AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
a pattened rug would be nice to offer the room more character, however the sisal looks nice
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:34AM
danals
what size of rug do you recommend? Also thinking about changing out the coffee table to a rectangular one that is more open to give the illusion of a larger room.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:07AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
one big enough to go under both the love seat and the sofa legs as well as under the chair legs, how big is the space?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:28AM
Crystal Chavez
I think adding a rug would be a great idea and maybe even adding an accent wall. If you're not used to too much color start with some great neutrals. These wall color stories might be a good fit-

Library Style Family Room

San Rafael Villa

Cedar Mill Home

Auburn Family room

I think once you find either a rug you like or a wall you like, you can coordinate the other.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:30AM
danals
thanks for the input! My room measure 16 x 14 so not a very big room, especially with my oversized furniture!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:49AM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
The room looks so dark, everything is brown! My daughter's bedroom is a similar colour and we introduced a teal/duck egg blue and the odd flash of hot pink, it really works. Also a large, light area rug will really help. Finally, the beautiful window needs no treatment if privacy is not an issue!
Take a look at this idea book for some ideas

1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:53AM
hamburgerbudget
If you have someone handy around the house, skylights, even one, are not expensive. Then too, you would have a better view, with that new light, to choose which direction to go.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:57AM
PRO
Katie Anderson Design Consultants - CCIDC #6679
I agree with some of the other comments here that adding a bit of brighter contrast with lighter saturated colors from pillows and a rug will help. However it will not have that much of an impact. What you need is lighting. Light is what expresses color and no matter how many colorful accents you place in the room it will still be too dark and the colors will not read well without light. Lighting should be layered, some recessed (down light and wall washers) to light seating areas and the walls/artwork, some decorative ceiling mount or pendant light with a shade/glass that will glow outwards and also direct light upwards onto the ceiling. If lighting is installed with all these directions of light carefully designed the room will be "washed" in color and you will notice that the colors you have already are actually much lighter and more balanced that previously experienced. I hope this helps.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 11:03AM
danals
yes the room is dark although in real life with the large window, not quite as dark as the pictures indicate. I like your idea of introducing teal blue as an accent color as there is blue in the picture above the chair. Maybe swap out the cream colored cushions for some light blue? Also think I should get rid of dark lamps for something lighter?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:04AM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
I would add a good range of cushions in different toning fabrics to add interest. Plus a rug. Plus lots of lights! A few more table lamps plus some standard lamps to add different height to the scheme. I've added a few more details to the idea book above to illustrate.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 11:21AM
danals
Thanks for the great tips, really appreciate it! I would like to switch out the lamps to something with a more sheer shade and maybe should add a floor lamp of some sort. Unfortunately a skylight is not possible at this time. What type of accent chair would you recommend I replace the brwon leather chair with?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:30AM
danals
thoughts on adding a cream colored shagg rug to this space?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:49AM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
I would go for a different fabric to add interest, maybe velvet. This velvet chair is gorgeous but maybe a bit dark. Alternatively, whatever accent colour you decide on, find a patterned chair you like. http://www.houzz.com/teal-chair

1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 11:50AM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:51AM
danals
love that chair
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:52AM
Sue Ann Stevens
I would go with a fluffy white or cream rug for starters, I'm thinking flokati or maybe something light with an accent color like the rug below.

I would think about rearranging the furniture. Maybe it will be necessary to put the chair in another room? The love seat seems to be on the wrong wall. I's blocking the fireplace and is up against the wall.
How about putting the tv on the right side of the fireplace and the couch and loveseat in an L across from both? I would consider couch stays as is, loveseat moves to current TV wall area (not against the wall, pull the grouping in. You may have room for the chair then near the door if it is away from the wall and on the left side of the fireplace. More lighting is a great suggestion. An end table between the couches and near the chair would be good for starters. It's amazing what the right lighting and enough of it will do.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:59AM
danals
thanks for the furniture arrangement ideas ! I have always been stuck with where to put things. Would you suggest putting the tv cabinet in the middle of the fireplace wall or more in the corner? If I did that would it be better to put the couch or the love seat where the tv stand currently sits? Thanks for your input!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 1:55PM
PRO
ACCENT SHUTTER
I would do a Contour Shutter in that window will look clean and beauitful, other wise you will have to do multiple treatments in the windows because of the arch!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:14PM
danals
yes, I wouldnever cover up the arch in this window. So the shutters would just go on the lower window?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:27PM
PRO
Appliances Connection
I actually really like a lot of your pieces, especially the coffee table. It seems like the entertainment center doesn't completely fit your style like the rest of the room does. Getting something with a little more character might help. Also, it is quite dark. I like the bay window. Curtains could add a little something to the room, but I feel like the room is too small for heavy curtains and they cover up the beautiful window. Ever considered a chandelier or maybe not-so-neutral paint or even wallpaper?
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 2:41PM
PRO
ACCENT SHUTTER
I would cover the arch as well, when you don't cover it it looks unfinished, shutters can be custom built to mirrow the shape and function of your window..that is what makes it look so custom
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:48PM
danals
Hmm..... the entertainment centre has to stay, maybe not in the same place, but in the room as my husband likes it alot!! The current coffee table is on its way out as well as the round table in the corner.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:14PM
PRO
Stuart Nordin Design
Definitely go with a lighter and colorful rug that fills the room (or do a large, almost wall to wall, sea grass and then layer a smaller area rug over) and I love your idea of switching out the coffee table. Try something in glass or acrylic to open up the space and reflect more light. Good luck!
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 5:20PM
danals
here are the coffee and end tables I am thinking about.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:36PM
danals
here is another view, what would you suggest for lamps?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 5:41PM
danals
here are a couple of rugs I have found! Please help !!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:11PM
towanda53
I have the Eva Persian from Pottery Barn (on the right). It's nice and warm in a south-facing room, but I'm guessing your room may be north-facing? If so, you might need lighter background, and brighter, more saturated color.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 9:57PM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
I quite like the first rug above and the terracotta could be picked up in accessories, I've also found the following at Pottery Barn. Just discovered they deliver to the UK! (Where I am) http://ab.pbimgs.com/pbimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201302/0005/img50i.jpg http://ab.pbimgs.com/pbimgs/ab/images/dp/wcm/201249/0008/img39i.jpg
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 1:31AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 1:33AM
danals
yes my room is north facing, thanks for the tip as I can not get to a store and only have the internet to go from! Thank you sunlight for the options really appreciate it .I really like the first and third ones.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:38AM
danals
what does everyone mean by lighter saturated color?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:14AM
towanda53
You are welcome. I struggled to brighten my north-facing dining room for months. I have heavy dark furniture, as you do. See the sickly, cold, bluish light slinking in through the window? THAT is your biggest problem. Every rug I considered died in that light. I finally resorted to this rug. It's quite contemporary, and may not be your taste, but you get the idea. Saturated= true hue, color; less muddied or toned down. A good decorator could explain it. I wish I had had one.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:58AM
danals
thank you towanda53!! I appreciate your help and photo. Slowly but surely I will get this done. I love your rug. I think that is where I struggle because I am concerned about matching my rug to my picture to much. At this point I feel like just getting rid of the oicture and starting fresh.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:46AM
shayp77
can i just ask how you got so many people to comment?? What's the trick??I posted a design dilemma and have had not comments....??
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 10:01AM
SweetDreen
I love your coffee table.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:26PM