Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen facelift needed!
mbhigh
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We don't have money right now for a new kitchen but we could do a face lift. Basically that would be refinishing the cabinets and new counter top. The wall/trim paint color and flooring are going to stay the same as it matches the ajoining dining room. We're planning to put cabinets beside the fridge also. I was thinking doing a glaze idea on the cabinets and going with a dark black/brown counter top. Would love to hear your ideas!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mmilos
I wouldn't spend money upgrading the countertops if a full kitchen remodel is down the road.
Glazing would not be good either since the cabinets are flat. Typically, glazing is done on raised panels and cabinets with more detail to highlight that detail.

I would start by changing out the brass handles and hinges for some black or bronze hinges and upgrade the lighting with some more traditional country style fixtures in black or bronze.
2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:52AM
PRO
A Crew of Two
Definitely replace the hardware- maybe wood? Painting the hinges will camoflage them- if you use an enamel paint it will stick. Have you thought about taking some doors off to create some open spaces to showcase your dinnerware or special pieces? The corner cabinet would be a good start or over the microwave. Display cookbooks there. I would paint the cabinets a softer version of the color you have on the walls. How do you feel about a copper backsplash? Also, replacing countertops is an inexpensive way to update a kitchen. There are some gorgeous ones that do not need to be ordered. I would paint the window trim the same color as the wall or cabinets. Upgrade to a sink you love- you can always use it in the new kitchen. An island in a wood tone would give you much needed work space. The wood will create some interest. An old table works great. Red seems to be your accent color- love it with copper. Good luck
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 8:43AM
lessismoore
It looks from your idea book that you'd like a more old fashioned, shabby chic, country kitchen?
The biggest obstacle you have in achieving that look here is coming from your appliances: fridge, stove, microwave, sink faucet ... would you consider getting an antique stove? An apron-front sink? Subway tile back splash? Your kitchen looks a lot like mine did :-) The cabinet were very sturdy, all wood but lacked the depth needed to have a dishwasher so we did replace them.
2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 9:25AM
mbhigh
Sorry, didn't mention, the counter top needs replaced because its rotting out around the sink. We were also planning to get a new sink. I like the idea of an apron front sink, thanks! Was planning to put a thin strip around edges of cabinet doors to give a panel look. And, yes, new hardware is in the plan! New stove would be nice, but not in the budget. Considered the 'open' cupboard, probably put that in the cabinet beside the fridge. Thanks for the ideas. Trying to put convenience, easy care, and style together is a challenge. And kid friendly! :)
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 9:44AM
PRO
Rustica Hardware
You might consider using a butcher block counter top, they look awesome and are at the same time very useful. See: http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-block-countertops/
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 9:58AM
PRO
Linda
One advantage of butcher block is it doesn't take special tools to work with. So, if you buy butcher block and then end up redoing your cabinets in a couple of years, the countertop can be reused. Granite is much more difficult to remove and reuse, especially if the configuration changes
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 11:02AM
angelanavarro
Your kitchen looks cute. I wouldn't use any tricks to give the cabinets a panel look. I understand that you might be tired of your kitchen and the simple 50's cut is not doing it for you anymore, but you can still squeeze some years out of them making them even cuter by changing the color and the handles. You can achieve a country/ shabby-chic look that will work with the lovely dinning area you have. Maybe inverse the color and have light walls and darker cabinets. But kill the wall paper! Good luck! It looks like a great space to work with!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 12:28PM
Darzy
With your white appliances I think a dark/black counter would be too contrasting. How about a formica that looks like marble? Check out this pretty counter...formica with a square edge and looks terrific. I think painting the cabinets, update the hardware, counter and a pretty "kitchen" chandelier and your kitchen will look like new. : )

0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 12:36PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree with your plan to trim the cabinets. I would add a 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 wide by 1/4" think square trim around the edges of the cabinets. Then I would paint them a crisp white (look at Rustoleum Cabinet paint). Change out the hinges & handles to a black wrought iron. I have done this myself remodeling a home to a cottage/beach look. Add a ready made laminate countertop from Lowes with some black in it. Suggest Belanger Countertop in "Labrador Granite" color. It looks like real granite the way it is formed. I also actually used this item to rave reviews.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 12:54PM
mbhigh
Barbara Griffith Designs thank you so much. Your ideas sound like what I'm looking for! Darzy, my kitchen ceiling is only 7 ft, any suggestions on a good chandelier/light that we won't be bumping our heads on? :)
0 Likes   April 4, 2013 at 5:12PM
mbhigh
Barbara Griffith Designs what would you suggest as the best way to attach the strips to the cabinets? Nail, glue, or both?
0 Likes   April 5, 2013 at 5:17AM