Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help tying my dining & living rooms together
Annette
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help on my art wall (have blk&wht family photos ordered for frames w/white paper). Happy with the middle, but need help on left and right sides. Also, dining is blah! Need new light fixture (and lighting in living room too) Thinking bling?? Silver or mercury glass? LOVE the ottoman stripe fabric, but I was told by Ashley furniture that they don't sell fabric seperately. How can I tie the 2 rooms together if I can't use fabric? Wanted to use stripe to band curtains and slip cover 2 chairs for ends of table. Have any other suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Your wall arrangement is looking good. I think the two candle sconces are too small for it though. Would take the ornate mirror on the right somewhere else in the room and let the eye rest between the window and the pictures. Would also move the large frame on the left., I think the center is where you should leave it. As for window treatments, I hope you plan to remove the vertical blinds as they tend to be dated and industrial. Consider just banding your drapes with the solid gray of the striped fabric. You might also look for a Moroccan tile pattern fabric in your colors for curtains and chairs, or for an area rug. Here's a pretty drum chandy and they're using a nice accent green. You might want to look into an accent color to pop things a bit. Also think a touch more black in the lighting would look good
Avalon Model Home
Tuxedo Chandelier
Indoor 4-Light Chrome/Crystal/Metal Bubble Shade Chandelier
Chrome and Black 6-light Crystal Chandelier | Overstock.com
Weathered Drum Gray Oval Ring Lamp
Indoor 4-light Chrome Antique Bronze Chandelier
Moroccan Palace Gate Rug Beige Gray
Slate Gray Moroccan Rug
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 9:45AM
PRO
Jo Cook Interior Design
I totally agree with taking away the right and left pieces from the wall. Keep everything else as is, but all need to be moved up about 6". If you can find a different striped fabric in the same colors, you can use that for a banding on curtains. But also, if you want to slip cover the chairs, you can use another pattern, as long as colors work. Maybe play up the beige color as a background and bring in one of the other colors. A fabric with a diamond pattern or moroccan tile pattern (as in rug above) would work. Good luck!
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:02AM
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
For your dining room draperies, I would find a solid fabric in the predominant color of the ottoman to use as banding on the draperies and also to cover the host chairs. I'd like you to turn your dining room mirror to vertical. It will make your ceiling feel higher.

For your wall collage, I would end it at the edges of your loveseat, or at least remove the far right mirror and the far left frame. I'm not keen on it going beyond the sconces. You've created a charming room of which you should be proud
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:05AM
groveraxle
I think both rooms look great, and will look fab with a bit of tweaking. I love the frame arrangement and would take only the mirror on the right away. Vertical blinds must go. The gray Moroccan rug posted by decoenthusiaste is perfect as are all the chandeliers she picked.

Do I spy a hint of green in the print on the chairs? Play that up a bit, in a throw pillow or perhaps slipcovers for the host dining chairs. You are well on your way to two gorgeous rooms!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:07AM
Annette
thank you all for the great ideas! I just removed the mirror and left frame, and it looks good. Love the morroccan rug idea, but I am afraid to add more gray. Will look for that peacock blue/green color to use as an accent for rug and dining chairs. LOVE the chandalier ideas! Those are very similar to what I have been looking for, so that's definitely next on my list! And yes, I hate those verticle blinds. Just need some help getting them down so I haven't gotten to it yet. I do need privacy for the window on the right as it opens up to our front entrance. Would simple white sheers work? I worry they are too frilly, but don't want solid blinds to block my view out either...
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:33AM