Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with 2 story foyer chandelier
njmomto3
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Okay...I've researched online and I'm still not sure about choosing a chandelier for our 2 story foyer. This is what it looks like now. The entry is 8 ft x 11ft and is 18ft tall. Obviously the chandelier is way too small, and for some strange reason, the builder installed it centered on the hallway rather than the room. The bottom of the windows is 12 feet up. What size chandelier should I look for (height and width) and how high should we hang it?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Aja Mazin
First, have it re- centered with the room.

What is your style?

Style would be a factor in determining size
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:32AM
M Designs
So far as the chandelier, first I would decide if you want it to be seen from the exterior. If so, I would do it proportional to the window. In this case, you would probably want to leave those blinds open all the time or even nix the blinds completely. If you don't want it to be seen from outside, then I would hang it lower, closer the the first story. What kind of decor do you have going on around that area, or are you changing that as well ? Also, painting that area would make it feel warmer and also distinguish it from the other open areas.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:45AM
njmomto3
Blinds are coming down as soon as the electrician arrives with his tall ladder. :) We will have him center the fixture. I'm not sure how to sum up our style. I know what I like when I see it. :P I just figured I should know the approximate size that I'm looking for. That is the living room through the entryway. We're redecorating it, but it will be pretty casual. I'm waiting for a black hall tree/bench to arrive that I ordered. That and the rug will probably be all that is in the actual entry.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 10:48AM
mmilos
Your decor and house style look traditional. I would get a large scale lantern type fixture. Something like this:

Agree on having it recentered in the room.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:55AM
njmomto3
I was thinking maybe something like this. It's hard to find something with some height to it because most of the longer fixtures I see are not our style (too formal). Definitely no brass and no crystals. I will look for something that has a dimmer.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:03AM
mmilos
^ That could work, but the upright shades would make this a bear to keep dust free.

You don't need to find a chandelier that has a dimmer. Just buy a chandelier you like and use incandescent bulbs. Have your electrician replace your current light switch with a dimmer switch. Or if you're handy, adding the dimmer is an easy project.
2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:06AM
Naja Frelich
It looks like you have a similar set up as ours. We changed out the builder's fixture with one that was size appropriate and to our taste, making sure it is centered.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 11:07AM
njmomto3
mmilos - I wasn't sure how downlights would do. I looked into getting a lift installed, but at $1200, I think we'll opt for CFLs and buying the $160 ladder when we need to change bulbs (if we even still live here).
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:11AM
mmilos
Get the ladder. I hate the light quality of CFLs...if you do go with CFLs, be sure to get types that are designated as dimmable.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 11:16AM
Aja Mazin
decoenthusiaste,

post your rug here:
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/261703
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:29AM
decoenthusiaste
Can't today but will try tomorrow. Thanks, Aja.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:10PM
M Designs
The light lift was $1200 ?
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 1:36PM
Aja Mazin
M Designs,

WOW!
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 2:17PM
Lkristine
You might like this fixture, it comes with plenty of chain that you could install an appropriately colored ceiling and center it also. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/9-light-Rust-Finish-Chandelier/5581081/product.html
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 2:28PM
M Designs
A lift that will hold 200lbs should've cost at the most $695.00 This can be installed in the attic and then lowered and the electrician can install the light fixture at the ground level, saving you the extra cost of them bringing in a scaffold to hang the fixture directly to the ceiling. And, if its in your budget, its nice to be able to have the leisure of lowering it and cleaning the fixture/changing the bulbs/adding shades or different shades, as you please.

Also, dimmers are wonderful and I put them on every fixture !
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 3:00PM
njmomto3
To clarify - $1200 was for the lift AND the installation by the electrician.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:25PM
njmomto3
mmilos - that's not something I might have looked at it, but I actually do like it. Don't you think it might be kind of narrow for the space though?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 7:05PM
daarnold05
I was at Home Depot earlier this evening and saw a black lantern similar to the one in the photo at the top of the feed. It was around $150- $200, I believe. I tried to find it online but they didn't have a picture of it. It look very nice for the price. You may even be able to spray it gold. I read on a decorating blog that Sam Flax Art Supply has a very nice color of gold spray paint. My daughter sprayed a hidious looking light fixture that was huge and in her foyer because she wanted to spend her budget in other areas. And it actually turned out nice and we love it! The fixture at Home Depot was large and would work in your space. Then you could use the money on molding, that you would've spent on a $12-$1400 light fixture.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 8:22PM
mmilos
njmomto3, I think a lantern would look very nice in your space. You need a large one though...probably 1.5'-2' wide and about 3' tall to look proportional in your space. Bigger is better than smaller.

There are some beautiful lanterns from companies like Visual Comfort or Currey & Company that would be large enough. You may even find copy-cat designs for cheaper.

I think something like this in a bronze finish would look fantastic (you can get other finishes and sizes as well)...this one is pricey though:

Save the $1200 for the lift and put it into a better quality fixture. Get a ladder instead.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:57AM