Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining Room Dilemma!
stlacy
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I want a dramatic, somewhat glam look with a dash of urban gypsy. I saw on Houzz.com the wallpaper that looks like cement and went wild for it! But it's very pricey and I recently renovated my entire condo. Would love your thoughts on my latest plan: paint walls under the soffit a cement color. I textured the wall with joint compound several years ago (you can't see it in the photos). Maybe I could shade some of the texturizing and make it look slightly cementish. Cover the long wall with artwork in fold frames (love the gray and gold). Then silver leaf the tabletop (paint base?). I would love to reupholster the chairs in something with lots of texture e.g. faux python or alligator - velvet? Colors I'm considering: persimmon, rust, bronzy something. Also would be interested in doing something fun with the underside of the soffit. I've been pushing furniture and artwork around just for effect so accessories are not carefully placed. Would love to hear your suggestions!!!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
The only thing I see than might lean toward gypsy are your throw pillows. Sounds like you've got a plan though and are daring - gold leafing and all. Have you searched Houzz for "gypsy?" Very interesting pics. Good luck!
January 15, 2013 at 5:25pm   
collettec
Sounds interesting and different. If the cement color is anything close to the sofa color, I wonder if you could you bring it around the front of the soffit part as well leading around to the kitchen for more impact. Like the idea of the silver for the table, if not sure how much you'd want to do, perhaps start with the base and see how you like it and go from there. Also like the idea of bringing in more of the couch pillow colors for seat covers. Good luck!
January 15, 2013 at 5:46pm   
stlacy
Thank you decoenthusiaste. I guess by gypsy I meant colorful and slightly offbeat. I do rather have a plan, but want to make sure the dining part of the room doesn't jar with the living part of the room.
January 15, 2013 at 6:12pm   
stlacy
Emzc, I was actually thinking of a deeper cement color than the sofa. Medium dark. Hmm - hadn't thought about bringing it round further. I think it might be too dark - the only source of natural light is a north-facing window so I have to be careful of that. Thank you for your comments!
January 15, 2013 at 6:19pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Painting the area under the soffit a color different from the soffit may visually decrease the height of the room. So I would carry the same wall color along the bottom of the soffit and on up to the ceiling.

There are some wonderful faux croc vinyls available in grays, charcoals and silvers, in addition to more vibrant tones, which could work well on your chairs.

My thoughts go to tribal rugs when I think of the gypsy part of the look you want. That could mean something muted like the first rug below, which would go well with your silver, gold, and concrete. The second tribal rug could give you a color direction if you want more vibrant tones.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Persian Tribal Rugs 1 Persian Tribal Rugs 2
January 15, 2013 at 7:50pm     
PRO
Staged for Perfection
I would do gold and silver frames in different sized and shapes for pictures/mirrors. Buy new dining chairs. Those looks outdated. I like the idea of carrying the colors up from the soffit to the ceiling
January 15, 2013 at 7:56pm   
stlacy
Carolyn Albert-Kinkl Designs I love the rugs! Also appreciate the info about the alligator fabric being available. Thank you so much for your comments. You get where I'm going with this.
January 15, 2013 at 8:06pm   
K
I have to agree on the dining chairs they stick out. I also would frame the floor to ceiling mirrors with a thick trim & paint them. Maybe you should also look at Moroccan designs. When framing in the mirrors you could use a Moroccan template to frame them instead of wide banded trim. There you could paint or antique gold/silver leaf them. It definitely could look loungish.. Having a room that has less light would only add to the look. Add some candle holders of some type. Have fun!!!
January 15, 2013 at 8:08pm   
stlacy
Staged for Perfection, I was going to reupholster the chairs because I just haven't found anything that strikes my fancy. I would love something unusual but they have to be very comfortable. Your comments about the frames are right up my alley! Thank you so much.
January 15, 2013 at 8:11pm   
stlacy
Nancydrew311 - you're absolutely right about the mirror panels! They do need "finishing"! I think I could use molding but what color would you paint them? Same color as the baseboards?
January 15, 2013 at 8:17pm   
stlacy
Nancydrew311- like the idea of antique silver leafing the mirror frames. Moroccan themes go right along with my train of thought. Thank you!
January 15, 2013 at 8:20pm   
decoenthusiaste
Just saw where someone got a cement look by doing all but the finish coat on a plaster job. They said it has lasted for 18 years.
January 15, 2013 at 8:22pm   
stlacy

. For what it's worth, this is the cement wallpaper I fell in love with. Love the shade of gray and the look.
January 15, 2013 at 8:26pm   
collettec
Like the cement wallpaper. Not sure how it could work budget wise for the amount, but one possible place you might put it would be under the island countertop in front of the chairs. If you painted the walls around it re: the surround leading into the kitchen along with the soffits the lightest gray it would tie it all together.
January 15, 2013 at 8:57pm   
stlacy
Emzc - thanks for the idea. Hadn't thought of papering that area. The long wall in the dr and the little niche at the end are what I'm going to attempt to paint to resemble the wallpaper (which is extremely expensive) if it doesn't work - it's only paint!
January 15, 2013 at 9:30pm   
sjkingston
What about uploading your pics to one of those websites that allow you to try out wall colors? It's hard to visualize what painting the soffits grey will do. At least they are not a lot to repaint if you don't like it. Agree that molding around those mirrors would be great painted in a metallic color.
January 15, 2013 at 10:10pm   
sjkingston
Oh wait, you said the walls under the soffit, not the soffit themselves. Makes more sense and easier to visualize. Could be really cozy and then if you put a grey/white patterned wallpaper in the back of the bookcase, it would tie in. Lovely.
January 15, 2013 at 10:12pm   
PRO
Cozy Casita
Try ebay for the wallpaper. I was just looking, for myself, yesterday and saw similar. I'm not sure how expensive the stuff you posted is, so can't say if ebay was cheaper but you might want to check. I don't think you should get rid of those comfy dining room chairs .. just cover them with something a little wild ! Zebra, perhaps ?!
January 15, 2013 at 11:10pm     
PRO
Cozy Casita
There's also a company called Brit Walls, who do a faux concrete paper (not quite as dramatic as yours, but not expensive either) not sure whether they ship or at what cost
http://www.britwalls.co.uk/product-details/276-Concrete-slab,-Brick-Effect,-Concrete-
January 15, 2013 at 11:30pm   
designideas4me
Link above didnt work

I think of cement walls with modern style furniture.
January 16, 2013 at 2:03am   
kidzmom3
I'd go with a darker wall color--still debating on color as I write this but something rich--seems like it would draw everything (your furniture/accent pieces) together. And, agree with covering dining room chairs with animal print or maybe deep, again, rich, "gypsy" pattern/color that makes you go "oooh" and change accent pieces (ex. pillows) to go with chair/wall colors you pick.
January 16, 2013 at 3:46am   
stlacy
Cozy we're definitely on the same page! I considered animal prints, particularly zebra! Was a little concerned it would get too busy with all the pillow patterns. But I do like the idea. Thank you for chiming in!
January 16, 2013 at 5:02am   
stlacy
Design Ideas I usually think of modern with cement walls too, but I'm looking for contrast and the unexpected (without going ridiculously overboard). And if it just doesn't work, it's not that difficult to change. That's one reason for going with paint instead of the wallpaper. Also, the wallpaper would require removing the "texture" I applied to that wall with joint compound. What a project and what an expense. Not to mention the mess.
January 16, 2013 at 5:09am   
stlacy
Sjkingston I do like the idea of a pattern behind the bookshelves! Great idea! Thank you all so much for your thoughtful suggestions.
January 16, 2013 at 5:11am   
Janice Monroe
I'd say keep the chairs, they are not outdated at all. They are everywhere now. Furniture stores and discount stores, I see them. Just bought one for my computer, so comfortable. And yes, if you are looking for punch reupholster them, see fabric stores. Can pin and sew untop of what you have and ad those upholstery tacks along the bottom sides. I also think silver paint on your table would be so awesome.
January 16, 2013 at 8:05am     
stlacy
Janice I appreciate the upholstery advice. These have got to be the easiest ever to redo. Will not do the legs however. You think I could achieve a good effect by painting the table rather than silver leafing it? I want it to look rather dark and a bit tarnished, not bright and brand new.
January 16, 2013 at 8:49am   
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Wow, what a great discussion. Just as an aside in Canada we call soffits - bulkheads. So I was having fun trying to figure this out at first glance. Older worn out carpets layered and even made into ottoman covers and/or large floor cushions will add to your design concept. I know of loads of garages and attics full of items you could get inexpensively - try local second hand resellers and antique dealers.
I think the wall will be simple if you approach it like a canvas. Paint the top 4/5 including the bulkhead in the darker low sheen grey and let dry. Paint the lower 1/5 in very light low sheen grey and let it dry. Then, using a paint medium that extends drying time add 1/3 dark with 2/3 light grey and paint a 6 inch wobbly stripe where the other paints meet - feather this out unevenly. With the same medium add black and hand draw lines while blotting and removing anything to obvious to create your blocks. Use more white with medium and some light grey to create the additional dribs/drabs kind of blotting.
If you go ahead and silver leaf your table top either cover it with a glass or coat with some sort of protective glaze. I feel ageing the top and really banging up the look of the silver leaf with black and then covering with glass would be most authentic.
I am looking forward to seeing the after photos.
January 16, 2013 at 9:14am     
Connie Abbott
I think a Moroccan stencil painted in a metallic color over regualr painted wall would look wonderful in your space. (silver and gold or tone on tone)
January 16, 2013 at 11:45am   
stlacy
Joanne, thank you thank you thank you for the painting advise! I can't wait to get started! And your suggestions about the table - exactly what I had in mind. Beat up but lovely!
January 16, 2013 at 2:10pm   
stlacy
Connie, a bit earlier sjkingston suggested a wallpaper on the wall behind the bookshelves in the dining area and I LOVE that idea. Now you mention a Moroccan pattern and I'm swooning. In gold and silver! Delicious! And I'm thinking due to the texturizing I subjected those poor walls to, that stenciling is the way to go. Sort of a mottled, partially rubbed-off look. And of course I'm kenvisioning it not just behind the bookshelves but all over the walls below the soffit. You all are amazing with your wonderful ideas! It is so energizing that so many of you get what I'm aiming for!
January 16, 2013 at 2:23pm   
stlacy
Joanne - where I hail from (S. Florida) bulkheads are on ships and airplanes! Thanks for figuring out what a soffit is!
January 16, 2013 at 2:25pm   
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
LOL - Soffits are on the outside of the house and help funnel water away. Glad to be of assistance - have fun painting.
January 16, 2013 at 2:29pm   
PRO
In addition to the kind of soffit on the outside of the house, we also call bulkheads "soffits" here in Texas. Also referred to as firdowns.
January 16, 2013 at 2:56pm   
DeHaven
Glad I read all of the comments before typing because my mind is running along with Connie Abbot. Thought Silver Moroccan stencils for the underside of the soffit. Maybe, alternately, partially coming up to the upside. It would reflect light in a wonderful warm way in that rather dark space. Very elegant. I would also NOT put zebra on your chairs but find a wonderful Moorish type fabric to continue the mood. They come in colours that can relate to the sort of rusty colour of the pillows on your sofa. I also like someones idea of using old carpet on your chairs... fabulous! If you end up choosing to use some metallic in the dining area, bring something metal into the living room. I don't see anything there like that now. It wouldn't have to be much... Brass trays, antique arabic coffee pot in copper, silver sconses on the wall... so much to choose from. Keep in mind that there are several different "silvers" out there. I have used three, silver, platinum, aluminum... all spray paints. My favorite was the platinum because it wasn't so shiney and had a richer thicker look. That could be great on the table and keep the shinier on the stencils. What ever you choose to do, it sounds like you are going to have sooo much fun and your condo will look goreous and unique. Would love to see photos when you have finished!
January 16, 2013 at 4:18pm   
stlacy
DeHaven thanks so much for refining the vision. Old carpets on the chairs - yes! Platinum on the table - yes! So many great suggestions and I thank all of you for the inspiration. What an amazing platform this is. I promise to keep you all posted as progress is made and I thank you all for this very special experience.
January 16, 2013 at 6:26pm   
DeHaven
This is the first time I am actually "using" Houzz so haven't figured out how to add a photo here that is in my "ideabook"... so, if you would take a look there you will see an Amazing bedroom in a very exotic Moroccan style... it is all wonderful but the idea that seemed might work really well in your place is the unusual idea of bracketts near the ceiling. This room also has a soffit on one side and the brackets go all around completely ignoring it. You wouldn't need to go so grand and heavy, but a few decorative brackets around your dining & living room could pull all your design ideas together, soften some of the modernism and encourage the eye to move more thoroughly thru the space. It may seem a bit over the top but I couldn't resist suggesting it.
January 16, 2013 at 8:26pm   
stlacy
What a great idea DeHaven! Over the top? That is my middle name. My sister has always insisted I install crown molding in the condo but in my eye that just doesn't suit the architecture of the building. I am not however adverse to softening the look. Again - I love contrast. Something elegant against something scruffy, the new with the old, soft over hard, etc. You seem to understand that. Thank you!
January 16, 2013 at 9:28pm     
suemyles
I love your rug and pillows. I would build the decor starting there. For a gypsy style, I would paint the walls one or 2 of the deep red colours from the pillows, lots of silver and gold accents, like frames, metal tea pots ( cool shapes), coins , scarves, chests for end and coffee tables. You can even wrap warm toned scarves around a lampshade to add a fun and mysterious lighting to the room. Have fun with this project! I would!
January 16, 2013 at 10:08pm   
stlacy
Suemyles you hit the nail on the head. I especially like your suggestions about metals. My very best friend made the pillows for me - he and I chose the fabrics together. He also made pillow covers in cream, taupe and bone for the summer months. I plan on switching to a sisal rug and adding a sheer linen panel at the slider that leads to the balcony. Love your idea about using the reds. And the scarf suggestion is wonderful too! Thank you!
January 17, 2013 at 5:54am   
PRO
When you go look as sisal rugs, also consider seagrass which is a little easier on the feet and a more interesting look, I think.
January 17, 2013 at 6:50am     
suemyles
Your summer colours will still look amazing with the coloured walls, I hope the light coloured rug will be for the summer too, then go back to the wonderful one you have there now. I found some amazing fabric that I used in my room that is red from one angle and gold from the other. It also has ribbons of the fabric stitched on for extra texture. That would be a nice window fabric for the cooler months as well. Keep the cement and cool tone accents for the summer then heat it up for the cooler months! If you would like the fabric info just let me know.
January 17, 2013 at 8:26am   
prettydog
You can make your own faux cement wall. I did and it's lasted for years. Here's how I did it. I had those faux wood panels and wanted to get rid of them but didn't want to spend a lot of money. So I remembered I'd seen this episode on the Christopher Lowell show years ago, where he did this technique...I went to the hardware store and got some rolls of heavy duty paper. I also got some vynal type paper because I wasn't sure which would work best...they both worked just fine.They were on sale and only cost me a dollar a roll. I got some regular laundry starch and I coated the walls with the starch and put the paper up. When that was dry I didn't even see the lines from the panelling. I got some joint compound and smeared it on sort of stucco like. You can smooth it out too. Then I painted it. I've painted it a couple of times and played with the idea of glazes etc. I love love love the cement-look paper shown above but if you use the method I've described and it doesn't turn out the way you want or you change your mind, all you have to do is spray the paper with water, pull it off the wall and clean up is as easy as washing your wall with some water. It's inexpensive and very forgiving.
January 17, 2013 at 10:01am     
prettydog
You could put the paper up and then apply the paint like Joanne Jakab described above. I think I might do that too. Love this discussion.
January 17, 2013 at 10:06am   
DeHaven
One more suggestion. I would paint your white cabinets the same colour as your wall so they look like built-ins. It sounds, that the way you are going with your design, the white would be a stark and distracting contrast to the rest of your room. Then, if you use the metalic stencil idea, use whatever colour you choose again on the inside of the cabinet. It would continue to enhance the glow of the room and make your displays more interesting. I am laughing now...Of course you can't put silver on everything, but this is another option when considering what would work best for you. By the way, I love your floors, they are beautiful! I think your new design direction will help to show them off.

I keep being drawn back to follow this discussion. Everyone is so helpful and full of great ideas, it is fun. It sounds like there are a lot of us who would love to be there to pitch in and help with your project.
January 17, 2013 at 11:02am   
DeHaven
And I love your pillows, your friend did a great job. If that is really your taste then I think you are on the right track with a sort of Moroccan theme, the colour, the texture, the design... yummy. Take a pillow with you when purchasing anything for the room. or better yet just keep a swatch of the fabric in your purse at all times. Great chandalier too... There is definitely a theme here.
January 17, 2013 at 11:10am   
suemyles
DeHaven, I have been thinking about the white cabinets & bookshelves. They definetly need to be painted too & I love the idea for the inside too. Wouldn't it be fun to help rock this room!
January 17, 2013 at 11:49am     
suemyles
Just another fun thought, what about that great chandelier, possibly some amber lights & crystals. Maybe a coin scarf interwoven through out. You can change the colour of glass with modge podge & gel food colouring. Just dip or paint on well mixed colour/podge & let dry clear for a new look
January 17, 2013 at 11:53am     
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi stlacy, Marie here.
First your off to a great start with some gorgeous furniture pieces - you just need to decide on the direction of the wow factor.
The gypsy portion has a lot of colour in jewel tones - which are not always associated with bronze, rust and persimmon choices - those are very earthy colours, and are more tuscan in feeling - which is where your home is now.

When you want to integrate that modern element of glam, it needs to be a thoughtful one and not just thrown in there because you want more sparkle. It needs to make sense in the room.
Below are photographs of one fireplace - two looks - that have different feelings with accessories.

For your space, I would inject a gorgeous black and white zig zag rug, with white leather chairs (not your dining chairs) cleaner profile. Maybe even the modern white ones shown in the photo.

I would even be so bold as to paint your table high gloss black, and then add antiqued gold / silver over that to the base of it - spectacular. What I'm finding in your space is the colour palette is what I call "safe", you need to push it to the bolder extremes of pure white and pure blacks to get the wow glam factor. This needs careful consideration to NOT alienate the white/blacks beyond the tones for the rest of your space. (warm black and warm whites should be used over cool blue-whites and cool-blacks.)
January 17, 2013 at 12:11pm   
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
If the black and white scared you, and you don't want to change your colour palette to a true gypsy - then go to the double-dyed persimmon - ruby red area rug-gorgeous!
January 17, 2013 at 12:16pm     
bygeorgi
I love your idea, maybe research loft spaces too. I think It's a combination of fabrics that covey a "gypsy" feel with some assorted vintage mirrors and combine that with some more clean lined but distressed wood pieces similar to your coffee table and you got urban gypsy! Maybe the dining table should have a finish closer to the coffee table. Some ikat fabric on the dining chairs and replace some of your sofa pillows with that pattern. I'm gonna try to attach a room I designed on Olioboard for you too see.
January 17, 2013 at 12:53pm   
designideas4me
Just trying to understand... I know art is subjective.. but................ how is it that this type of combination above........................or that other thread about "do these clash" can be seen as going together in any possible realistic mannor. I dont get it. I cant even deal with 2 shades of black. I dont see how these styles are at all appealing. Can someone please explain?
January 17, 2013 at 1:12pm   
bygeorgi
designideas4me .... it is totally subjective. I am an artist so maybe i see things from a different point of view. I think people develop a design style over many years and are drawn to a " feeling" or comfort they get from it.. And yes , the "urban" and "gypsy" do clash but if you really study any professionally designed rooms you will find it is the element of contrast either in color , texture or style that is what makes the room and what is usually different about the pro's decorating than the rest of us. I designed this room above for an imaginary person, I love furniture and design from the 40's and 50's this relates to that in no way shape or form . It's up to a pro to understand two shades of black.....
January 17, 2013 at 1:33pm     
onthefence
Love your look bygeorgi! I've always liked a skillful blend of two different styles. My personal preference is Modern with a touch of industrial or rustic here and there.

I appreciate a variety of styles. It's just that those particular styles aren't the environment I want to live in. I like the way you put it that people are drawn to a " feeling" or comfort from a space.
January 17, 2013 at 2:01pm   
bygeorgi
Thanks Onthefence... Its not the style I want to live in either haha! But i can appreciate what other people like and maybe give them a little advice to push the envelope... I'm striving to one day have an artful blend of my bf's more 60's mod and my girly 50's kitsch....... thats why people love Houzz... its the creative view points.... and the one piece of advice I have for everybody is to seek contrast in design... what is more beautiful a sunset lighting up a mountainside and the shadows it casts upon the other hills.....thats my best analogy anyways.
January 17, 2013 at 2:32pm   
jannielee
I love how you have mastered such an eclectic style. The first thing that caught my eye is your copy of John Singer Sargents' Smoking Ambergris. I was lucky enough to see th original in the Clark Museum in MA. He mastered the nuances of light and his subjects always seems to glow. I was mesmerized and kept returning to that painting. It was magical. Even though this piece is overall subtle in color, take some cues from it about the whites. The white walls are full of blue and gray and the woman's white robes are full of golden warmth. That combined with some terra cotta and persimmon in the tile floor are gorgeous!

I love your pillows, but would love to see them interspersed with a couple that have blue gray patterns to make them pop even more.

I can picture a soft, glowing persimmon paint perhaps with a tinge of gold on the vertical soffit and wrapping all the way around to the wall where you have the counter stools, then paint those in a deep, moody bluish gray. That area looks a little generic for your room. The right shade will not deplete your natural light and could even enhance it.

Your dining chairs would look beautiful with a rich medallion patterned fabric or other Moroccan tile-like pattern. But perhaps you should select the fabric after you have your table finished so they will make each other sing rather than fight.

Nice work.
January 17, 2013 at 3:25pm     
stlacy
You are keeping me up all night I'm so excited by all your fabulous suggestions. Saturday it's to the paint store to start researching grays for the cement wall. It absolutely makes me smile to see how so many of you get it. This is an amazing experience. But please please please don't make me paint the bookshelves. I admit I've been worried about that too but I've got more of them on the other side of the room and may want to use them all together at some point in the future.
January 17, 2013 at 4:14pm   
stlacy
Jannielee I'm so thrilled you recognized Fume d'Ambergris. She always enchants me and I've had her for years. Your take on the colors is exactly what I see. I love the way she holds the veil. Such a girlie girl. But her eyebrows tell you she is a woman of power.
January 17, 2013 at 4:18pm   
stlacy
Bygeorgi how funny you mentioned researching lofts. That was my original inspiration when I redid the condo. I love the idea of a loft, but when you see the view from my balcony, I think you'll understand why I didn't move to one. So I thought, what's a loft? Answer: exposed brick. That ended up being the backsplash and one wall in my teeny new kitchen. Old Chicago brick. And that's what's driving me to the cement - it's my loft with a view.
January 17, 2013 at 4:27pm   
stlacy
Pretty dog your technique sounds wonderful and like something I might have to try! Thank you for sharing the specifics.
January 17, 2013 at 4:40pm   
stlacy
Suemyles that info about changing the color of the crystals has my brain on fire ! Amazing. Thank you for sharing.
January 17, 2013 at 4:43pm     
bygeorgi
Suemyles.... thanks again for sharing about the crystals... think I got a project now in my tiny bathroom... it has a petite crystal chandelier ...it's going to be hard picking a color tho , its a blank slate. Jannielee , I love your color ideas, exactly what I'm talking about contrast, persimmon and grey look gorgeous together taking cues from that stunning watercolor...love , love....Stlacy, how about about some velvety curtain panels maybe in a pale persimmon to frame your view.... I think its going to be such a lovely room.
January 17, 2013 at 5:05pm   
stlacy
Bygeorgi we are definitely singing the same song. Your comments are spot on. I looked at your projects and the first thing that came up was the Parisian bedroom. Guess what? That would be me. Complete with the white cane headboard! Yours is to die for. I also did my en suite tiny bathroom a la Parisian. Love your idea about persimmon at the window which is really a slider to the balcony. I would do it in a lighter fabric however - every bit of natural light I can get from that one source is precious.
January 18, 2013 at 2:09am   
knillas
I agree with kidsmom3. A deeper color would tie it all together and I think it would give you that vavoom / umpf you're looking for. And if it's gypsy-ish you're after, might I be so bold as to point out that carpet you have under the coffee table for inspiration for a shade of rich violet. I also agree with shading the the texture in the wall. Right now things are very neutral and I think what you're searching for is a touch of pizzaz. A violet shade to compliment those bronze-ish throw pillows. Yep. Nothing says gypsy more than violet. :-)
January 18, 2013 at 3:26am   
stlacy
Knillas I do love bronze and violet together. Good call!
January 18, 2013 at 6:42am   
DeHaven
Sttacy, I'll be in Istanbul in March, want me to do any shopping for you??????
January 18, 2013 at 11:17am     
Lacy Alford
I simply love the throw on the couch! Where did you get it???
January 18, 2013 at 1:12pm   
stlacy
My darling, talented daughter crocheted it for me. It's my prized possession!
January 18, 2013 at 1:53pm     
stlacy
Istanbul! Very exciting and yes, I'd like one of everything, please.
January 18, 2013 at 1:54pm     
DeHaven
That should be easy since that is what is on my list also. You can get a round trip ticket out of NY for $650 right now. You should throw some things in a bag and go this weekend for a nice little shopping spree. There is sooo much inspiration.
January 18, 2013 at 7:33pm     
stlacy
Very tempting! Can't wait to hear what you find.
January 18, 2013 at 9:40pm     
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
A very nice space indeed. I would upholster the chairs in a paisley all over fabric like you would see on an old paisley shawl, The type that had black in the center and the paisley along the edges. It will give you the same effect as with using old rugs on the chairs but a bit more commfortable. Paint the table black and then silver leaf one side of a glass top and etch a design in it in gold. This will give you a vere eglomise(sp?) look. reverse painting on glass. while the gypsy look is extremely eclectic it does have a cohesive look and in my opinion painting teh wall and sofit different colors and then a different treatment on the underside of the soffit would be a great mistake. It will for sure shorten your room as mentioned previously. One of teh most iconic gypsy rooms is the one that was designed for the ballet dancer Rudolph Nureyev at the Dakota in Manhatten. I believe it was on the cover of Architectural Digest. It was full of items and lots going on but still had a calmness about it because it was so cohesive. This room might be a great inspiration to you. Good luck!
January 19, 2013 at 1:12am   
jannielee
stlacy, sorry to digress from your room,but about the painting... I hadn't heard of ambergris before seeing this painting. It's a waxy substance somehow cast off from whales and washes ashore in some areas of the world. The smoke from burning ambergris was supposed to be somewhat intoxicating and thought by some to be an aphrodisiac. This intriguing woman is using her veil to capture as much smoke as possible. Interesting yes? No wonder Singer Sargent wanted to paint her. A far cry from the commissioned Brahmins he painted in the US, although those images are gorgeous as well.
January 19, 2013 at 1:50am   
stlacy
Ambergris is also an ingredient in many perfumes - I like to think she's perfuming herself. One of my favorite books is JSS Figures and Landscapes - what an incredible body of work.
January 19, 2013 at 5:39am   
stlacy
Ipmenache, I love your comments, particularly about silver leafing on glass. Very exciting concept - I can see it! I abandoned the idea of a separate treatment on the underside of the soffit as my vision began to congeal thanks to all of the very thoughtful suggestions you all have provided. I think when I said urban gypsy I was imagining bohemian chic.
January 19, 2013 at 5:58am   
PRO
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
Yes i think that Nureyev's place was exactly Bohemian Chic. Allso the chairs coulld be upholstered in Black and then a wide stripe of fabric of the paisley could be used in the center like they did on his turkish sofa. Cant wait to see your finished product
January 19, 2013 at 6:17am   
stlacy
Like that too - I would want to see the paisley overlay off to one side of the chair rather than straight down the center. I like your idea a lot!
January 19, 2013 at 6:32am