Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me with my 1950 bathroom renovation
bre123
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Please help me! We are finally updating our 1950s bath (lived in our house 10 years). I want to do an update that keeps in mind that two children will be using the bathroom on a daily basis (ages 10 and 8). I ordered a vanity yesterday (furniture style with feet, 24" in a dark finish) because I loved it, however I probably shouldn't have done that because I have no idea what I should do with tile. I love white subway tile, because it seems so clean and timeless to me, but perhaps I should forget that and focus on something else. The project starts in a few weeks (why I needed to order the custom vanity). . . .Do you have any ideas to help me. I don't want to do this ever again, so I hope it is a classic, timeless update. Thanks so much for your imput.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Jeffrey Brooks Interior Design
Hello, I have done a lot of baths the size of yours and have a couple of things for you to ponder.
Consider using your subway tile from the floor to about 18" from the ceiling. Paint the ceiling and down the wall to the tile in one color. Don't use white though, look at gray or lighter shades of green.
For the floor use smaller sized tiles or consider a honed granite. Above the vanity either hang a mirror or recess a medicine chest with lighting integrated into the face. For the window you could use a pair of shutters or a wood-look blind in a stain that is in the same tone as your vanity. Whatever you select for the window, keep it minimal, tailored and easy to clean.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:42PM
bre123
Would you go with a ceramic hexagon type floor, or a penny tile? I am stuck because I want something that the kids can be hard on, but I want it to look great. I absolutely love marble, but I'm scared to use it. Would you do a white shiny subway tile in the traditional size of a larger one? Does subway work the best option or should I start with something new?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 12:49PM
Crystal Chavez
I don't mind the white subway tile, that's actually what's in my bathroom mixed in with a black and white pattern thats a little bit larger, I found these that might be helpful when trying to bring it all together. Maybe combining a few different ones might look good, or even just some nice paint- check them out!

Chevy Chase Guest Bath

Pedestal Sink

black and white bathroom

Society Hill Bathrooms

Contemporary Bathroom

Roanoke 4 Square
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 1:32PM