Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Does this rug work?
nlmackay
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi - I have an open floor plan, and am struggling as to how to coordinate the rugs. I'm thinking of getting a sisal rug w/ a brown and white zebra rug layered on top for the living room. Does this navy trellis rug work in my dining room? I have black granite in my kitchen (does that matter?) http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Luna-Moroccan-Trellis-Navy-Wool-Rug-76-x-96/7022233/product.html Then I can add punches of color through throw pillows.

I also just ordered these curtains, minus the tie backs:http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1159311&categoryId=cat1560031

**please excuse the mess :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Can't link to the drapes. I'd want to see them installed before deciding on rugs. Repost when they're up and we can rethink the rugs.
January 15, 2013 at 5:20pm   
nlmackay
The drapes are just plain panels, almost the exact color of the walls and a bit textured. http://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod1159311&categoryId=cat1560031
January 15, 2013 at 6:13pm   
PRO
Elise Moore Design
The large pattern and the dark navy are going to make the space look smaller. I would suggest this one instead http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Handmade-Luna-Moroccan-Trellis-Rug-76-x-96/6660485/product.html. The overall pattern works a little better and the gray color will still give you the depth of color but will not be so intense. I like the sisal idea for your living area, but would probably forego the zebra layered on top. If you want to incorporate zebra - you might get a zebra print fabric in an accent color (think coral or some bright color) and re-upholster your wood arm chair. Then you could pick up some additional coordinating pops of color with throw pillows on the sofa. If you are purchasing a sisal, make sure it is large enough to anchor the entire seating group and not just under the front of the furniture. It will make your room look bigger. Good luck.
January 15, 2013 at 6:28pm   
nlmackay
Thanks Elise - do you think the gray rug will match with all of the brown I have in both my rooms? I love gray and would love to utilize it, but have been afraid it doesnt go.
January 16, 2013 at 6:48am   
PRO
Elise Moore Design
Hi - the gray will go well if you tie it in with some accent fabrics in pillows and/or art.
That said, a good idea before you purchase anything else(including the rug) is to make a little collage in photoshop or even just on paper with pictures of things you like - the rug, the drapery, some accent fabrics, pillows to see how you are going to pull it all together before you start buying things. It will be easier to confidently pull it all together if you start with a plan.
January 16, 2013 at 12:08pm   
sealedesign
What works for me is to do a color palette of what is permanent, then go to store and buy actual stuff. Put it in place and if it doesn't work, post photos and ask for suggestions. Then return stuff and try again until you get it right. A lot of work but easier for me then total imagination..
January 16, 2013 at 12:34pm