Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I want my foyer to make a statement and I need some suggestions
kljgla11
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Foyer is narrow with a long wall that needs something to make it pop. I have tried art, mirrors, wreaths etc nothing says "wow". I am open to changing the light fixtures or taking them down, painting or papering. I just want to get it right!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melissamcmorrow
Looks like this area leads to your living room? I suggest an artful arrangement of family photos in gallery frames and change out your sconces with a slim profile design with linen shade lower to flank your arrangement. :-)
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:08PM
kljgla11
Love the idea of linen shades on the lights. I have a large photo gallery in the family room on the lower level so that won't work.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:13PM
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Your wall lights are small and look a little high. What are your thoughts on a photo gallery wall? and then you can have those wall sconces on both ends of the gallery.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:27PM
PRO
Art & Interiors by Lisa
Also, what about breaking up the walls with chair rail and painting it underneath or adding paneling to match your trim color.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:37PM
kljgla11
Like the chair railings idea . Would you put something above it?
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:41PM
PRO
Scott J. Mickelson and Sons
If possible open that wall up or make it a half wall exposed post and beam would look awesome with paint colors Chair rail,tile the wall with slate tiles ,or install wood flooring on wall and trim edges
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:46PM
decoenthusiaste
I'm in agreement with the photo gallery being in a less public area, like the family room, but prefer the bedroom or back hallway near the bedrooms. Your door looks a bit craftsman. Is that the style of the architecture? I suggest a tall craftsman style chest under your two sconces. This one I found happens to be a media chest, but if craftsman is not your style, try a tonsu or painted Moroccan chest.
Riverside Craftsman Home Media Chest
East Meets West
Hand-Painted Wood Cabinet
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:51PM
kljgla11
I cannot open the wall up. My kitchen cabinets and refrigerator on the backside. I do like the idea of a chair rail tomb real up the long wall.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 3:58PM
PRO
Otrada LLC
Graphic bold Wall covering in high contrast colors would make this pop. New sconces that are at the correct height and scale!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:00PM
PRO
Art & Interiors by Lisa
I would move the sconces down a little and put them more on the ends of the wall. Maybe scones that match the style of your pendant light. Add 3 colorful artworks of the same size or one wide horizontal artwork with a wooden frame that matches your door color or darker .
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:02PM
kljgla11
I wish I could do a cabinet under the sconces but the coat closet is opposite the wall. The width of the hall is 46 inches so any cabinet would mostly likely be to deep.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:02PM
komputercop
Use a theme. Like for us it's music and I've added photographs I took of various instruments. And then I added some framed album covers from my era to accent. Then sprinkle in an eclectic piece of furniture. Like for us an old telephone table (gossip bench) found at an estate sale. Use you imagination and decorate with items that have meaning!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:10PM
PRO
Time Travel Designs
My home is sort of open concept and there is no designated space for a foyer...so I "created" a space to the left of my front door (image attached). You can zone the space so it feels intimate and says "I'm a foyer". The sconces do seem a little high, actually.
Have fun!
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:15PM
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:31PM
AMN
I was inspired by this pic. Maybe a shelf with artwork over it. You could incorporate those or other sconces on either side of the art. I thought of this because, while you don't have room for a piece of furniture, a shelf allows many more decorating options than no shelf. Note: you don't have to use candles. This is just for inspiration.

River House

Since you're open to trying other light fixtures, have you tried wall-mounted (or ceiling) ones that are specifically meant to illuminate art? http://www.bellacor.com/picture-lighting.htm
Might make some past art pieces you've tried work better and create more impact. Quaker Bluff Residence

I like this one also: 162 white pine - new build

HELLO! christyj
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Design help
Looking for advice on how to make this room more updated/modern...
Cabinet maker painted our cabinets wrong color? NOT chantilly lace
Hello- We are 3 weeks from moving into our house after...
Vinyl windows, white or beige/tan?
I'm trying to decide between white or beige windows?...
Any suggestions for updating our fireplace wall in our family room?
I really don't mind the redbrick on the fireplace surround...
TILES CAN I "HONE" AN INDOOR TILE FOR OUTDOOR USE ONCE COATED ?
Hello people, Question time again. Im trying to match...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.