powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What would you do with this fireplace? Cheap and easy suggestions please :)
Andrea Mc
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am considering painting the brick white, and leaving the mantle as is. Maybe some stone-like tile for the hearth? Also pulling out the doors and leaving it open, with maybe an iron screen. Any thoughts?

I plan on leaving the knotty pine walls as is (for now), and painting all the trim white, along with light colored furniture. We are renovating other parts of the house before we move in, so are on a tight budget otherwise. I just want to make it look nicer because it's pretty ugly!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Paint the brass with black fireproof paint too. I'd beef up the mantel. Are you doing anything to the knotty pine?
January 15, 2013 at 5:06PM   
Matteo Dezigns
It looks like the brick surface is pretty smooth, if so, you might consider this...in the kitchen area at Home Depot, look for the square (12x12in) mosaic or subway tile squares. They are inexpensive, flexible, and you can trim to size. They are easy to install and will give your fireplace all new life! Look for some granite tiles (on sale) for the hearth and remove the doors and leave open. They now have clear glass free standing screens that are awesome, but you might have to put that in the 2nd round of budget planning. Just make sure you decide on what you will do with the paneling (paint color) before you do the fireplace so when you do paint, it will all come together.
Good luck!
www.matteodezigns.com
January 15, 2013 at 5:18PM   
PRO
Glen Houston's Painting
Paint and glaze.
January 15, 2013 at 5:23PM     
PRO
MHA Home Services
The brick appears pretty aged and even somewhat irregular and the hearth unfinished or stripped of the original finish. You might check at a local stone yard. They may have some very nice pieces of bluestone, slate or other natural material which often they end up with over runs at a good price. Basic thin set applications will set the hearth stone. I do stucco and plaster work. If it were mine I would plaster or stucco the finish in a knockdown to make it easier to clean and get rid of the old brick effect and give it a larger mantel to the proportion of the overall fireplace. The knotty pine is a great retro look. Good luck
January 15, 2013 at 5:25PM   
Andrea Mc
Thanks for these suggestions guys. They were very helpful. You are totally right about it needing a bigger mantle also!
January 17, 2013 at 6:32AM   
More Discussions
New Home Dilemma
We are currently in contract for a new house and the...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Help Needed With Kitchen Faucet
Please suggest some faucets to go on our kitchen sink....
Best flooring for big dogs?
I have 4 high energy dogs, 2 of them are large. What...
Uneven double dormer
We just built a double dormer but didn't realized they...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.