Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need ideas for decorating my living room
pcopple
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Any ideas on rearranging or walls, windows, etc?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Add 4 panels of pretty print colorful drapes on a decorative rod. Mount it right at the break in the wall and let them fall to the floor - a panel at each end and between the middle windows to cover just a few inches of the windows. Lower the art to 6" above the sofa back. Put down a large area rug over the plain carpet to add life and color. If you'd post pics of all four walls we could suggest more.
January 15, 2013 at 5:04PM     
pcopple
I will try to figure out how to add ore pictures on this IPAD. here is one more of one of the walls. the loft overlooks this room. Thanks for these suggestions. At one time we had sheers attached to the ceiling.
January 15, 2013 at 5:13PM   
pcopple
The rest of the room. Dinning room is attached, with entry area.
January 15, 2013 at 5:20PM   
PRO
Cheery Curtains
What about adding some nice drapes to the windows? Choose the design not too noisy nor too dull. Here are some designs you may like.

For more curtain designs, welcome to my Houzz page!
January 16, 2013 at 1:49AM     
barghout
of course drapes will change the whole look and will dress your walls along with a nice colorful carept
January 16, 2013 at 3:57AM     
newyorkgirl
Okay, this might cost several thousands, but it'll be worth it! You need to buy French doors, and paint the wall a bit darker brown. Just try it, and it will look really great!
January 16, 2013 at 4:15AM     
pauli12
What a pretty room!
January 16, 2013 at 4:48AM     
kidzmom3
Guilty of this myself but too much "stuff!" Step (sit) back, study these pics you've posted. Less is more. Quick ideas, yes to window coverings--pop of color if you keep same wall color OR darker wall color especially with whites/beiges in funiture/accents. White lamp shades okay with darker wall color, otherwise get darker lamp shades. Too many blankets/afghans around, find storage bench/storage ottoman to keep most of them in till needed. The right ottoman can double as a coffee table either with a tray or a hard top. It looks like you have several clocks around. If you want all of them on walls, I would make a display with all of them (sans grandfather) on one wall. Update your mirror frame in dining area. I would try to unite many of your frames and all lamps. Not matchy-matchy but definitely unifying with that wonderful tool called paint. All frames same color, similar shades, same with lighting--paint your lamp bases in similar fashion. You could update your dining light with a thift store find and update that to coordinate with the others. Maybe a tall floral or candle on dining table, looks like table/chairs need a pop of color also.
January 16, 2013 at 4:50AM     
Jayme H.
An area rug will bring in color, is your furniture brown/tan? Or is there grey in there?
January 16, 2013 at 5:10AM     
sguest35
Yes to adding drapes. And time to upgrade your chairs in this room. You have a nice couch. But add some color with accent pillows. I would move the painting that is being blocked by the lamps or find a new place for the lamps. Try moving some of your artwork around.
Your beautiful grandfather clock is being reduced by the fact that anther clock is near it. I suggest you move one of these.
And an area rug will add some pop near the couch.
January 16, 2013 at 5:43AM   
pcopple
Thanks for all the responses. The couch is actually a olive green on beige with a hint of red, the rocker is Olive Green and the other chair beige. I will be trying all your ideas and post undates. Any ideas on which wall should hold a few clocks? Now to find a large enough drapery rod.
January 16, 2013 at 7:46AM     
decoenthusiaste
You don't have to find enough rod. You can get short ones that just hold a panel. I've even used bathroom hand towel rods to accomplish this. Of course, a big long decorative one would look great, but if that costs too much, there are other options. I often suggest that people remove and box up all their decor stuff. Labeling boxes "Don't Want," "Warm Season," and "Cool Season," will help you sort through and pare down.Just because you own it doesn't mean it has to be out in view. Lots of little stuff and pairs, such as on the buffet in the living room, might be happier in your display cabinet.
January 16, 2013 at 8:27AM     
PRO
JMittman Designs
You don't need one long rod, you can get several spliced together and supported where the brackets will be installed--put a bracket between each window (and at the ends). You can cut down wood rods and use a dowel screw to splice together.
January 16, 2013 at 8:46AM     
Jayme H.
I was thinking I would remove a few things, add an area rug for color, go forward with the drapes, look for a different lamp for near sofa. A lower, larger piece of art over sofa would look nice.
January 16, 2013 at 9:35AM     
pcopple
These are all great ideas. I'm on the hunt for the drapes now. Will be doing a long rod. I have a few rugs to try in this area and can't wait to see what they look like. There is no grey in the room except for some in one of the paintings. Maybe that painting will need to be moved? Or can it stay? Thanks again to all of you. New pictures soon.
January 16, 2013 at 10:33AM     
Jayme H.
Can't wait to see it!!
January 16, 2013 at 11:04AM     
pcopple
Well I am on my way with room. Still looking for a larger rug and still messing with what to put on tables and buffet. Will be shopping for dark green throw pillows soon. But the drapes are up. Thoughts?
February 1, 2013 at 7:37PM     
pcopple
I think I'm all done for a while. Comments welcome
February 15, 2013 at 5:53PM     
PRO
Misty Doherty
The side table is to close, why not put the sofa in front of the window, move the big the chair with the foot rest to the other next to the side table, move them over a bit.
February 15, 2013 at 6:01PM      Thanked by pcopple
Keitha
Wow, what a difference the drapes made! Great job, it looks very inviting.
February 15, 2013 at 6:04PM     
PRO
JMittman Designs
The curtains look great! Good job. Did you end up with multiple curtain rods?
February 15, 2013 at 6:57PM     
pcopple
We found 3 rods at Lowe's that are designed to go together with doubled ended screws. Worked like a charm making one long rod. Thanks all.
February 16, 2013 at 8:34AM     
shelle12345
If I could do one thing to update the space it would be to exchange ALL of your lampshades for simple BARREL shaped shades. (Size proportional to each lamp, in whatever color you prefer) Already looking good though!
March 1, 2014 at 12:38PM     
pcopple
Misty Doherty, we don't put the couch in front of the window, mainly because we have a view of Mt. Rainier from that window. With the couch there you look right at it.
March 1, 2014 at 2:46PM