Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need advise about choosing a floor for my living room
Mary Pollard
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My home is country French and the living room and dining
room are divided by the entrance hall and staircase . The family room is connected to the entrance hall.There is hardwood throughout except for a tiled kitchen and the downstairs master bedroom is carpeted. The hardwood is in bad shape--scratched , worn, and faded. We need to either replace the floor or have it refinished. Need new carpet as well But the worst problem of all is that our MinPin puppies have completely ruined the living room floor and the rug . We were thinking that we need to put a a marble or slate floor in the living room . Would we need to put up glass doors or something to set that room apart so it won't look funny beside the hardwood ? Also , please give suggestions for wood floor finish and color. The colors in our home are warm tones. With brown, greens navy blue and rust. I look forward to any suggestions you could give.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
swewer
We have slate meeting up to medm hardwood. Just the usual wood threshold separates them fine. I also got rid of my green walls and traded for a warm taupe or soft light beige . Nice house.. Keep walls neutral
January 15, 2013 at 7:00PM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
Slate seems a more sensible solution than marble for a room with dogs, and it's no problem putting it next to hardwood flooring. Slate is not as slick as marble and more forgiving of strong cleaning products. However, I would not want to see any other tile from that room, so if the kitchen is visible, I'd consider that a problem.

If you can refinish your floors, great. I'd definitely check that out first. If you determine that refinishing is not possible, then I would select a medium toned brown wood, one that is not too red and not too yellow. Then it will be able to blend well with future wall color changes.
January 15, 2013 at 7:12PM     
Bonnie
I would refinish the floors and add an area rug or runner as needed.
January 15, 2013 at 7:23PM   
sondramartina
What about those folks in pic? Are they staying? :))))
January 15, 2013 at 7:23PM   
PRO
Shanghai Linfeng Parquet CO.,LTD
Hello Mary,we think it is better to replace the flooring in your living room with new one,because the flooring is in wrong shape,worn and fade,even if sanded and refinshed,it is just the new coat,the flooring have not been changed.

For the new flooring,Oak engineered flooring (length1200*width120*thickness15/wear3mm)or Oak solid flooring 18mm thickness with Random length could be OK,because it is not very longer,durable and timeless.Smooth surface and natural UV lacquer,it is brighter and warmer than your current floor.

About other things,such as if put the glass door to set room aparts,you may wait for further comments from others.
January 15, 2013 at 7:44PM