Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with exterior colour scheme
Mari
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am just about to purchase an old 1948 maisonette home, and am already contemplating colour scheme. I am currently contemplating charcoal/black accents, timber window frame, as well as a little iron lace verandah fence, and possible black picket fence. Possibly timber shutters and a flower box. The roof underneath all that dirt is actually red! But needs a clean and coat. So could go red or charcoal/black.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
If the roof cleans up, a beige with black trim. Carson Poetzl, Inc.

Bermuda shutters at a window or awning can add style all photo Window Awning
January 17, 2013 at 7:32PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Sounds like you have a plan go for it..
January 17, 2013 at 7:35PM     
houssaon
I like the idea of getting the red roof. I would go for dark brown instead of black for the trim. Will the picket fence be metal? Like this: Landmark Builders - Custom Home Builder or Mediterranean Exterior. This house is a different style, but the colors are similiar: The Adriana.

I like the idea of flower boxes but not the shutters.

Good luck.
January 17, 2013 at 8:17PM     
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
Your charcoal gray and black color scheme is spot on and classy. Then landscape with an all green and white garden (as many shades of green as you like including chartreuse and gray green). Also paint or stain your side of the fence charcoal. Olldj22 ideas about the roof, trim would work well. I would eliminate the existing red.
January 17, 2013 at 8:51PM     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
I like the other comments, I think you have a good eye Mari, you probably don't need that much help. I did a little photoshop to illustrate some of your ideas but olldj22 's and houssaon pictures are nice examples. The only thing I'd add to the discussion is if you decide on doing a new black picket fence out front, maybe set it off the existing drive to give a little extra space to turn in. Maybe add a coachwalk so guests have a little more room to walk up to the house if there is a car in the driveway. I like the character in the house, you picked a good one. Daniel
January 17, 2013 at 9:34PM     
Mari
Thank you all for your wonderful and thoughtful ideas!

olldj22 I really like the look of the colour combination in the Carson Poetsi, Inc picture, and the bermuda shutters perhaps for the side of the house if we need them. I also like that awning.

I agree with houssaon, it has to one or the other perhaps (shutters or flower box), and I’m leaning toward flower box. Depending on how the roof cleans up, you have opened my eyes to what could be done with it if I kept it red. The picket fence I had in mind was timber, illustrated in the picture.

Tres McKinney Design, you’ve described perfectly what I want with the garden and thank you for the vote of confidence with the colour scheme. I have included a pic of what the painted fence might look like.

Daniel (Stone & Land, LLC), thank you! That picture is fabulous, I adore that paved drive way. That is exactly what I would want, and great idea to set the fence off slightly for more space.

All your advice is truly appreciated! :-)
January 17, 2013 at 10:50PM     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Your welcome Mari, like I said you already have a good eye. I don't think you necessarily have to paver the whole drive either. I’d recommend doing driveway improvements after you’ve done the major stuff that might scuff up the existing driveway, like landscape contractor or fence guys with equipment and extra dirt or stone being scraped off of it. I was just thinking a skinny band of pavers to help out, maybe 3’ or however wide the covered walk is on the side next to the house. It looks like the existing drive is asphalt. You can just saw cut a nice straight edge and then install the pavers next to it. I also did the band across the end to help fix the cracked piece. You could have the asphalt resealed black to make it pop or since it looks like most of the sealer is worn off you could probably pressure wash and do a colored acrylic sealcoat. It might work but you’d have to do more research and ask some professionals in your area of Australia. I like the idea of a lighter color on the drive so it doesn’t get intensely hot on summer days. Here were a few of the color choices off this website I pulled up. Thanks for letting me contribute - Septic Tank in Chicago
http://www.sealandcoat.com/colored_asphalt_coatings/index.php
January 18, 2013 at 5:09AM     
Mari
Fantastic advice, will take it all on board. It's great because that's an area I know very little about, so it's very helpful to have some guidance. Thanks again Daniel :-)
January 18, 2013 at 11:48PM     
Sigrid
Your window is so low that there isn't much point in a flower box. You would be far better off with a garden/plantings under the window. Your house is always going to be seen with the landscaping. With a box, the soil/water is limited to what is in the box, in full sun in the summer, it can dry fast. In the ground, there's much more room for roots and they can grow much deeper in search of water if you're not home to water.

You can use weed fabric covered with mulch to create flower beds that are weed-free. You will also have an opportunity for far taller/more lush plantings.
January 19, 2013 at 1:21AM     
Mari
Hi Sigrid, I was worried about the low-ness of the window. And that it might look bizarre given I have a front yard. Perhaps if I really want them once the garden has been re-landscaped I can put them on the side window, which are higher and face out to concrete. Great suggestions, thank you so much! :-)
January 19, 2013 at 8:27PM   
More Discussions
Basement - damp to wet corner
Anyone dealt with a damp corner in their lower level?...
exposed edge of trim from plank ceiling
I am at a loss here. I am having the space over my...
Need help with living room
Looking for help with a new living room colour and...
Experienced dog owners,please help !
We got a puppy ,she is 4 months old now and my life...
Living room kitchen combo arrangement
I posted a few days ago for accessory help and was...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.