Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with small bsthroom.
armygirl1987
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Should I go with mirror or medicine cabinet. That is the vanity that will be in room. Also what color bath towels, rugs, etc. The faucet is brush nickel. Want a calmness in the bathroom. .
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
armygirl1987
Shower system is chrome. Plan on putting in a frameless shower.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 9:57PM
kathleen MK
medicine cabinet with nice large mirror, you can never have too much storage and a larger mirror will expand the space . Towels could be the color of the tile stripe or fluffy white ones.
2 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 9:59PM
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
If you need the cabinet space, there are some great new style medicine cabinets out there; one company, Afina has great quality. If you can do mirror only, I think something framed would look great. It's hard to tell what color your accent stripe is, but I'd try to find towels that go with that color. If you have to you could also add a decorative trim to bring out an accent color. Or you could go with an off white for towels and rugs. If you have wall space, look for artwork that has off white in it too.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:04PM
PRO
A Kitchen That Works LLC
I vote for med cab. However, I am concerned that the height of the faucet could potentially place the med cab too high to be useful.
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:22PM
celerygirl
We did recently the same bath renovation...We took out old bath tub and did shower instead.But...couldn't install med cabinet...House 50th...so different technology...not enough width between posts...
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:30PM
celerygirl
more pix
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:34PM
celerygirl
I like your sink!!! some more ideas
1 Like   January 15, 2013 at 10:39PM
armygirl1987
Think that shower curtain would work in my room and where is it from. Love the shelfs
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:46AM
Nancy Hehmann
I think a white waffe weave would give your shower a spa look. You could also do white towels with monogram. Check out Bed, Bath and Beyond for those.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 8:53AM
vineyardflute
Unless you can recess the med cabinet I would do a flat mirror, recrangle in shape hung horizontal and add some cubby shelving above it for extra towels or toilet paper. Another spot for a small bathroom is the area above the door, if you can reach. This makes a handy out of the way storage area that won't interfere with the room decor either.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 8:54AM
armygirl1987
No I couldn't recess because I have both bathrooms back to back and electric stuff was there. Think gonna put shelfs over toilet.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:29AM
armygirl1987
Carolina that is exactly what I was thinking. Spa, notice the floor tiles and bench.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 9:30AM
armygirl1987
So waiting on the final pieces.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:03PM
armygirl1987
@celery, I almost got that same sink, but wanted a vessell for a long time.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:15PM
armygirl1987
Gonna go with mirror I think. Have these two in my house thinking I could stain them. What size or for the smaller one would that style fit with my spa feel.. Thanks so much.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:13PM
armygirl1987
Forgot pics, keep on mind the vanity is espresso
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:16PM
iamchickaddd
I'd go with just a mirror, maybe frameless or a white frame along with white waffe weave towels like someone else mentioned.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:23PM
armygirl1987
Check my last comment and what are waffle weave toweks
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:35PM
iamchickaddd
Here's a pic
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 8:40PM
armygirl1987
@iamchick, thanks abs what do you think about the mirrors that I posted.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:02PM
PRO
Wyland Interior Design Center
You will want to go with a mirror or medicine cabinet that is smaller in width than the vanity so it keeps in proportion. It should also be taller and more vertical. I feel that a white framed mirror would to be far too stark and sterile. I think you should consider something more elegant that matches the rest of what you have going in the room. Maybe a framed mirror that matches your vanity wood similar to this job I completed recently. Keep up the good work!
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 10:20PM
iamchickaddd
Hey Angela, I think the gold mirror would work but vertically...maybe spray paint the frame silver to match the fixtures...or stain the wood one dark to match the vanity.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:12AM
Chris
Medicine cabinets are great, but only if they can be recessed. In our narrow "granny flat" bath, we put a flat mirror on the wall above the sink, but were able to recess a narrow medicine cabinet on the wall to the hallway... the wall to the right of the vanity in your picture.

I vote for the beaded frame, but think vertical or horizontal should be decided in situ. Perhaps decide what would need to go on those shelves above the toilet before deciding? Extra towels has a different storage profile than t-paper and female 'stuff'... and the latter two items are handiest when placed where someone can get to them without getting up.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:25AM
Nancy Hehmann
I actually meant waffle weave shower curtain but it looks like the pic that someone posted of waffle weave towels. I think the towels could be plain but with a monogram.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 9:09AM
armygirl1987
So I am going to go with the white waffle weave shower curtain, found it a Kohls today. But I just realize how much my room is spa like, I feel like I am missing colors. What can I add to the room that won't overpower but blend.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:48PM
armygirl1987
I am gonna go with the waffle weave shower curtain, found some today. Gonna paint the mirror that I have now. Was looking that even though I want a spa, the room seem blah. I love color and was wondering what color I could add that wont overpower the room. Should I go with brown brush metal accessories. or brush nickel.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:51PM
PRO
Wyland Interior Design Center
I would go with brushed nickel. It looks like your faucet and cabinet pulls are more of the brush nickel look, it would complement them. The brown brush would stand out too much and be far too busy. The thing I like about the brush nickel it reflects the colors around it.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 8:00AM
iamchickaddd
Maybe add a print with some subdued tropical colors
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 9:30AM
iamchickaddd
Oooh, wouldn't a mirror like this be pretty!
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 9:32AM
armygirl1987
@iamchickadd where can i get that mirror or something close to it. Like it except not feeling the purple. And will use the brush nickel.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:43AM
armygirl1987
Also love the prints.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 10:43AM
iamchickaddd
I'm thinking you could make something like this with mosaics...if you're at all craftsy...at one of those pottery places...like 'Color Me Mine'...I'd stay away from the purple and pinks, too. Or if you're not craftsy...try etsy or I found this place...http://www.dignanmosaics.com/mosaicsmirror.html

The first image below is from that website. The second is on etsy.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 10:55AM
armygirl1987
@iamchickkadd nice and you think that kind of mirror will work for sure. Thanks by the way will check them out.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 12:05PM
Patsy Castillo
Angela if you have an Ikea near by check their medicine cabinets they are not recessed into the wall they are beautiful. I recently redid my bathroom very similar to yours and I got my medicine cabinet from Ikea, I am very happy with the results.
2 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 12:36PM
armygirl1987
I found this mirror tonight and a basket for extra storage. Waffle shower curtain. Would it be better to put towels over toilet or on the wall facing toilet on s towel bar.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:25PM
armygirl1987
Found this mirror out today. I like it, yes or no. Also should i put towels over toilet or in front of toilet. Thanks guys. I also order the waffle weave shower curtain.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:36PM
panjatty
Do you have a linen closet or any other type of storage in this bathroom? If not, then I would say put a towel BAR across from the toilet, and a towel RACK above the toilet (like in hotels). That way you'll have plenty of towels at hand where you need them, and save the storage area under the sink for the things that are necessary in the bathroom, but not so pretty to look at. :) You could go all chrome, or a mix of chrome and glass to complement the vessel sink you love so much. Maybe something like this for over the toilet:
2 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 10:39PM
armygirl1987
@panjatty no linen closet in room it is down the hall, Likethe one on the left it is different. Where can I buy that. Thanks
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 10:47PM
PRO
JWinteriors
The mirrors with wooden frames looked too heavy. You could go with the mirrors that swivel on chrome arms. Love the green glass shelves as they would pick up the color of your vanity top.
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 11:05PM
armygirl1987
@JWinterior what about the new mirror,
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 11:14PM
shortped
I do not like the mirror with this vanity....I would think about a medicine cabinet that is built into the wall to avoid the bulk invests....I would use some cool shape with espresso frame to go with cabinet so you don't have too many finishes
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 11:37PM
armygirl1987
I cannot do recessed cabinet tried that, my other bathroom was back to back and electrical would have to be moved. Want to go with mirror.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:47PM
PRO
JWinteriors
I like this mirror as it matches the finishes of the faucet and keeps the light feel...good size too!
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 11:51PM
shortped
I think the color of it blends into the wall too much
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 11:53PM
panjatty
Angela - I just googled "hotel towel rack" or maybe "chrome towel rack" and then clicked "images". I thought I found both photos above on Amazon. However, when I went back I could only find the one on the left above. Fortunate for you since it's the one you liked. :) It's $60 and is in stock: http://www.amazon.com/Polished-Chrome-Train-Hotel-Drying/dp/B000P9VCL2/ref=sr_1_12?s=hardware&ie=UTF8&qid=1358674080&sr=1-12&keywords=chrome+towel+rack
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 1:32AM
panjatty
Also, if you can't find a narrowish, vertical mirror with a frame that matches the vanity, then I like the last mirror you found. I think it blends nicely with the fixtures. If you want a spa feel, I wouldn't go too "contrasty" which can be jarring in a small space. You can always add pops of color with the linens if you want.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 1:39AM
iamchickaddd
I think it looks great Angela!
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 11:03AM
armygirl1987
Is this enough color for a print, the words that I live by everyday.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 7:55PM
calikym
I like the last mirror you posted (silver) but I don't like the prints. The green will clash with your lovely tile color.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 8:33PM
armygirl1987
Thank you
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 9:02PM
alsad
Hi! i am redoing a bathroom mirror with a spa theme- I posted some pics to see what people thought and mostly they liked it so if you want to check it out search 'DIY bathroom mirror' in design dilemma. You might like it. It gives you loads of flexibility with colors, finishes and is affordable. I think the mirrors you have posted so far take away from your spa theme... i agree with one of the reviewrs about using a framed mirror with a wood frame that matches your vanity. Good luck!
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 10:03PM
iamchickaddd
It's hard to tell from pictures, the green in the print might go well...
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:32AM
celerygirl
Angela! Curtains from Amazon
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 8:08PM
armygirl1987
@celerygirl what curtain from Amazon. I am confuse as to what you are saying.
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 11:46PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Mirror always looks better than medicine cabinet - however, using a vessel sink in a "working" bathroom is never a good choice. You don't have enough countertop space for cosmetics, tooth brush, etc. I'd highly recommend changing out the sink for an undermount, or at least going to a semi-vessel.
Might want to go with a medicine cabinet to give this homeowner a bit more storage.
2 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 12:03AM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
Hi Angela, coming to this a bit late but love the "live, laugh, love" idea and found this poster on Amazon, I think the colours would work and you could pick out the blue as an accent for towels. Or look at other pictures with this theme and pick a different accent, a deep red or wine colour would be good. http://www.amazon.com/Live-Laugh-Love-Poster-Harbick/dp/B0072WM264/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1358846150&sr=1-13&keywords=live+laugh+love
Or pick out the green of your tile/sink
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 1:22AM
armygirl1987
@ MarieDesign, this is actually my bathroom, too late I already install the sink. I did ask about sink but did not get many response. But I am okay with that because I am working on having less stuff out. I am working on less is better and this might help me to ensure that I keep the bathroom light and airy.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:28AM
iamchickaddd
Oooh, I think Sunlight's poster is perfect!
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:31AM
armygirl1987
@iamchick the ones you posted earlier, if so where are they available.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:39AM
iamchickaddd
@Angela I googled 'subdued tropical colors' but can't find the same prints now. I did find this on etsy...it might work...
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 8:11AM
armygirl1987
@iamchick that is beautiful, reminds me of home, Jamaica that is.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 8:32AM
iamchickaddd
:-)
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 9:05AM
armygirl1987
Found these today
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:01PM
armygirl1987
And then there are these
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:03PM
armygirl1987
One mission accomplished, got waffle white shower curtain today.
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 7:05PM
iamchickaddd
Looks nice Angela. Are you happy with it?
1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 7:31PM
armygirl1987
@iachickaddd, yes I love the curtain, didn't get the pics cannot decide, like the words more so than the others
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 8:02PM
armygirl1987
Color block or one color and if so go with the blue or green.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:08PM
armygirl1987
I am thinking if a white memory foam or bath rug when you step out if shower. Yes or no.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:11PM
iamchickaddd
Bath rug...color block with green...
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 6:45PM
armygirl1987
One on the top right
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 7:09PM
iamchickaddd
Yup
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 7:43PM
jeanmroberts
Angela, we are on the same mission decorating in green and blue. Where did you buy the bathroom towels that are paisley print blue and green? Thanks! Jean
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 8:09PM
armygirl1987
@jeanmroberts, from my other thread, between Target and HomeGoods
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:32PM
nana4grace
Why don't you consider painting the mirror a few shades darker than the green stripe ( if you have to keep the green stripe), keep the waffle weave white shower curtain, use the glass rods and shelves, then add patterned towels with white background and if you cannot find a pretty pattern you like have a monogram put on the towels in a darker green or another pretty complimentary color.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 8:48PM
armygirl1987
I actually have this mirror on order along with the shelf suggested up top.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:56PM
armygirl1987
These are the towels I will be using once I get picture will add an accent towel.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:59PM
armygirl1987
So the mirror that I order is back order, so I am back hunting again. These are my favorite so far
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:37AM
Rob O'Daniel
What are the dimensions on the shower bench? Any thoughts on what would be the minimum size (or depth at least) for a built-in bench like that and still make it functional for sitting down to scrub feet, shave legs, etc.?

And what's the underlying structure? I'd like to do something very similar to that in our master bath shower, but I'm a big guy, so it's gotta be rock solid!
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 5:23AM
armygirl1987
He used wood and build it up. I will ask and get back to you.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:36AM
panjatty
Angela -- I saw this set (Kohl's) and thought of you. :) They have the stripes and the florals that can be mixed & matched.
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:49PM
panjatty
Then I saw these with the green & thought of your daughter's bathroom. The shower curtain could go with either color scheme (has a little of the green you originally liked for her bathroom and the blue/green color for yours).
2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:51PM
armygirl1987
@panjatty thanks so much I an work with those and Kohl's is one of my favorite stores
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 4:24PM
panjatty
Your problem is also your biggest plus -- you could go in so many different directions since your main colors are neutral enough. Wish I had that "problem"!! My new bath is a deep magenta color -- "Vintage Grape". I love it and I won't change it, but it's a really specific color and there's a LOT of it. One of the painters called it Barney purple... I now hate him. ;)
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 4:39PM
armygirl1987
@panjatty, I am at Kohl's and this is all they have here.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 6:24PM
armygirl1987
This is the bathroom as of now while I await the mirror and shelves. Let me know if rugs are right fit, size and color. Cannot find the one suggested by panjatty not at Kohls or even online.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:37PM
armygirl1987
So this is what the bathroom looks like as I await the mirror and shelves. Need to know if rugs are right size and color.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:37PM
armygirl1987
Also this
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:40PM
armygirl1987
And this
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:43PM
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
I love it! The rug picks out the green of the tile and sink plus you got the "live, love, laugh" in there! The white shower curtain and bath mat are very spa-like. It all works.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 4:16AM
iamchickaddd
Nice Angela! You even got your 'Live Laugh Love' in there ;-) Show us when you get the mirror.
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 6:33AM
armygirl1987
So mirror, should it he square ir rectangle. It will be higher under light.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 4:10PM
panjatty
Angela -- I found all of them at Kohls.com under "Bath Collections". Here's the link to that page: http://www.kohls.com/catalog/for-the-home-bed-and-bath-bath-bath-collections.jsp?CN=3000001023
They're even on sale! Yay!

I'd hang the mirror vertically to give the room more height.

As for the rugs above... I'd go bolder, but that's just me. :) Like maybe a darker shade of the blue/green you have in the tile & sink, but in a floral pattern like one of the ones from Kohls I posted above. I think the bolder color would look great with the white shower curtain & fixtures.

I love how you managed to get the Live, Laugh, Love in there! :D
1 Like   January 30, 2013 at 7:40PM
armygirl1987
Panjatty theyvonline but when I tried to add to cart no luck. Try and let me know
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 5:52AM
panjatty
Oh, you're right. It says they're out of stock. Hmmm... seems to me they shouldn't show them if they're out of stock! I was at Kohl's today and found the same shower curtains you posted above. That stinks!

I also saw this & took a pic for you... not your colors, but certainly your sentiments!! :)
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 7:04PM
armygirl1987
@panjatty yeah that bites because I really liked them but will get the shower curtain though.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:08PM
panjatty
Which one? Striped or floral?
1 Like   January 31, 2013 at 10:26PM
armygirl1987
The one available, floral.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 9:17AM
Rob O'Daniel
I'd still like some details on that awesome shower bench!

What are the dimensions of the bench? And what's the underlying structure? I'd like to do something very similar to that in our master bath shower, but I'm a big guy, so it's gotta be rock solid!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 10:12AM
panjatty
@Angela -- Nice!! That one was my favorite. It had the most vivid colors, I thought.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 1:25PM
armygirl1987
@rodaniel, sorry I forgot, it was 16 by 22. Made with plywood. And then frame with backer board and tiled.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:09PM
armygirl1987
Finally finish the bathroom. Thanks for all the help.
0 Likes   April 6, 2013 at 8:05AM
armygirl1987
Here are some more pics
1 Like   April 6, 2013 at 8:07AM