Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
blinds decision. Roller/cellular/solar or wood
murrayml
January 15, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Almost finished w/ the building of our house. Trying to decide on blinds. I love light, airy look. Want to do the same type of blind through out the house. Not a fan of the bulk at top that wood does when up, but the price is good and I do like that you can adjust the amount of light. Love solar, but can be very $$. Roller maybe a light material but wondering if they make some kind of cover to cover up the "roll" at the top ? Cellular are an option too, but worried about if they get dusty.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
murrayml
Also, I forgot to add... i am not really a fan of roman shades because of the bulk of the pleats. I always have my blinds up during the day. I would like something that could allow the bedrooms to be darkened so my kids don't wake up at the crack of dawn, however I would want that color of shade to match all the rest (especially if you were looking from at the house from the outside).
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:45PM
yvonnecmartin
Without knowing your style, I have no opinion on what you should select.

I had a company clean my cellular shades after I had them for six years. I had used a feather duster occasionally. They were a little dusty, but not really noticable. My miniblinds seem to collect more dust or it sticks to them more. However, we don't smoke, have hot water heat and no carpeting in this room.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:48PM
murrayml
Here is a photo of the outside front . I will post a few more outside photos later today.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:53PM
murrayml
another pic from inside.
0 Likes   January 15, 2013 at 11:55PM
murrayml
my style is transitional
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 12:15AM
annoulaxeni
You want identical style shades on all windows? I'd actually suggest you reconsider that as different rooms have different functions and therefore the window coverings meet different needs -- such as what you mention about your children's rooms. Also, do all your windows open in the same way? Does their opening or closing influence the choice of window treatment? Do you have privacy issues which need to be addressed?

If you insist on them all being identical, you have to start with the window with the most limitations to make your choice. For instance, in the second and fourth photos you post, those first-story windows have very little space between the top of the window frame and the ceiling molding. Even if you did like roman blinds or wood blinds, you couldn't fit them there, or at least not if you wanted to be able to clear the window completely when they're raised. About the only blind which would work would be a roller blind. And by the way, they can be installed so that the 'roll' is hidden behind itself. Alternatively, of course, you can always have a pelmet made.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:03AM
annoulaxeni
Also, in the double-story open area, are you planning on installing blinds on the upper windows as well as the lower? If so, have you planned for the electricity to have them operate remotely?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:04AM
kitasei
From a practical point of view, I found the black insulated (waffle) shades at Home Depot to be highly effective at blocking all light (they run on tracks, allowing no cracks of light on the sides) and moderating the temperature of a room with full eastern exposure in a high rise apartment. Without it, the room was ablaze before dawn and by 6 am the chlldren or guests were roasting like chickens. Our energy bill was also significantly cut. If you go this route, here are two things to consider: 1) make sure to install the shade to open in the same direction as the window (i.e., sideways for a sliding window) so you will be able to get a breeze when you want it, and 2) realize that you will sacrifice your night view -- a good thing in a rural area, perhaps, but unfortunate in a twinkling cityscape.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:39AM
grewa002
I like the non intrusive solar shades, but this is just personal preference.
I wanted to tell you that I love the design of your house
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:52AM
PRO
Dawn Hearn Interior Design
I think the cellular shades with a wider pleat would look good in your large windows. They would almost dissapear when raised. It would be nice, if the budget allows, to have motorized operation on the higher windows so you could elminate long cords and operate all of those living windows with ease.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:00AM
PRO
JMittman Designs
I agree with Dawn, it sounds like your best option is cell shades for minimal stacking. You can get these with privacy backing for the bedrooms. You definitely need motorized shades if you plan to cover the the tops of the two story windows. Cords hanging that length would look ridiculous, not to mention a hazard. You can leave those top windows uncovered--or consider a window film for them. Congrats on your new home!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:39AM
PRO
Scott's Creative Home
Today we have roller shades with decorative end caps, so a valance cover is not needed. Solar shades could be a good option, as they would roll tight and be less of a dust collector. Timber Metro Shades, a company I sell often, have affordable solar shade choices.
http://www.scottscreativehome.com/
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:00AM
angela428
Make your life easy and hire a designer, there are hundreds of blinds and heat is different on the north and the south as is the light. The same blind everywhere is like using the same chair everywhere.
Your home is where we get a glimpse of who you are and where you share your life with your family, and where you and your family have lived or visited , your style, your ambience and what YOU the most important person in this equation must look at. Some rooms I see with outside solar shades and simple long drapes dropping down.

Other rooms are Hunter Douglas top down, bottom up. Visit Hunter Douglas window treatments. And, then SinaPearson or Osborne Little and their amazing fabrics. Schumacher trims for a little kitch?

You can hide the bulk at the top with a board called a fascia and either paint it or fabric or leather and stud it with nails. Window treatments can be stained glass or a myriad of items.

I think you are worried about tackling so much. But you actually start one room at a time, identify what it is for, pick a style contemporary, transitional, or traditional and then budget.

From there we start with carpet depending if it is wall to wall or rugs and if so what type.
The reason we start here is the colors generally come from the carpets unless they are all grey?
Think about this a bit more and tell us more, your style, you ski, you ride horses, you paint etc, then these wonderful designers will work their magic. Children young older etc. Young children we watch for cords that can catch them and harm them. So, take your time.

Actually, I just moved 3 days ago, the bedroom has a blanket for covering and the other 21 windows have so,etching different, but I have not located the box yet. Soon, and I have beige silk drapes with Schumacher trim in a very contemporary bedroom with no doors to bathroom and amazing shower and stone, just this outrageous drapery going up and all art work and mirrors. Simple. It is a wonderfully sexy, fun room that is great to sleep in...
COConsultants
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:24AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would put Ripplefold drapery or sheers depending on the amount of privacy you need , It will look absolutely Fabulous on your windows a really clean modern look.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/ripplefold-drapery.html
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ripplefold+sheers&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=AVj4UKT7HOWU2gWgmIC4Aw&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1028&bih=951
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 11:59AM
kobley
Go to a show room that sells Hunter Douglas shades. They make a number of shades of various fabrics and some are black out. They all roll up into a cover that is inset as long as your windows are deep enough and yours appear to be. I also have a transitional house and like my shades to look similar from the outside. I used 3 different styles and they look similar from the outside.Good luck.
PS Do one or two rooms at a time and get what you really want.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:53PM
janwilson
have you thought about wooden shutter, they fit most styles, look great and as much as or as little light that you may want
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 5:03PM
janwilson
Shutters in white also
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:06PM