powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
White appliances... keep them or change to stainless?
sdnick
January 16, 2013 in Polls
Just bought a new house and need to make a decision regarding the kitchen appliances. The previous owner had a completely new kitchen put in with cherry cabinetry and granite counters but didn't splurge on stainless steel. I would really rather not paint over such beautiful hardwood, but outfitting with all new appliances is going to be quite a bit of money... All input appreciated!
Keep them!
Get rid of those!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
David Snyder
Black appliances not stainless!
January 16, 2013 at 12:38am     
olldroo
If the options are white, black or stainless, I will take the white. I would add some green accessories to cheer the room and live in it for a year before you do anything. After that you should know exactly what you want to do and give you time to save towards changes or new appliances. The existing appliances may not suit your needs anyway. Stainless steel is not the be all and end all and does need continual cleaning. If you do update your appliances you may want to consider ones you can add panels to match your timber.
January 16, 2013 at 1:32am     
MAlps
With the more updated kitchen like this one I say go stainless. Also, I would put in a backsplash to add some color
January 16, 2013 at 1:36am     
kidzmom3
Invest in backsplash that ties white appliances & cabinetry now. Make sure you would like it if you chose to go stainless or other later. I just put all stainless and I guess I'm an anomoly, I hate them--even being careful/at home a lot/no little ones around--still fingerprints! I would not get them again unless it's the new finish. Remember, (if your appliances are in good shape), being practical and being "fashionable" do not always equate, especially these days.
January 16, 2013 at 3:35am     
charleee
I would never choose stainless appliances, ever. They're cold and to me, they always look dirty! Love the white.
January 16, 2013 at 3:46am     
newyorkgirl
You must, must, MUST remove those from the kitchen and buy more of like a black marble with silver knobs on it, for a nice modern look,( I am the modern EXPERT trust me!!!) so your kitchen will give guests the right idea about your style in interior design
January 16, 2013 at 4:18am     
pauli12
If money is no object, get black. If it is, please keep the white. They are fine.
I am like some of the others and don't like stainless.
January 16, 2013 at 4:31am     
PRO
Reico Kitchen & Bath
I am in between! Seems like you have some great suggestions above with backsplashes, hardware, etc. but if you have to change would go with black before stainless. Good luck!
January 16, 2013 at 4:40am     
feeny
Your cabinets are beautiful, and the white appliances look fine with them. Personally I prefer stainless, but there is nothing wrong with the white. Whenever they conk out then you can replace them with whatever has come into style (and looks good with your cabinets) at that future moment in time.

January 16, 2013 at 4:41am     
mlazansky
White is timeless. I have taken polls of my friends and family and ALL regret stainless as time goes on.
January 16, 2013 at 4:44am     
PRO
Dytecture
I would keep the white appliances as long as they are in good working condition, but would install backsplash to dress up the kitchen a bit.

January 16, 2013 at 6:19am     
kitasei
Ha ha ha - Newyorkgirl's manifesto on modern was so amusing that I had to see who she was -- a nine year old! All perspectives are interesting, but important to know where they're coming from.
January 16, 2013 at 6:58am     
curacaoblue
If those are new and you are fine with them then why change. If you have plenty of cash then go stainless. I don't think black appliances would look good
January 16, 2013 at 7:03am     
charleee
Dy is right on. Again! Sigh......
January 16, 2013 at 7:52am     
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi sdnick!
I agree with Dytecture on this one, if the appliances are brand new, keep them! A new backsplash could add just the right amount of color/texture to help you see that what you've got is beautiful! A white glass tile with a little visual interest would look beautiful and tie into your appliances. Just an idea!
January 16, 2013 at 8:40am     
peggyrose
I have stainless in my kitchen - I love the look but no one told me how much fingerprints etc show up. It needs daily cleaning to look its best.
January 16, 2013 at 9:04am     
Nancy Hehmann
You know unless you are independently wealthy - you have a very nice kitchen. I would keep them. There are sooo many places to put money and some of them include money for retirement, children's education etc. Sometimes it pays to be practical. Who knows if stainless is going to go out of style eventually. You can replace them when they get older or need to be. Just a thought.
January 16, 2013 at 9:13am     
gharris8
I just upgraded my appliances from black to stainless. I LOVE IT!! It looks current and beautiful. I would definetly change the applicances to SS. Your kitchen would have a high end designer look as well. This is my opinion. Also, add a backsplash to liven up the look.
January 16, 2013 at 9:18am     
naomic1
I would recommend painting cabinents to an off white or similar color that complimemnts your white appliances. Also change the light fixtures over the island. If your appliances are in good condition there is no need to replace them and spend thousands of dollars. I have black appliances and thought about replacing them but I painted my cabinents and changed light fixtures and I am so happy with the new look and I saved lots of money.
January 16, 2013 at 9:29am   
feeny
Do NOT paint over those beautiful new cherry cabinets. They are the centerpiece of your kitchen. Painting cabinets is fine if you have 1980's builder's grade oak, but not with beautiful, expensive cherry.
January 16, 2013 at 9:36am     
curacaoblue
Please do not paint the cabinets. They are nice and painting them will make them look cheap. Painting cabinets is an alternative for people with no budget who have very old and run down kitchens not new kitchens.
January 16, 2013 at 9:42am     
alwaysdesigning
I would agree with others about keeping these and incorporating some backsplash decorating to bring in the wood tones and white as well as the granite color. I don't like stainless but others do; I have black and my new house will soon have black, a timeless neutral that recedes. If these are unused, can they be returned and exchanged?

Glam up the blah island/bar fixtures with new lanterns, or something in a "new" style. These can take the focus off your appliances, but also add to the overall kitchen appeal.

It's really not too bad, and if it were me I would pull out that over the range microwave, it feels dated, and do something with it below counter and replace over the range with a wood matching hood and a focal point tile artwork. It really screams "here I am", and otherwise your kitchen could be very chic with a little additional backsplash glitz and lighting. Good luck.

[houzz=Snell Kitchen 7]
[houzz=Sterling Kitchen]
[houzz=The Regency by Don Justice]
[houzz=Traditional Kitchen Remodel Reading PA]
[houzz=Kitchen Renovation, River Forest, IL]
January 16, 2013 at 9:54am     
skurland
You could do a Stainless steel backsplash in a cool size like .5x4 change out the pendands for something with stainless too
January 16, 2013 at 10:08am   
sdnick
I really appreciate all the great feedback! I should have mentioned in my original post that the appliances were purchased in November 2011, but have never been used. I'm talking to the store where they were bought now to see if I can work something out with them. If it wasn't going to cost much to upgrade to black or stainless, it might be in my best interest to swap. Would that change anyone else's opinion? I should also mention that this house is to be rented out in the summer months, so it's not just my personal preferences coming into play here...
January 16, 2013 at 10:16am   
lmichaud
Stay with the white, I just moved and the only way to get the convection oven was to go stainless it drives me crazy with smudges. I miss my white fridge that is now in the garage.
January 16, 2013 at 10:42am     
gharris8
Well, since you are renting out your home in the summer months I wouldn't purchase SS. I would keep the white appliances and spruce the kitchen up by adding a backsplash and changing light fixtures.
January 16, 2013 at 6:41pm     
PRO
TrendWest Millwork Ltd.
Check with the manufacturer and see if you can order stainless handles for your white appliances.
January 16, 2013 at 6:46pm   
avnetd1
I think the white sticks out like a sore thumb with those cabs. Switch to stainless for a more designer look. Yes stainless smudges, but it's not as impractical as, say, installing white carpet.
January 16, 2013 at 6:52pm   
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
My 2 cents--if you're going to change them anyway, black looks just smashing with cherry cabinets! I have had that combination in my kitchen for the past 26 years and it still looks wonderful. I've had guests who comment that my kitchen looks like it was done only a few years ago. Black and cherry is timeless!
That being said, I do have a built-in refrigerator with cherry panels to match the cabinets, so the only black that really stands out is the dishwasher and the double ovens. I don't much like black, white or stainless steel refrigerators.
January 16, 2013 at 6:55pm   
jenniferruth
I know white is not particularly popular right now, but it has some real advantages. I think white helps to keep the kitchen brighter, which makes it a more pleasant place to be. White doesn't get finger smudges on it, so it's less work. And it goes well with any color you want to use--now, or in the future when you're ready for a change. It's classic.
January 16, 2013 at 8:05pm     
bluedog13
I have cupboards the same color, I put in stainless appliances and removed the white, it looks great.
January 16, 2013 at 8:09pm   
rocketjcat
Old post.
March 23, 2014 at 7:12pm     
smarterthandog
Darn, deleted.
March 23, 2014 at 7:18pm