Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help bringing the colours together
carolmarsha
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love the colours red and purple. I'm working towards that cozy, rich dramatic-romantic look but I'm not sure it's working! What can I introduce to my (tiny) room to bring these competing colours together, and achieve the look?(I'd like to maintain the bedding and paint colour)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MAlps
The color on the wall is not purple but lavendar. Also, purple and red are to heavy dramatic colors and the space seems tooo small for that. I would do all the walls white and perhaps a accent wall, either red or purple. Also, I think a skirt around the bottom of the beds and a couple more pillows would make this room more inviting
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 2:23AM
Natalie
Hi---I think one should be omitted---decide which of the two you prefer and proceed from there. If it's the wall color-then a bedding which has vivid hues (wall color and headboard) of purple and orange would be ideal. If the bedding must stay then a smokey oyster or a mink hue (both have purple undertones but are muted color like the bedding) would coordinate well with the linens. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck! http://www.allmodern.com/Bacati-Dots-and-Stripes-Spice-Bedding-Collection-BCA1473.html
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:13AM
charleee
Your comforter is very pretty but it's overpowering the small room. Try changing the shams to a solid color, and add a solid color throw at the end of the bed. If you want to see more of your headboard, try laying the pillows flat instead of propping them up against it.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:21AM
MAlps
I agree with Natalie and olldbobbi- I would do a softer color, and the head baord is barely visible
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:03AM
orangecamera
My first thought when I read red and purple was "jewel tones", but that's not what I'm seeing in the picture. If you really like red and purple, go for jewel tones of those (ruby and amethyst) and add emerald green. (Not that paint color "emerald", but a real emerald green.

You'll need something to keep it from being overwhelming, so think about using glass lamp bases in one or more of your colors.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 4:13AM
carolmarsha
Thanks for the super tips everyone
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 9:29AM