Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need curb appeal
suebrou
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are trying to come up with some ideas to give our home some curb appeal before we put it on the market. Can't stand the protruding roof over the bay window, and there's no sense of "entry". Got any ideas?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
suebrou
Here's another view of the house: I am open to changing paint color, removing the shakes to add stucco, changing windows and doors......
January 16, 2013 at 6:26am   
PRO
All 4 Show, LLC
I would extend out (into the grass more) the garden on both sides of the walkway. Add more color with seasonal appropriate flowers. You have an adorable home...adding a new doormat and wreath for the door will make it more inviting to potential buyers also. Good luck....
January 16, 2013 at 6:35am     
greenpasturesfarm
I agree, some landscaping in front of the walkway would give a nice 3 dimensional look and might serve as a framework for your front door. It is a beautiful home!
January 16, 2013 at 6:38am   
apple_pie_order
Your house is already beautiful. The bay window is gorgeous. There is no need to change paint, shingles or windows.

Just do as All 4 Show suggests: flowers, a new doormat, wreath for the door.
January 16, 2013 at 6:45am     
Dar Eckert
Your house is beautiful! You definately need some landscaping help. That small tree is too close to the house. It is also monochormatic. Even winter in winter plants have texture and varying colors. Go to your landscaper and get some ideas. The roof over the bay would look lovely with a copper roof but pricey even a black standing seam metal roof would be nice. If you ar selling though, just paint the front door and attractive color like medium blue add something to the flower boxes check with the landscaper to see what you could use. The flower urns next to the house disappear due to dark color so look for something a little brighter.Blue Door
Cottage and Vine
January 16, 2013 at 6:45am     
grannygown
I love the House as is..I would paint the Door a Brighter Color to make it standout and have some type of flowers at the turn in the Walkway that compliment the Door color.. What a Beautiful Home...
January 16, 2013 at 6:50am   
PRO
By Design EK
Love it so cute! I agree the roof above the bay window is too fitted maybe? It needs something. I think adding a bit of a porch or roof line from the bay window to end at the garage would be nice but if you are selling this may be a big investment. So to spruce it up I think I would remove the screen or storm door, if you can't paint it to match the door, and paint the door a nice inviting color. I like plums right now but a cranberry red would be nice as well. Cut back the tall bush/tree and hedges that are between the door and garage, they may be nice plants but they block the sigh-line to the door, or maybe move them and put smaller bushes like the ones below the bay window. I could see building an open pergola from the door across, this would give you the feel of a porch without it being heavy. Or I would maybe change the roof above the bay window to copper sheeting and have it extend out a bit further with some simple corbels underneath and this would give make the bay window more of a focal point. Also I would change the light above the door two a double light that hangs down over the door a bit, if you go with the copper roof accent have the light fixture match. Consult with a realtor, don't spend more than you need, it seems to me this house should sell as is! Very nice looking!
January 16, 2013 at 7:01am     
suebrou
Thank you all for the help....looks like I am off to the landscaper's and then in search of paint and accessories for the front door!
January 16, 2013 at 7:25am   
groveraxle
I agree that the home already has a lot of curb appeal. I would ask a realtor what s/he thinks would be the most cost-effective way to punch it up a notch. I'm guessing all you need is a pot or two of bright colored flowers.
January 16, 2013 at 7:27am   
vineyardflute
I was thinking a nice bench on an angle would draw the eye towards the front door, along with some colorful low plantings to direct the path.
January 16, 2013 at 9:11am