Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need new furniture and room design for lopsided living/family room
greenpasturesfarm
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm shopping for new living room furniture for our 1780s farmhouse. We don't have a family room, so I want this room to be comfortable and casual with a hint of country. The room is a bit lopsided - we have a wood burning stove/chimney that is not in the center of the room, a wall that is the staircase to the upper floor, and a big opening between the LR and DR. Any suggestions for furniture and placement of furniture are most welcome!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynnpalazzo
I love your ceilings and wall colour. Will leave advice the designers .
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:36AM
greenpasturesfarm
Thanks Lynn, they are Benjamin Moore's Barely Beige walls and Decorator White trim.
I'm going to add more pics because the lopsided part of room is not shown here.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:05AM
greenpasturesfarm
oops
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:08AM
Nancy Hehmann
I love the floors and ceilings. Have you gone to antique stores or malls to see what they have there. I don't always like a whole house full of antiques but for the wooden furniture it may help you keep the country look you desire. I have seen some pieces that have been white washed too that look good; but if the wood is good you may not want to paint. If you find a flat top trunk, you could use that for a coffee table.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:18AM
carol02
Love your house - already looks comfy to me! I am not sure how you plan on using the room or how many people you want to seat? ...but if if was my choice I would get two matching sofa and place them perpendicular to the TV. I would get a fairly large square coffee table (glass or at least open bottomed - so you could see your beautiful rug) and two ottomans or longer padded bench that I would keep where the black chair by the wood stove. The ottomans or bench could be pulled up for extra seating parallel to the TV for company or pulled in front of the wood stove on a cold morning. Of course you will have to measure out the room and make sure of the dimensions of the pieces - I use "floorplanner.com" before I purchase anything to make sure it fits. Hope this helps, you have a beautiful house and have already made good choices. :)
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:42AM
greenpasturesfarm
Thanks for all the compliments - the room is nice, but getting worn (you can't see the huge rip in the sofa)! Your advice is great about the antique side tables and 2 sofas on either side of tv with glass coffee table. I'll try floorplanner.com because it may be tight getting a sofa on the wall where the wood stove is. I think a loveseat would fit.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:53AM
decoenthusiaste
Lovely home, and yes, awkward. Shopping really is in order as your furniture appears to have been purchased back with all the oversized was so popular so pieces are eating up the space where they are .Your nook to the left of the stone chimney is a perfect reading corner. Buy a smaller chair - I'd prefer a swiveling glider or rocker - and a bookcase, maybe a doored barrister style or other medium to low one, to fit left of the window. If the table by the stairs will fit against that chimney end with a lamp, I'd add it to the nook. In place of the lounger under the stairs, I'd suggest a farmhouse bench, perhaps with storage area for baskets or old crates (for kindling, etc,) just to serve as a spot to sit by the fire. Try a vertical piece of art or even vintage farm tool above it. Replace your sofa with two smaller ones (2-seaters) in an "L". One could be a double lounger style facing the TV so hubby doesn't feel like he's lost his black chair. When you rearrange, lower your art. Pieces not anchored to furniture should have their center about 60" above the floor. Those with furniture should have their bottoms about 5-8" above the piece they're with. Consider hanging antique photos, farming implements or family portraits in antique frames (or a mix of all three) up the stairwell.Don't know how rustic you might want to go, but an older look to the TV console and coffee table might work.
3 High Barristers Bookcase
Cambria 3 Drawer Low Bookcase
Farmhouse Bench - Walnut
Illusorio Console
Aspen Rustic Wood Coffee Table
Copper Coffee Table - Wood Pedestal Base
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 8:14AM
Eileen Graham
Great pieces! I love that rug. How about trying this:

You're blocking that wonderful fireplace, so I'd move the black leather chair to the DR side of the room where the couch is. Place at an angle. Then center the small table in the wall by the staircase. Maybe add a brass table lamp or something? Then move the couch to directly face the TV/credenza (on the rug). Not sure what to do about the coffee table, so I'll leave that suggestion to someone else. It could do with a hardware upgrade if you want to keep it.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:21AM
Eileen Graham
I also like the idea of a bench by the stove, replacing the table. Definitely want a place to perch!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:23AM
greenpasturesfarm
Thanks so much for all the thought and suggestions! I would love to move the sofa directly facing the tv, but it would then be right up to the wood stove. Such an awkward room... Decoenthusiaste, I did the minor rearranging you suggested by moving the standing lamp to the reading nook and moved the side table to the other side of the leather chair. What a difference it makes just walking into the room - now I don't have the standing lamp's shade in the way of fireplace view. Much better! Funny you mentioned the tv console - that was supposed to be a temporary solution years ago, but we never found a console that was better quality. That one is actually the bottom of a Danish modern dining credenza. We have a serious hodgepodge of stuff in this room! I love your suggestion of the barrister bookcase and the rustic console. Smaller furniture would be great. I've rearranged the room a few times and left that large picture hanging in mid air! Thank you for providing the rules on hanging pics. I'm going out to search my barn now for some decorative implements...
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:54AM
greenpasturesfarm
Yes, also the coffee table needs to go - it actually went better with the last sofa we had.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:57AM
PRO
Vintage By Dounia
1 Like   March 26, 2013 at 6:31PM
lessismoore
I love the look of this room - and something about it makes me think you could pull off a similar mix in yours (which appears ever so appealing). Love your rug and the Danish credenza (keep it!) the ceiling, the nice light in here!
Smaller sofa, a bookcase or two?
Is it possible/practical to move TV to wall where overstuffed chair is? Next to brick in pix? I wonder ... if you need to have sofa essentially where it is, wouldn't it be better to have TV in a direct line for viewing? I don't know that the credenza would fit over there (though off center with window, it might look nice even so) but leave credenza in any case, get a smaller TV stand if needed.
Over Danish credenza where it is (instead of TV panel) great print or poster, or "collection" of (baskets?).

[houzz=
]
1 Like   February 10, 2014 at 9:28AM
janragna
Very nice home! I think your problem is the TV. Its current position makes the layout difficult. Try standing in the middle of the room and look carefully at each wall. Is there a better place for the TV using a wall mount swing arm scheme?
I have a lovely large room that has no TV. I set up a small media room elsewhere in my house and it works really well. Perhaps it could work for you?
0 Likes   February 10, 2014 at 11:42AM