I just re-designed a fireplace surround, had floating shelves built in the alcoves on each side of the fireplace and had a window seat constructed in my study. This is not my main living room, but a room that has hardly been used because I decorated it with furniture I have been meaning to sell or dontate from years past. I am very excited for this room because I think if decorated tastefully, it could be the prettiest room in my house! These are the things that I really need help with as I see it:
1) Furniture Layout - Ideally I would like to have four comfortable and stylish upholstered chairs sorrounding an ottoman or round cocktail table. I also would like a small desk (parsons?) with a chair somewhere in the room.
2) Colors, Patterns and Fabric - I need to have a seat cushion made for the window seat. I envision maybe a ticking with complimentary pattern throw pillows on the window seats and on the chairs but I am not tied to that at all. I love geometric designs without being overly modern. I also like Imperial Trellis, Riad (Windsor Smith), Diamond Pattern from Serena and Lily and stripes. I like texture with varied patterns and scales.
3) Lighting - What sconces do you see on each side of the fireplace? I did not know if lanterns were too ordinary these days. I will also need other lighting in the room as there is overhead light in the room. I suppose will need a floor lamp or side table with lamp lighting or both.
4) What should I choose for a paint color? My entire downstairs in Titanium by Ben Moore. It is a grey blue color. As you can see from the photos, I have wood floors that are stained ebony. Should I paint the back wall of the shelves a different color than the walls? I also thought about maybe grasscloth wallpaper for the back wall (I love grasscloth although it is very expensive).
5) Rug - I would love a stripe, herringbone or chevron pattern, but not sure if it would be too much. I do not want to overwelm the room with pattern or color.
I live near the beach, so I would like to keep that casual vibe I have throughout the rest of my house. I have white slipcovered furniture in my living room and dining room, lots of beadboard and a very open floor plan.
Please let me know what additional information you need (dimensions? photos of the rest of my house?). I really have a hard time making decisions with decorating and want to have an organized game plan (for once) instead of doing things piecemeal and in the end, not being happy with the outcome. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I am looking forward to your thoughts and advice!