Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Updating a small TV room/den
teddy151
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am trying to make this 11½’ x 13 ½’ bedroom-turned-den brighter and updated. So far I painted the entire room and replaced the old tube TV with a flat screen. I need suggestions for a light fixture (maybe a semi-flush drum shade fixture-what size?), smaller coffee table (what shape?), window treatments and rug. I’m having a hard time finding a rug that is the right size—5 x 7 is too small and 6 x 9 is too big (probably need 6 x 8). I plan on opening the wall behind the TV (there is a staircase behind it) in the near future and moving the TV to another room in the house but would like to update this room for now without spending too much money. I’m stuck! Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kinz9999
I don't think you really need a coffee table in such a small place, you could have a small end table next to the couch and a small round table by the chair. Get rid of all the "extra" stuff" you have in there. I like the idea you have for a new light fixture!
January 16, 2013 at 3:06pm     
auntagatha
I would angle the sofa between the two windows and place the chair in the corner between the closet and window, with a table between with a lamp; use the little painted chest if you are keeping it. This way the person in the chair does not have to turn around to speak to anyone on the sofa. A couple of small ottomans with trays would serve well as a coffee table, as well as for extra seating. Remove all the stuff around your TV stand. Use your little blue table at the other end of the sofa if there is room with the existing lamp with a new shade.
January 16, 2013 at 3:22pm   
Judit
Table, lamps and pictures must go! Select modern lamps, also add some lively colour to the room, like pink.
January 16, 2013 at 3:46pm   
yvonnecmartin
If you need a specific size rug, an easy way to do this is to visit your local carpet dealer and pick a remnant that you like. Then have it bound in the size that you want.

I don't object to your coffee table and pictures, but do suggest that you try other furniture arrangements.
January 16, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Nancy Hehmann
Look on JCPenney.com for window treatments and rugs that wont break the budget. I would paint the coffee table and the chest under the TV black to make them appear to go together. If you do not want to invest in side tables that match, consider buying a floor lamp for additional lighting. Lowes have some that wont break the budget.
January 16, 2013 at 4:19pm   
teddy151
I appreciate the comments. Even though I like the idea of painting the chest black, I stripped it myself years ago and don't have the heart to put paint on it, especially since this set up is temporary. I know the couch and chair are too big for the room but I have to work with them. I did have them on an angle at one time as suggested by auntagatha, but the couch is a bit too big and my husband hated the angle for TV watching. Any other suggestions for furniture placement? There's not much room to work with. Little white table next to TV is just there to hold cable box. Can't figure out where else to put it but I'll work on it. Will move snack tables. Not many pictures on the wall, just one picture and one quilt. I don't think pink would work in this room as suggested, but maybe red pillows? I don't care about any of the tables. They can go when I find new ones. I'll shop for a new lamp too. I'm attaching some ceiling lights I'm considering. They are all about 15" in diameter. Is that the right size for this room? Thanks so much to all of you for helping me. I'll keep working at it!
January 16, 2013 at 8:33pm   
Ramona
I am having a hard time visualizing this space. Could you put one more picture of the tv wall up? Is the couch directly opposite the tv? Approximated dimensions? Are you willing to move the cable connection? Don't paint the wood you striped.
January 16, 2013 at 8:48pm   
teddy151
Ok, I moved the snack tables and plant and put the little white table with the cable box on the left. The outlet is on the left close to the door and I need something in front of it to hide the cords. Maybe a black little table would be better? And I could change the knobs on the chest to black? Ramona, yes, the couch is directly opposite the TV. The room is 13.5' long x 11.5' wide. I've attached a couple more pictures. There are two doors that open into this room. I also wrapped some fabric that I have around the pillows for color options. Do I need to stick to solids because the couch is plaid? I may attempt to make a slipcover for the couch, but not right now. I also put up a picture of a quilt I made-would it work in this room? Any thoughts on the lights I posted? Thanks for any help.
January 17, 2013 at 2:56pm   
Manon Floreat
Your quilt is beautiful! And you can totally make it work in this room. I'd encourage you to spring for the sofa slip cover sooner rather than later. Since you're handy, consider a ready-made one that you can alter for a perfect fit. A solid natural linen or wheat color would look great under that quilt of yours. Then accent with the navy and camel pillows. I like the drums you chose for the ceiling - and can see one with an arts and crafts flair working in here as well.

Arts and Crafts - Mission Barrington 13” Bronze Semi-Flushmount Ceiling Fixture

Traditional Quoizel Ava Collection 14" Wide Vintage Bronze Ceiling Light

Kichler QualitySince 1938, Cleveland-based Kichler Lighting has been known f
January 17, 2013 at 3:48pm     
Manon Floreat
I just had another thought - would you be able to use your closet as a media center. Take a look at the below arrangement. If it's possible, I believe it will give you a little more room. Also, you could then hang your quilt on the wall!
January 17, 2013 at 5:06pm     
teddy151
Thanks for your responses Manon. I'm sitting at the computer looking for slip covers that I can alter. Great idea to use the closet as media center but I have very limited storage in my house. I use that as my coat closet, vacuum storage, there's a small dresser in there, etc., etc. I only have a small hall closet. My house is a cape. There is another closet in the room behind it (used as an office) and I'm thinking of reversing the closets so I have a better wall to put the TV on in the den. The room is 13.5' from the wall with the TV to the wall with the couch and 11.5' in width. I have moved this furniture a million times! Problem is I'm trying to work with what I have and what I have doesn't really work in this room. Any suggestions for the windows? Woven blinds maybe? I think I will have to have a remnant cut to size as suggested by yvonnecmartin for the area rug. Your thoughts are very much appreciated.
January 17, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Manon Floreat
Yes, if you reversed the closets, you could convert the den closet to a media center. Smart built ins/shelving would help with some of your storage needs. I really think the wall where the TV currently is would look great with your quilt on it.

I think a combination Roman shade and panels would work very well for your windows. The air conditioning unit will make panel mounting difficult for that wall. If you wished, you could do Rroman shades on the window where the AC unit is and panels of the same fabric on the other window. Here's an example of the effect.

I can see window coverings that match your slipcover with perhaps sage green trim - to reference your quilt.

I would actually do a 6 x 9, if not 8 x 10, area rug in your space. The large size will allow just a peek of hard wood floor around the perimeter and expand the space, especially if it's a quite piece without a lot of bold contrast.
January 17, 2013 at 7:16pm   
teddy151
I'm still working on this little room! Unfortunately I can't find a better placement for the furniture now (believe me-I tried!) so it's still the same. I have tried 5 different slipcovers and narrowed it down to these two. I will custom tailor them to fit and cover the seat cushions individually once I make a decision. I tried navy, white and khaki and now narrowed it down to these two. What do you think? I replaced the lamp, overhead light and cut down the coffee table to make a new smaller one that fits better. The rug is going and I would love suggestions on a new one. Should I stick with something neutral and use bold fabric for pillows? I'm working on a new quilt for the couch that has blues, browns and creams. For the windows I need something that will block out light since this is a TV room. Thanks for any help you can give me.
February 23, 2013 at 7:32am   
Dar Eckert
The gray slip with the quilts is lovely. I was thinking that you could hang a quilt behind the TV. Can you put the cable box on the top of the dresser you use for TV stand? Maybe move the TV forward or back or raise the TV a inch or so and put the cable box either behind or in front of the TV. We elevated the TV a couple of inches by cutting a piece of wood and attaching a turntable so the TV can be easily turned for viewing.
February 23, 2013 at 7:59am     
maureenmouton
Cut a hole on the back of the TV chest and put cable box in there, behind a door. You'll have to open the door when you watch TV
February 23, 2013 at 8:46am   
mpoulsom
I like the gray slipcover best....I was going to make the same suggestion as manon about the closet. Moving your pretty chest to live inside the closet and have that your media area! I still think you should seriously consider this and find an alternate place for things you have stored in closet now. Then you can move the couch to the wall facing the closet and put your chair on the wall where your couch is now. Makes the most sense to me. Can you create a storage/closet area underneath your staircase for the things you are storing in closet now??? You could have access to it from one or both sides of the staircase if you so chose. Something to think about.
February 23, 2013 at 9:03am     
mpoulsom
here's an example of doors under the stair for storage...but you could do drawers or anything you wanted to do. And if it's wide enough and makes sense, you could put drawers on the den side and doors on the opposite side for vacuum cleaner etc.

[houzz=
]
February 23, 2013 at 9:10am   
Manon Floreat
Wow, teddy - you've been busy. It's looking good! I love what you did about the table. I prefer the blue slipcover as well and think the rug works well in the room. Nice work!
February 23, 2013 at 9:17am   
teddy151
There is another staircase going down to the basement directly under the upstairs staircase so I cannot use that space for storage, but I appreciate you thinking of solutions. The closet in the room is my only coat closet and I live in New York so coats are necessary! The radiator is behind the chair under the window so I'm not even sure if I should put a couch in front of it (although I have had it there before during the summer). Eventually I will probably have a custom built-in closet made that can encompass an entertainment center and storage (and switch to baseboard heating) but for now I'm just trying to make this look a little better. The cable box doesn't fit on the dresser because of the large TV stand but I'll look into elevating the TV to put it underneath. Thanks Dar! Thanks Manon, you were right that I needed to cover the couch sooner rather than later. I also agree with you that I need a larger rug--this one I just brought up from the basement temporarily. Still looking for rug, new end table and window treatments. I'm thinking about a cream colored shag. Any fabric suggestions for pillow fabric? I will make my own. Looks like I'm going with the Smokey Blue slipcover. Thanks for the opinions. I needed more eyes than my own and my husband is a "whatever you want" kind of guy.
February 23, 2013 at 10:13am   
teddy151
I'm back again! So, since I last posted I made a few more changes to this little room. I was able to move the cable line into the corner and moved the TV and dresser. I bought the black stand so I could put the cable box under the TV. I custom fitted the slipcover to my couch, made some pillows and a quilt for the back of the couch. I made the table that is under the air conditioning unit and the coffee table. New blinds, new rug. This really is more of a summer look and I'll change it up a bit for the fall. I still need a new table for next to the recliner and a lamp. Any suggestions for improvements? I listened to the advice I got from here and slowly was able to implement the changes. Thanks!
September 15, 2013 at 2:09pm     
lefevrej
I just wanted to congratulate you, i think it looks lovely, really welcoming, cheeful and full of personality!
September 15, 2013 at 2:54pm   
raineycarole
Wow! What a difference. You did a fabulous job. It's beautiful!
September 15, 2013 at 4:08pm   
groveraxle
I think the room looks great. I love your use of color, the room is light and bright, and the tables you made are wonderful. One huge round of applause here!
September 15, 2013 at 4:23pm   
Angel18432
Just read thru the notes and saw the end result. Looks awesome. You did a great job.
September 15, 2013 at 4:26pm     
rosecottagehome
What a talent you are! Your new room arrangement is so much better. I love all your sewing projects, slip cover, quilts, pillows, your choice of colors, carpets, art..............amazing transformation. You should be proud.
September 15, 2013 at 4:47pm     
decoenthusiaste
What a change! Those darn TV's! Once they can be moved amazing things happen in a room! Very nice!
September 15, 2013 at 4:54pm   
Dar Eckert
Nice, very homey.
September 16, 2013 at 6:43am   
mkritt
Your room looks amazing now!! Great job!!
September 16, 2013 at 6:55am