Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen with staggered walls- remodel help
Pailin Wedel
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I just bought a condo that has a kitchen with staggered walls. I'm remodeling the entire condo but the kitchen is where I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out what would work. Here are some pictures of it. Help!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
PH Interiors, LLC
First need to know what is behind those bump outs. Looks like they may be closets in those rooms behind them?
January 16, 2013 at 10:19AM   
mpoulsom
This looks like a fun project! Are the cabinets metal? And what is your budget and style?
January 16, 2013 at 10:23AM   
PRO
Rehder Construction, Inc.
Pailin Wedel,

The bump outs mentioned may be a concern. What is the space behind the walls with cabinets? This information is integral before any design suggestions can be made.

Fortunately, it looks as though the kitchen space is large enough to make some nice design changes to incorporate more cabinet space.

Steve
January 16, 2013 at 2:51PM   
Pailin Wedel
Hi everyone thanks for the quick commenting.
The cabinets are cheap wood and probably 15 years old. Behind the walls is another bedroom with some built-in furniture including a dresser (no closets behind that particular wall). I'm not sure why it would be shaped that way. I'm going over to the condo Sunday to draw a floor plan so I should have a better idea then. While the condo is great for location and price, all the rooms are oddly designed with multiple odd angled walls. The plan is to rip out all the built-ins and start over. I'll upload my floor plan Sunday.
January 16, 2013 at 9:02PM   
Pailin Wedel
Here's the floor plan.... the plan is in m and cm because the condo is in Thailand. I like a minimalist ultra modern style-- tend to like everything to be functional as well as beautiful.
January 20, 2013 at 7:24AM   
cyn222
I love the staggering wall. It adds interesting areas to play up with color.
January 20, 2013 at 7:26AM     
sjkingston
Having lived in Asia, often the bump outs are for piping/ventilation, etc. And walls can be made of cement for earthquake and construction standards, so I'd assume they can't be altered.
January 20, 2013 at 7:29AM   
Natalie
Hi---I think a few minor things can be done which will really do wonders here. Remove all the trim above the cabs and windows, etc. Paint the cabinets white, add brushed nickel or chrome hardware. Paint the wall behind the cabs an interesting color. Roman shade(s) for the window... A great piece of art for that empty bump out wall... Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=Warehouse Conversion 1][houzz=Warehouse Conversion 2]
January 20, 2013 at 7:38AM     
Pailin Wedel
Thanks everyone. I like the idea of playing with color. The plan is to rip out all the wood cabinets because they have rotted quite a bit -- no one has lived in the condo for two years. These are old photos. Also the space is quite small-- only 8 feet for the wall with the windows, 6 feet for the first bump wall (on right in photo), and 4.75 feet for the indented wall (indented by 3 feet) and finally another slot that fits a medium fridge. I'm wondering if I should put cabinets under the windows...and Where should I put the accent color in the indented wall or the two walls that bump out? The floors are white marble.. wonder if a bright color would make it strange.
January 20, 2013 at 8:56PM   
Pailin Wedel
Oh and yes, the walls are cement and have pipes and wiring that would be difficult to move.
January 20, 2013 at 9:02PM   
Natalie
Hi again---Wall color can be painted on the entire wall where the cabs are-both recessed and bump out areas. As for carrying the cabs under the window, I think a table or counter extending from the window into the room would be a better choice as it would serve as a work space as well as dining. You may find both of the kitchens I've attached helpful. One is a link and the other is an example of a table---think of the mirror in the photo as your window... Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
[houzz=small Chelsea apartment]
Project: Speer
January 21, 2013 at 8:40AM