Is it a family room or in eat in kitchen.... or can it be both?
We bought this house knowing this room was a design challenge. After 3 years I am still struggling to figure out how to make it work for our family.
The family room/kitchen is the primary activity space in the house. We have a toy room basement but kids tend to be more in the family room near Mom. My design dilemma's include:
- dated country look of fireplace and too much brick darkening the room
- off center fireplace
- Should we paint the brick white? Cover it with sheet rock? What to do with mantel and off center fireplace? What about the hearth on the bottom, what to do with that?
USE OF ROOM
- room is slightly too small for both eat in kitchen and family room
- Where should we place sofa and/or kitchen table? We would like to replace the carpet and sofa, would a sectional be right for this space?
- should I just make it a family room and no kitchen table?
- create a breakfast bar in the kitchen that can seat at least 3-4 ppl?, (can't knock out that side wall due to HVAC there)
- windows are very close to walls
- ideas for window treatments?
COLOR and MOULDING
- What kind of moulding should we do?
- Would a gray color paint on the walls look good?
- What type of art work or placement of framed pictures goes where? Over mantel?
- Should we paint kitchen cabinets white to update kitchen or leave existing?
- What type of granite countertop would look nice?
- SHould we keep the backsplash or is that dated as well?