Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining Room Wall ~ HELP!!
Lisa-Marie Wells
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have this pine wall in my dining room/entry and I'm tired of the all wood look. I am thinking about putting up thin brick and getting an electric fire place to make the space look more cozy.... Any suggestions??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Elizabeth Hayden
I like the "pie safe " cupboard as a handy catch all. I suggest whitewashing the pine to brighten it but retain the wood grain. Replace the mirror with a more substantial mirror, perhaps one with a rustic frame to carry on the feel of the pie safe.
Experiment styling the cupboard top...the glass vase doesn't seem to work. Maybe try one large piece as a focal point, or three smaller items, or even two the same for symmetry. Fresh flowers in a stoneware jug?
January 16, 2013 at 1:12pm     
michigammemom
I agree that whitewashing the knotty pine would be preferable to the electric faux fireplace. The brighter background would really show off your adorable pie safe and complete a fresh cottage look.
January 16, 2013 at 1:36pm     
sealedesign
The pie safe reminds me of French Country and cottage. I would continue that style if you feel it fits you and the house. A red, yellow, green theme, green showing up in plants maybe. Or if you prefer a lighter look, then white glaze pickling on the pine wall works. You have a more Louis XIV look going with the delicate mirror and glass, so if you love it, I'd put it in a pretty bedroom spot. Designers, if I am wrong here about my labels of French Country or Louis XiV. please correct me. I think putting a style label on something gives the owner something to google to find out more.
January 16, 2013 at 1:47pm     
pjtime
I'd white wash the pine. It would still look good with your pie safe and brighten up the entry.
January 16, 2013 at 1:51pm     
Lisa-Marie Wells
Thanks all!! Not sure I even know how to white wash... I am selling the pie safe... It's no longer works for me in the space. I was thinking of replacing it with the electric fire place and replacing the pine with the thin brick. see pics below.....
January 16, 2013 at 2:44pm   
pjtime
That looks very pretty! Love it and it would look so nice in the dining area. I actually think that brick is whitewashed. All that's about is putting white paint on it and then wiping it off until you have the amount of color showing through that you like. You can control the amount of coverage by how many layers you put on and wipe off. Usually it takes only one coat, but if you find you rubbed too much off, you can always repeat the process. What I like about whitewashing is that the character of the brick shows through and you do not need to worry so much about dirt and dust showing on a rough surface as you would on a solidly painted white brick. I love your plan and look forward to seeing it!
January 17, 2013 at 8:46am