Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I hate my kitchen Cabinets--HELP
charlsb
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are working on our kitchen bit by bit. So far we have a newer layout for the island and a corian counter top. We did a new backsplash 2 years ago and ahve stainless and black appiances. But I hate my cupboards. I hate that they are not to the ceiling, I hate that they are cathederal topped, I hate the color, not much that are redeemable to me. My husband says that it is just not in the budget to tear out and replace--we have done it to other kitchens and this one is by far the largest and most expensive to do--plus if we go that far there are other issues I want resolved. Anyway I am looking for suggestions on what to do--paint, restain--how do I reface--is it worth it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Showed photos from all angles in the kitchen eating desk area. Thanks.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sealedesign
I can see a lot of money went into these cabinets when they were in style. Those cathedral top cabinets and so many of them are a focal point. I think you have no other option but to go to Ikea and replace them all or just live with them.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 1:23PM
patriciarhall
i noticed that the cupboard doors on your island are not like the ones on the cabinets. Do you like the ones on your island?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 1:30PM
Jennifer Hayes
Painting the cabinets will be approx $100 a door, (if done by a prof) I would change the color on the wall first. It seems to blend w/ the cabinets. Then paint the Island a different color
3 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 1:40PM
chillicake
Firstly , You have excellent storage space! When I looked at the kitchen , I felt it is lot of orange , especially the paint on top . Painting the cabinets might b cheap but it takes lot of work . And if it were me , I would change the knobs.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 1:45PM
PRO
Dlyte Interior Design
Refacing will generally cost you about 40% of a new kitchen and the results are pretty outstanding. You'll have the ability to change the doors and even the colour and finish if thats what you desire. The space above the cabinets could be concealed with cove moulding (Which is to basically box in the space and apply a crown moulding up to the ceiling) If you know a good handyman or carpenter they should be able to do that for you at a pretty reasonable cost in the same finish. The bones of your kitchen seem pretty good I don't see any need to completely tear it all out.

Best of luck!
6 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 2:20PM
carolannr
You have such a large expanse of cabinets, I think changing the color could only be to a cream to coordinate with your backsplash. The wall color just makes the cabinet color more overwhelming. I would continue the green over the soffit over the cabinets or open them up and use them for large item storage . That way at least you would have some breathing space above them I would change out the doors with some open glass and some like your island - getting rid of the cathedral tops. And please remove the cutout valance in front of the window. Good luck, I really could use your storage.
3 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 2:36PM
mpoulsom
I would get my paint brushes out and start painting them, change the hardware, and decide on other options like wall color, (if need be) if you cannot live or afford to replace them. best of luck to you! Look on ebay for good hardware at inexpensive prices in bulk. Hidden hinges as well, if you need those. You could also replace some of the cabinet doors with glass, or remove door entirely for open shelving. If you opt for open shelving in some spots, you could paint the inside an accent color.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 2:42PM
peg4lowes
Choose an analogus color scheme which includes the color of the cabinets. Repaint the walls in light tan, molding and sofets in darker tan. Use orange as the accent color for kitchen accessories. Replace hardware with more modern look, and the cupboards will blend with the beauty of the scheme and look very appropriate blending with furniture and floor.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 2:45PM
giselavaldes
repaint the wall in a color that goes with the backsplash and add crown moulding to the wall and it will give it a more finished look and will let your eye travel up past the cabinet tops, change the hardware, and use Orange as the accent color. Sometimes we want something so different instead of trying to work with what we have. good luck
3 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:06PM
roomi
There is often a simple solution and one detail can be causing the whole problem. In this case it is that horrible wooden molded thing over the stove I presume its the exhaust fan. Replace it with a simple stainless steel one and you won't notice the cupboards that much any more and the whole kitchen will look more modern instantly. When you have the money replace the cupboard doors with profile you like better. Replacing the stools with more minimalist stainless steel would also tie in better and how about putting a small matching piece of stone on top of that raised part of the bench behind which I suppose is the sink. Or perhaps lower that barrier hiding the sink. Is it really necessary?
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 3:09PM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
You can order replacement doors unfinished and change them out. Then have a carpenter come in and install a wooden soffit up to the ceiling and crown molding. Have a professional come in and paint it all to a cream color. Maybe stain the island a dark java color so the stove doesn't stand out so much.
5 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:15PM
Beth Kiefer
Since you have placed black appliances in the kitchen and the counter tops are white I would paint the kitchen cabinets black and put a damask wallpaper in the middle of the cabinets ( http://totalwallcovering.com/p22760/Small-Damask-Wallpaper.aspx?cid=346 ) and paint the walls white to make the cabinets and appliances pop. I think it also might make the kitchen feel brighter with the white paint. If it didn't seem overwhelming I'd make a contrast wall in the dining area with the wallpaper to tie it all together. Their are a lot of new black and white floral designs in dinner ware that would help tie everything together.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:19PM
PRO
Eagledzines
The amount of cabinet space you have is truly enviable. Is it the 'look' of the cabinets to the ceiling that you are looking for or more space? It appears to me that you don't have a soffit over the cabinets. If you just wanted the look, you could put in a soffit and cover it with wood to match the cabinet color you choose, then just replace the top doors to match the bottom square doors, with doors that go to height you are looking for. The top part of the door would cover the soffit. The hinges would stay where they currently are. The shorter doors would need a magnet at the top.

If you decide to put any glass in, I would put in the corner cabinet for the most impact.

I would consider painting the island a charcoal or a shade that goes with your new backsplash. I would also consider extending the back of the stove to the short end of the island and topping it with another narrow piece of matching corian. And painting the rest of the cabinets a shade of cream that goes with your backsplash and corian.

I agree with taking off the valance.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:38PM
roomi
Painting those cupboards will not change the shape so in my opinion it's a waste of money however adding a stainless steel exhaust system will match up with the existing silver appliance and draw the eye away. Later when the doors are changed the cupboard storage can be extended up to the ceiling. I have actually done this exact same thing myself. Taken out a country style exhaust and put in a stainless one that matched the oven. This was good value for money in terms of instant effect.
Since the old kitchen was total rubbish and one day would be totally ripped out I painted the "vertical weatherboard" effect cupboard doors cream myself. This was for a rental. However since more storage up to the ceiling would be useful and you would never want to match the existing doors, why bother painting?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:40PM
GEE Contracting and Development
I have seen a black box molding going to the ceiling then beautiful crown molding added in black. You could also then paint your island black to match the appliances. Be sure to paint the back of the island black also to give uniformity and maybe a smaller decorative molding on it.. Even if this is done by a professional you can see how coordinated it would look. Two colors on cabinets are very in style.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 3:41PM
dnastrau
I would continue the green into the kitchen. You could add cabinets above the existing ones with glass doors, but that could get expensive. Instead you could remove the doors on the upper cabinets and paint the interior a contrasting color to make it pop. I would also paint the island..
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:44PM
Crystal Petersen
I think you have to many colors going on, My eyes don't really focus on one thing. I think you should pull a light color out of your tile in the backsplash (which I love) and paint all the walls and top of the cabinet. I have this honey oak color all over my house too and I hate it but I'm really trying to work with it. I'm trying to talk my husband into letting me paint all the trim white. I think it looks so fresh. Good luck.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 3:51PM
roomi
Eagledzeens. Extending the back of the stove to the short end of the island and topping with a narrow piece of stone is also a great idea. Matching up the finish might be a problem however leading to the urge to repaint or refinish at which point the kitchen will start to look kind of patchwork and the cathedral cupboards will look even more prominent and worse and she's said that the expense of repainting is currently a problem. I think the cupboard door replacement, extension to ceiling of storage or enclosure of the space and re-jig of island bench all need to be done later at the same time. Painting anything at this point wastes money and prolongs the problem...just my opinion.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 3:54PM
wghoots
Brighten the green paint, paint the island and lower cabinets black or charcoal and the top ones white. Have the cabinet doors cut to a rectangle and replace with frosted glass. If you can do the painting yourself use cabinet paint. Paint your trim white and ceiling white. New hardware.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:02PM
roomi
Sorry that wooden moulded item is not a range hood, I think it's just concealing a light, I see there is an exhaust in the ceiling above the stove however a stainless panel instead of that wooden country style "valence" would still work to match in with the refrigerator.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:05PM
charlsb
I hear you about the valance infront of the sink--I have wanted to karate chop it since we moved in--one day I will. I like the idea of painting the sofit a color to match the backsplash--easy enough and I have that color in my basement. I also like the stainless vent over the stove. We need to address lighting as well in this kitchen--and repair a ceiling where we took out a very strange formation in the middle of the kitchen--it was a floor to ceiling desk they just dropped in the center of the island--weird. Do you think hardware should be heavier--maybe a rubbed bronze--or stay with a stainless? Love the idea for new stools--and never thought of stainless--thats a YES. Thanks for the imput--what a great sight.
I also can see us putting up crown molding over the sofit--although I do not like the sofit--it is all plaster and such a pain to take out and messy. Crown molding may be the answer.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:13PM
PRO
Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
I would go with painting the cabinets and then paint the island another color than the cabinetry.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 4:17PM
charlsb
here are a couple other pics I coulldn't load the first time. I am def going with a two color scheme for my island and ball cabinets--Darker on the island???
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:26PM
PeterandDeneen Schumacher
for a low cost fix: paint all walls the same "light" color. New hardware. Fix the plugins on the wall, they need to be moved down and out of site. Readjust your art work and decorations. New lighting, you do not have high enough ceilings to do bulky lights and fans. New window treatment (no blinds, unless you tuck them up under your window trim.) Clear all the stuff off the top of your cupboards. Your set up is nice, your furniture is wonderful, eclectic. You just need a fresh modern take. If you still hate your kitchen then just paint your cupboards if they are in good shape you can dIY , there are lots of new products to help redesign your kitchen for a really good price. Its the accessories that make any kitchen. Get some bling.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 4:36PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Yes. Darker on the island.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:38PM
jingstad
Remove the scalloped trim above the sink...that will open up the window more. Put crown molding at the ceiling above the soffits and paint it white. You could replace the very top cabinet doors with glass...opening up the space and getting rid of the arch. I would paint the back of the island cabinets to match the kitchen or dining room color and add more stools...maybe with backs. Finally, replace the light fixture in the dining room and then put 3 pendant lights above the island. The light fixtures should compliment each other in style. I believe that these relatively small changes will make a big difference in your kitchen.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 4:38PM
Wendy Hayden
I would reface - I did this myself and the result was outstanding. I had the arched cabinet doors as well and they put new wood doors that were updated (not arched) They put a veneer on the sides and fronts of the cabinets and island. Came out beautiful. You will not be sorry you did this - it will add value to your home. I do not have a before or a full view of the cabinets but the attached is a partial view of the end result.
4 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:44PM
PRO
sealedesign
try taking off the small upper doors only on the tiny cabinets and create open storage. Put silk plants in the area above the sink, hanging down. Crown molding and soffit to the ceiling or match backsplash color with paint..Take off weird trim piece and cut straight instead of curly, fix area around stove. Add stainless color to go with fridge, agree it could go on chairs or maybe island.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 4:59PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Before you spend a lot of money refacing and repainting, just do a dark glaze over the existing finish and add another finish coat. Also you may be able to pop out the middle of the door if it is a 5 piece construction. In its place add textured glass or wire. I like the cathedral :)
6 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:07PM
PRO
Tom's Workshop
I THINK I WOULD GO WITH PAINTED CABINETS WITH SHAKER DOORS.GO TO TOM'S WORKSHOP IN SOUTHSIDE AL. ON FACEBOOK TO SEE BEFORE AND AFTER PIC.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:09PM
sealedesign
you can probably match the wood well enough with crown molding but you will never match doors. As the wood ages it gets darker.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:11PM
sealedesign
you can get the middle of these doors out and attach something behind the door but you will never be able to get anything flat like wire or glass into the cut out area..
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:16PM
beverlynn
The cabinets and the wall color are clashing with each other! Paint the walls; the cabinets aren't so bad! Add some hardware (brushed nickel) and that will be a great improvement!
4 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:23PM
PRO
Eagledzines
You would need a rabbeting bit to set it into the current panel area. To secure it, use a molding or caulk.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 5:41PM
joannamato
Looks like a LOT of wood. Almost everything is the same color or close to it. I would suggest replacing a few upper cabinet doors with glass doors and re-staining the cabinets. I would suggest an island that's a different color and style, but I guess that is new. I think you need more variety. I would also paint the wall behind the cabinet a darker green than the other wall. Adding green hanging lights over the bar would also be good.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 6:08PM
lisabianco
We had the exact honey oak cabinets when we moved into our house. I did not like them either but we didn't have the money to redo the kitchen. We put in new countertops and backsplash and my husband and I refaced them ourselves. It was very time consuming but the only cost was the painting supplies. We first cleaned them with solvent, lightly sanded them by hand, primed them with an alcohol base primer, painted and glazed them. This is what they look like now.
13 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:13PM
PRO
A408Studio Architecture+Interiors+Construction
we have been doing a LOT of this lately. My suggestion, have a local cabinetry carpenter buy new doors for you and paint/stain them to the color you like. I recommend a full-overlay door to help reduce the amount of frame you see - and that help them look more modern. Then, have that same carpenter (or his finisher) refinish just the frames. Then, I'd remove the soffit (be careful, there may be electrical and HVAC hidden up there that you will have to relocate). Once the soffit gone, install new crown molding. You can even have that before mentioned cabinetry carpenter build new cabinets above these existing ones with hopper style doors to give you more storage and finish of that space. $2 to $6k investment.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:33PM
mcbride2304
Adding a flat soffit of either wood or even drywall above the cabinets , several inches wide, and attaching crown molding on top of it to attach to the the ceiling will give it a completely finished look. You can paint it the trim color and adding handles, not knobs, of a pretty good size will break up the solid wood look and update the look. Usually these minor changes make a huge difference without the expense of a major Reno. Find a good carpenter...this is not an expensive fix.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:33PM
geeideaz
Already stated, but swapping a few door panels with glass will break up all that wood. Also flip the cabinet door insets to the flat side. Cathedral tops are soooo 1980's. Then paint or stain to taste. Darker color inn the island and on the frames of any glass doors, lighter on the rest. Just don't get drastic. Maybe a dark and a light variant of the same tone. Love the green.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 7:48PM
aspenglo
I think that you have been given a lot of great ideas so far. Many of them do involve a lot of time and some involve a lot of money. In my opinion, the cabinets are not horrendous. I feel that the wall color is making them appear much more orange than they actually are. Yes, the cathedral tops are dated. But they look like well-made cabinets and it would be a shame to paint or replace simply for vanity's sake. If you add updated hardware, that will make a huge difference. As for the paint, choose a colour that is complimentary to your backsplash (which I love by the way) and paint the entire room....including the green colour. I would personally lean towards the creamier color but that is up to you. You can add punches of color to your room by way of accessories. The cabinets will look completely transformed when surrounded with a more neutral wall color and the entire space will be much more cohesive when painted all the same. The valance above the kitchen window should be removed. I had the exact same one and once I removed it the difference was amazing. Much more updated. All you need is a screwdriver and some wood filler ;) You have a wonderful space. Before you invest a ton of time and possibly money in refacing or replacing cabinets I highly recommend trying out a different wall color and new hardware. I guarantee that you will love the change and the cabinets will not look so dated. If you still absolutely hate them then unfortunately replacement will be the only option. But, as my husband tells me, if the worst thing in my home is cabinets that someone says are outdated... things really cannot be that bad ;) On a side note, I would also replace the vertical blinds on the windows with some beautiful drapery and hardware.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:21PM
Denise Boldt_Fick
I am anxious to read all of the feeback you're getting. I am in the same boat with my kitchen - oak everywhere and I'm on a budget with remodel and upgrades. Good luck!
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 7:02AM
charlsb
just a note on the cabinets--they do picture well and look better online that in person. They are gummy, and the quality is akin to Menards--Medallion is the name brand. I have no issue painting or staining because of their lack of their value. They are worn out in my book.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 7:28AM
Jean Tuck
Im thinking , intrduce only one pattern in area 9countertop my pic) then paint outAll cupboards to same color(I in this area would use almond, tto allow color introduction for other furniture pieces to somewhat be seen in countertop, using onlt 3 colors in this pace basically, and leavedesign for countertop and small toppers for curtains to reflect your tastes, country or eleghant.
Remember my thoughts only .
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 7:44AM
carolannr
Then, I do think your best and least expensive option is painting them. If you know a good carpenter, he can investigate those soffits. Contractors do usually use them for wire runs, etc but usually they can be pulled down to the top of the existing cabinets so they won't be seen and the soffits opened. Done this a few times with inexpensive kitchen makeovers - it does seem to open up the kitchen and give some breathing room. Those cathedral doors could still be replaced - ck your local Habitat resale outlet, if you have one. Ours carry an extensive collection of cabinet doors, usually unfinished, to replace them at a lower cost especially when you are trying to match the style of an older cabinet design such as yours. They have been a lifesaver for me on some jobs. You have so many cabinets It only makes sense to try to salvage what you can without replacing them. Unless you have an unlimited amount to spend, working with what's there and making them the best you can is the most economical decision. I've even opened some up by removing the doors and exposing, say the daily dishware/glassware storage to make it more convenient.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 7:46AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hey Charlsb,

I think refacing could be the way to go if you are really unhappy with your cabinetry. This process is more affordable than purchasing new cabinets, but gives you a completely new look. I'd go with a professional though, this really isn't a DIY job.

You can learn more about the process here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/cabinet-refacing-page

Basically, you'll get new doors, drawers, drawer pulls, hinges and hardware. You can select wood doors or RTF doors depending on the cost. This basically provides you with new cabinetry at a fraction of the cost of ordering new cabinetry.

Good luck with your project!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:00AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Be careful when repainting if the finish on them now is sticky. If after cleaning them up they are still sticky, you will probably have to strip them before you paint them to get a good finish on them.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:26AM
lessismoore
lisabianco - your cabinet redo looks fabulous... Especially note what was done with the soffit and moulding there! That said, charlsb still has to deal with the cathedral arches. Can one actually "flip" the doors on something like this, and have it work? As suggested by geeideaz ?? Have you done this? I would love to see some before/after - If they are really poor quality, re-facing would be the way to go rather than flipping.
While you are painting, make sure you catch that honey oak window and door trim too. Here is a quick look at side by side with the white/cream/ top cabinets - dark (charcoal/black) bottoms. Beef up the soffit moudlings.
4 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:50AM
lessismoore
and of course, take an ax to the curvy thing over the sink!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:53AM
woofwoof
I had very similar looking white oak cabinetry in my old kitchen and light colored countertops, and I also had all the walls a similar terra cotta color. When we sold the house, we painted the walls a tan color called Chapparal by Dunn Edwards --you know the whole "neutral" color scheme buyers want to see. It transformed the kitchen to a light, bright totally new space and everything sort of blended better. It would de-emphasize the features you don't like w/out the expense of re-facing or replacing perfectly good cabs. But yeah, do get rid of the curvy thing over the sink.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 9:46AM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Yes to removing wood valance over sink, yes to painting walls the green tone, yes to painting the back of the island black. Yes to pendant lights, yes to removing verticals on windows, yes to drapery on windows, yes to stainless handles/knobs. But keep the cabinets, paint them a creamy white..please look at Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation Kit. Works incredible and is easy to use. Best part it looks like a professional job. http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=561
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:13AM
carbary
I think the terra cotta paint color does not showcase the cabinets well. I would pick a grey tone that would complement your counter tops. The backs of your island appear to me, not to match the cabinets. I would consider painting just the island. I think it would break up the woody feel. This dragons breath is a great color it is a grey brown and would look great on your Island and blend with your walls.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:19AM
carbary
I think the terra cotta paint color does not showcase the cabinets well. I would pick a grey tone that would complement your counter tops. The backs of your island appear to me, not to match the cabinets. I would consider painting just the island. I think it would break up the woody feel. This dragons breath is a great color it is a grey brown and would look great on your Island and blend with your walls.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 10:20AM
baon
I've seen these doors with the inserts flipped so the "cathedral" points downward plus paint/stain. Killed the 80's look.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 10:44AM
carbary
Pictures of cabinet display of collections
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 1:23PM
Sharyn
A lot of good suggestions here. Have you considered simply painting the back side of the island, the laminate wood tones conflict with your cabinets. Also try removing the cabinet door above the appliance garage. Store pretty pottery or dishware there, it will help break up all the wood tone. Start with just one or two changes and see if that helps. Removing the scallop edging is an easy and updating option. A pretty roman shade would look nice and bring in some pattern. Overall you have a nice kitchen, just needs a few tweeks.
2 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 1:56PM
charlsb
update--just finished painting the cabinets. Thanks Houzzers--I took your advice and LOVE it--sure brightened it up in the kitchen. Now to finish the ceiling, install new lights and hood above stove. It looks GREAT.
2 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 4:48PM
charlsb
now there is a debate on replaceing the orange color--with a off white seems to be too much white, carry the green on through this area---not my fav idea. Anyone else have suggestions. The orange doesn't bother me but I am not in love with it either.
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 4:49PM
chillicake
Wow....ur effort seems to pay out...it a huge change...and for replacing the orange color...I would choose some earthy tones..or even beige shades...something not too dark , or too lite. Good luck...would like to see the finished output.
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 6:49PM
lessismoore
Very Wow! - what about a gray with a green undertone? Like BM Aganthus Green 472? http://www.benjaminmoore.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/1/9/1962.jpg
1. Will pick up gray from island, 2 pick up green tones from rest of room, 3. Look great with backsplash.
Imo :-)
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 10:32PM
jhperree
Paint top part above cabinets same as wall color.
Paint island white, cream, or lighter color in back splash,.

Lightly sand edges of island for patina, or leave solid for more modern look.
0 Likes   April 20, 2013 at 10:40PM
beverlynn
What a difference!! it looks fabulous!!
1 Like   April 21, 2013 at 9:11AM
remick
First, change the colors on the walls. The current green has too much yellow in it. You need a light green that has more of a "forest green" flavor. The burnt orange over the cabinets needs to be changed to a different lighter color - that compliments your back splash. You can also add matching crown molding to either the top of the cabinets or white crown all around the room. Refinishing cabinets is a lot of work - easier to replace doors, or spraying a darker lacquer by a pro.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 9:43AM
roomi
I really cannot say that I think the changes are successful in bringing things together in a stylistic sense because the work you have done creates other problems. The shape of the door insert panels still clashes with the style of the splash back in my opinion. Maybe this could be considered to be not a tactful thing to say since you have to live with it and have put money into the painting but this is an online discussion and it is interesting to see the results of everyone's advice. Thanks for posting the 'after' pics
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 6:09PM
Sharyn
Your room looks great with the white cabinets. I did the same thing and can appreciate all your hard work...it's not an easy task. For wall color I would simply get paint chips representing all the colors from your counters and backsplash. From there pick 3 that you really like then buy samples. Apply paint to poster board and hang in areas of the kitchen and see which one you like best. I'm thinking a rich brown to go with the white...stunning
1 Like   April 21, 2013 at 7:13PM
Crystal Petersen
Good job! I also like the idea of the rich brown paint color also.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 7:29PM
amymccull
i would paint the cabinets white then take the island and paint it black add white bar stools or even do an expresso color to match the table. I would paint the orange above the cabinets a light tan i would change the knobs and add stainless steel counter appliances or vintage pieces then above the cabinets i would add dark color baskets or oldglass bottles then for the wall with the pantry i would paint it a dark color also to match the island then maybe add stainless looking bar stools.
0 Likes   April 21, 2013 at 9:57PM
Betsy
Wow! What did you do with the window trim on the opposite wall? Did you paint that white, too?
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 4:43AM
charlsb
I am going to paint the door trim to match, the window will be replaced in less then a year so I wasn't taking the time to do that now. I did paint the little closet door and the entry door to match and their trim--just ran out of gas. It took a lot more patience then I ever could imagine to do a good job. I am realy feeling the brown color but am going to take the backplash in with me and get a corresponding color my next trip to Home Depot. You have all been a great help. Thanks so much for the wonderful ideas. I was truley stuck and you helped get those creative juices flowing.
1 Like   April 22, 2013 at 5:10AM
kbg351
Try this. It helped me. Fixed fee...cabart.com/. Ask for paul....info@cabart.com.....CabArt is a highly qualified home interior design consulting firm that offers an economical, interactive, and unique approach to modern interior design. Unlike other design galleries, our interior design specialists deliver consultative project guidance from the convenience of your own home or office, and at far lower costs. Not only will you save money and hours of driving and waiting to meet with designers, who are trying to sell you their own products, you will receive instant, customized service that is specifically tailored to your exact interior design needs. Needing only a computer and a phone, you will meet with a CabArt professional designer through a user-friendly web-based virtual environment and together create a custom interior design plan to fit your lifestyle – allowing you, the homeowner, to save thousands on your residential interior design project.
0 Likes   April 22, 2013 at 6:05AM
iookclub
I had the same cabinets, took them out and replaced them. However, I'm repurposing them for use in a laundry room and a butler's pantry. I'm using Cabinet Transformations by Rustoleum to paint them Linen. Check out the website: http://cabinets.rustoleumtransformations.com
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 10:09AM
Betsy
iookclub - would love to here your review of the product and after photos. It's very intriguing - I have looked at it at The Home Depot several times.
0 Likes   October 11, 2013 at 10:23AM
audbene
I have the same cabinets and HATE both the stain color and the cathedral tops.

"flip the cabinet door insets to the flat side"

The problem is that the inside of mine have a cathedral-shaped insert. I can't turn them inside out anyways because the hinge is hidden.

I've been online looking for ideas and there's little that deal with cathedrals. I've found and used a product called Cabinet Transformations that really does cover up the honey oak and it raises the grain, unlike paint. However, what to do with the cathedrals?

I've narrowed it down to metal door covers or cutting out the middles with my Dremel and having metal or glass inserts made.

I would love some other ideas to replace the cathedrals without going to the expense of refacing! I want my house to be super modern or futuristic, so I'm open to unusual ideas.
1 Like   January 23, 2014 at 7:32PM
audbene
PS-I would have filled in the groove, sanded and painted, but these are recessed panel doors. Quite a challenge! Ideas appreciated!

I like the idea of replacing them entirely with glass or even a colored/textured plexiglas. I don't have any desire for the doors to be opaque though, but I could live with it. I just don't want to have to finish the inside of the cabinets too--I already have to do the outsides.

Here's a pic. I've removed the pot rack. The walls will be painted after the cabinets are redone. I'll redo the countertops at some point and install a backsplash. Until then, I'm going to live with the countertop because it's brand new.
0 Likes   January 24, 2014 at 4:51AM
Erick
Me and my wife where on a budget with our first house and we had cabinets just like yours, color and all. We decided to just reface the cabs with a darker stain and new hardware.
0 Likes   January 24, 2014 at 7:25AM
lessismoore
Hi Audbene - You should really post this as a design dilemma so you can get as many suggestions as possible. When people talked of "flipping" the doors, what someone meant was to turn them upside down, rotating them, so that the cathedral curve was on the bottom and the flat bottom, was now on the top. It is somewhat less intrusive that way, but still would be a far cry from the style you crave. You mentioned filling in the groove and sanding. Your doors in the pix appear to have the cathedral curve recessed (debossed) so I would think you could remove the door, fill it in with something to make it appear flat.
I wonder if you could use a self leveling concrete or something like that ?
0 Likes   January 24, 2014 at 8:30AM
PRO
Mackay Painting and Finishing
A nice look that is affordable and dramatic is to paint the exteriors of the cabinets, and have the doors and drawer fronts refinished, perhaps adding distressing as well.
0 Likes   January 24, 2014 at 1:51PM