Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dining Room Help!
danals
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Looking for help in the dining Room! Curtains, Blinds, artwork?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
gowharr32
From these pictures I don't see where you would put curtains or blinds. Are there windows?
January 16, 2013 at 3:04PM     
PRO
Stanton Designs-online design services
Do you have pictures of the windows. One thing that I noticed is the lighting is spaced very far apart for the size of the room and table. Looks like the lights are above the end chairs.
January 16, 2013 at 3:10PM     
auntagatha
If feasible, have a chandelier placed over the center of the table to fit the proportion of the room and table. White trim and wainscoting would look wonderful. If you don't have a problem with privacy in this room, leave the windows bare.
January 16, 2013 at 3:13PM   
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Adding a bigger light fixture that can be more of a statement and bring more light can help. Also maybe some artwork that is wider and bright to help add some color.
January 16, 2013 at 3:23PM     
joycefoley
I think two of these lighting fixtures above the table would add to the room. Are there any windows?
January 16, 2013 at 3:36PM     
danals
Don't have a great shot of the window currently but here is one that shows part of it.
January 16, 2013 at 3:39PM   
danals
herse is a better phot before we started redecorating.
January 16, 2013 at 3:42PM   
danals
Not sure what happened with the pictures but if you hover on them, they will enlarge for a better view. Sorry! Also thanks for the tips everyone!
January 16, 2013 at 3:44PM   
ekc3502
I would suggest crown moulding and a chair rail.
January 16, 2013 at 3:58PM     
Jillian Zegers
I would suggest one large modern light fixture over the dining room table. Something to add a little sparkle. Also a large framed mirror against the wall would be great and reflect all the natural light coming in from the windows.
January 16, 2013 at 4:20PM     
danals
love the idea of sparkly light fixtures. I would have to go with two as that's how the room is wired and I can easily swap them out myself. Hmm never thought about crown moulding, chair rails won't work on account of the rounded corners, and I would have no idea where to start or stop as our home is an open concept.
January 16, 2013 at 4:37PM   
joycefoley
Love the window! So bright and cheerful. I would go with light gray crown moulding,chair rails make the room look smaller. Gray formal drapery would complete this room!
January 16, 2013 at 4:49PM   
joycefoley
Possible choice for the drapes? It doesn't take away from the brightness that comes through the window.
January 16, 2013 at 5:48PM     
jennifergil81
I think a nice silver framed mirror would brighten up the room and reflect alot of light in there and then maybe white drum shades with some type of embellishments or crystals would look nice too. Curtains I would go with some kind of pattern myself something that ties in with your kitchen backsplash perhaps. Theres some gorgeous lighting ideas on this site :)
January 16, 2013 at 6:09PM     
joycandis
Grey walls make your space appear dark and small. Maybe leave one wall grey as a feature wall and paint the rest white. If your were to consider changing the kitchen cabinets from wood to white this would also help to make your space more cohesive. A roman blind would be best on your dining room window - keeps your window clear with lots of natural daylight! Introduce a few pops of colour with large art works and a beautiful statement mirror with additional textiles and accessories in lime greens, turquoise or magentas.
January 16, 2013 at 6:49PM   
anthip
Do you still have the tiled floor?
January 16, 2013 at 7:00PM   
danals
Thanks for the great tips! No I don't have the green and white floor any more. We have a brown/grey tiled floor now.
January 16, 2013 at 7:35PM   
danals
The picture doesn't show it well ,but the back of the china cabinet is a solid mirror, and the shelves are glass, so i do get quite a bit of reflection from that. Would it be too much if I had a mirror where the beach picture is?
January 16, 2013 at 7:48PM   
dverity
I would place a mirror opposite the window to liven up the space. Long, light drapes would keep a dramatic look to the room
January 16, 2013 at 7:48PM   
decoenthusiaste
Can you move the china on the picture wall so it picks up the light? Just reverse them. Try one of your candle chandys over the bar in the kitchen and the other one in a hall or foyer. You need bling in the dining room and joycefoley and I agree on the style direction!
Indoor 4-Light Chrome/Crystal/Metal Bubble Shade Chandelier
Indoor 4-light Chrome Antique Bronze Chandelier
Regent Iron 12-light Chandelier
Possini Euro Design Bubble Cascade Pendant Light
January 16, 2013 at 7:59PM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would add crown molding, no chair rail, it does make the room smaller. As you have rounded corners, that makes painting this room different from the rest an issue. Is there a color on the walls now and if so, what is it? If it has some color to it, I would probably leave it if you like it OK. You would need to paint the entire contiguous area if you change it. But if you do, keep the color med/light in tone and paint the ceiling the same color..please. I would install simple drapery panels off the window except for the edge to cover side trim. Purchase ready mades 95", double width. Hang at the ceiling on a simple rod. Choose a beige/neutral/linen maybe a texture, but a solid color. Choose a bright, great patterned rug for under the table..not too skimpy, fill the floor. If you have fabric seat cushions, change the fabric to a great stripe or trellis pattern using colors from the rug. Hang a large round framed mirror opposite the window, have the bottom of the frame be just higher than the chair backs, and centered on the wall equal to the center between the two light fixtures. A group of 4 identically framed Maybe 16" x 14" (simple black frames white mats) black & white photos, hung in a square, on the wall where the ?family? picture is hanging. I like joycefoley light fixture, I particularly like the black shade... purchase 2 obviously. Add tall green plants in large grand pots on either side of the china cabinet. That should just about do it.
January 16, 2013 at 8:13PM     
PRO
Alexei Rebrov Art
I saw that someone already suggested brighter artwork. I agree.
Here is an example of orange, worm and fuzzy photo of a autumn garden in Toronto, ON http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/orange/products/abstract_print_on_aluminum_-3317

Or even red art: http://alexeirebrov.com/collections/red-1/products/abstract-print-on-aluminum-5497
This one has design elements.
January 16, 2013 at 8:54PM     
danals
Thank you Barbara Griffin Designs and Alexei Rebrov Art, those are wonderful suggestions! Definitely want to change the light fixtures now. My walls are painted with BM Cotswald as is my kitchen and livingroom. I have one large open wall in the adjoining kitchen that is BM whitall brown. And this is a fairly new paint job so it needs to stay. Love your suggestions for framed black and whites and a round mirror.
January 17, 2013 at 5:27AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Since all the furniture is so dark i would recommend going with a more neutral colored blind to really brighten up the space.
January 18, 2013 at 1:12PM   
danals
Thank you all! I am thinking about introducing a light teal blue for accents either on the table or in the china cabinet.
January 18, 2013 at 3:34PM   
Judit
Your dining room looks very gloomy. There is too much black and grey. Come on it's not a funeral, it's a place for family dinners! The simplest way to change the looks would be to paint the walls to some other colour. Love the lamps! perhaps you should go on with the mediterranian concept regarding the wall colour?
January 18, 2013 at 3:44PM     
danals
this is a new paint job..... so won't be repainting soon the color is BM cotswald it really isn't gray at all as these pictures show.
January 18, 2013 at 3:59PM   
PRO
HAUTELINE DESIGN
add lighting... love the chandeliers above!
January 18, 2013 at 3:59PM   
danals
yes the chandeliers are gorgeous! I think I will switch to something like that and add some colorful artwork to brighten things up! For some reason I am often drawn to dark oversized furniture and then have ahard time making it work in my small rooms.
January 18, 2013 at 4:03PM   
jannielee
Barbara Griffith is spot on with her suggestions. The only I might have suggested would be a two tone patterned drapery in a graphic pattern, but not if you get a boldly patterned rug with color. I like the idea of color fron the rug and black and white photos. If the art feels dark, add substantial white/off-white mats with a narrow black inner mat. The round mirror with large silver frame will be perfect. Love the Possini lighting. Barbara's got your room just right
January 18, 2013 at 4:30PM     
blondish1
Paint colour help - I started painting just the wall behind the fireplace. I have stopped, not sure this works with the tiles. I would appreciate any feedback and or suggestions
January 20, 2013 at 12:49PM   
blondish1
I am sorry this should not have been posted in your discussion. Oops should have been a new one.
January 20, 2013 at 12:52PM   
jansgirl
I adore monochromatic color schemes but seriously, I thought you had posted black and white photographs at first!

Please post pictures of your changes-you have great taste and I'll be curious (or just nosy) to see what you do!
January 20, 2013 at 1:12PM