Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New Bathroom Paint Color!!! HELP!!
Lisa-Marie Wells
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I need to repaint my one and only bathroom.... I was going to go dark, but I'm just not sure! Any suggestions???
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
elklaker
As you have the lovely, bright beadboard, a dark wall color would be fine. If that is what you want, go for it. What color are you thinking?
January 16, 2013 at 3:22PM   
iamchickaddd
Oooh, I dark moody blue would be pretty...
January 16, 2013 at 3:26PM     
carolannr
I think that blue would be great with all the white beadboard!
January 16, 2013 at 3:30PM     
decoenthusiaste
Don't go too dark without increasing the wattage in your light fixtures. You can get it so dark that the paint gobbles up all the light and you can't see your reflection in the mirror. Seen it happen more than once.
January 16, 2013 at 3:31PM     
joycefoley
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/glacierblue
The problem with a dark color is the room feels and looks smaller, especially in a bathroom. I love this 'glacier blue' by Benjamin Moore. I have seen towels, soaps, and shower curtains flooding the stores for 2013 that would compliment this color. If it's in your budget, I would replace everything in silver to compliment the blue. You could paint the mirror frame in silver.
January 16, 2013 at 3:48PM   
Lisa-Marie Wells
At this point I don't have the budget to replace all the bathroom hardware..... I was thinking Gray tint by Benjamin Moore. http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/graytint#ce_s=gray tint
January 16, 2013 at 4:09PM     
Jill Brown
your bathroom has a "country" vibe. If you are keeping your accessories I would avoid doing the dark blues, even grays may be difficult to find that complement your gold/bronze accessories. What about going a couple of tones lighter or darker than your woodwork colour. It may not seem exciting but your accessories will look good and you can go bold with towels or stay very zen and keep them on tone.
January 16, 2013 at 4:33PM   
joycefoley
I like the color you chose, maybe change up the decor a little to compliment the gray. Is your faucet gold?
January 16, 2013 at 5:02PM     
Lisa-Marie Wells
I am not keeping the flowers or the shelf. That wall will just be photos.....
January 16, 2013 at 5:29PM   
sealedesign
Bathroom wall colors should definitely be tested first. Try one wall then add some tan, white, grey to the paint and try again. I have had to paint a bathroom over 3 times because the perceived color from the chip was bolder and darker than I had imagined. I suggest going much grayer and lighter than you think then testing. find artwork you love and chose the color from that making sure it works with you permanent stuff in the room like hardware.
January 16, 2013 at 5:48PM   
PRO
Maria Killam
The place to look for your bathroom colour is the rest of your house to create flow. If this is also used as a powder room, it could be the accent colour from your living room for example. You haven't shown us the floor but if it's as neutral as the white in this space then a happy, bright colour would be fabulous with white. Here's a post that might help: http://www.mariakillam.com/2009/03/the-right-way-to-create-flow-using-colour.html
Maria
January 16, 2013 at 5:55PM     
Trina Ambrose
I agree with Maria, I'm not a great believer in rooms being different colours. Your bathroom should therefore reflect the feel throughout your house creating a flow and natural elegance. Having said that, there are many colours that would work well with your existing cabinetry - it may mean though that a change in your taps and accessories is required. If you are going to go dark walls, I think some white framed pictures and white accessories like coral would make a stunning contrast. The only caution would be that in such a small space colours can often appear darker than originally thought, I would therefore try sample pots and also make sure your lighting is sufficient. Just some thoughts, hope they are helpful....
Harding Township Farmhouse
Nordquist
Bannockburn Residence #5
Newport Beach Custom Home 01
Great Neighborhood Homes
January 16, 2013 at 7:35PM     
Lenna Halkes
I like the idea of a nice warm blue, not too dark, not too light. Here is the blue I picked for mine. I like to paint wainscoting and trim a nice eggshell cream to soften, but his blue goes nice with different shades of greens and browns too, depending on the look you are going for.

I did another in a pastel sage, called Wesport Green, by Martha Stewart. I attached a pic for you to see. I had it in an adjoining kitchen area as well. It is a very warm colour without being dark and goes well with white trim or wood. I love it

I like the idea of a nice warm taupe too. You have lots of options.
January 16, 2013 at 8:12PM     
Lisa-Marie Wells
I adore the color of the dining room above!
January 17, 2013 at 3:26AM     
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
Try Ben Moore's Stratton Blue--it's a beautiful medium tone blue/green/gray that would look really nice with all the white trim, but not so dark that it would make the room feel small.
January 17, 2013 at 3:46AM     
jannielee
Since you seem to be open to colors, how about if you find towels or a shower curtain you love, then select a paint color you like to go with your inspiration item. It's easier than working from the other direction. For example: http://www.katespade.com/june-lane-bath-towel/323050BBL,default,pd.html
Or http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=204948&RN=2393&
Or http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=40910680&RN=10&
Or http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=105605&RN=8&
January 17, 2013 at 4:00AM     
Lenna Halkes
Lisa, the Westport Green would look great in your bedroom and tie in with all your existing stuff as it just goes with almost anything.
January 17, 2013 at 5:39AM   
sealedesign
from another post a woman wrote: tiles rule if you have them. Use the darkest color in the tiles for the walls.
January 17, 2013 at 5:39AM   
PRO
Vera Beaman Design Consultant Ward Brown Builders
I like the color that is on the walls...what is it? remember that wall paint reflects, a small green bath will make you look sick in the mirror. The same is true with the other colors. I would rather have a rosy complexion.
January 17, 2013 at 6:21AM     
Lisa-Marie Wells
Love all the comments. I was thinking of doing a light gray/blue. what do you think about this color? Benjamin Moore's Gray Tint http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/graytint#ce_s=gray tint
January 17, 2013 at 3:59PM   
Lenna Halkes
It's hard to tell from off the computer, but it seems a bit light.
January 17, 2013 at 4:04PM     
iamchickaddd
I agree with Lenna that it seems very light...gray would be nice but a bit darker maybe.
January 17, 2013 at 6:53PM   
Lenna Halkes
I love the shutters on the window too. This would be cute country cottage style, which is often shades of blue with bead board or wainscoting.
January 17, 2013 at 7:05PM   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You can go darker with a color without it being a dark room. Work with tans and browns but stay with the lighter shades of these and it will look great.
January 17, 2013 at 7:12PM     
PRO
Pamela Tripas
Lisa, contrary to others, I like the color you chose. You can add darker colors by changing your towel colors and other accents. Color in a bathroom definitely reflects on your skin. For example, if you choose dark tan or brown, apply your make up with brown reflecting on you skin, then go out into natural light, you may find yourself looking in the rear view wondering why you look so pale. Since this is your only bathroom, I would choose your wall color carefully, taking lighting into consideration.
January 17, 2013 at 7:14PM   
Natalie
Hi---Sherwin Williams SEA SALT or Ben Moore's SEA HAZE for walls... CheerS!
[houzz=][houzz=Owners Bath][houzz=Dining Room]
January 17, 2013 at 7:21PM