Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What's missing??
Liz Cole
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Have done a bit to the lounge, definitely need some art work I thinks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Liz Cole
More
January 16, 2013 at 3:02PM     
decoenthusiaste
Everything is up against the walls. Pull the small sofa away from the window a bit and you'll give the impression you have space to do so. Curtains should be floor to ceiling, hanging loose, not gathered up. Area rug is too small (use it to land on at the door) and so are the little candle holders. Use your trunk for a coffee table with the large sofa. You could use some nice floor lamps, and just ditch the two little tables that don't make for storage. You have too many pillows, and need a punch of color in a large area rug, art over the large sofa and bright pillows (slipcover a few of the ones you have.)
January 16, 2013 at 3:13PM     
dugchris
Yes, some pictures on the wall would be great. You need some highth in the room, everything is all the same. If possible I'd put two chairs with that wood trunk between them in front of the window, so it would break up the rectangle line of furniture around the room. Also for highth in the room you could add some tall plants with uplights. Have fun.
January 16, 2013 at 3:15PM   
Liz Cole
Thanks for ideas, really want to change lounge around a bit somehow. As for the rug, it's only temporary for now. What colour do you suggest for a rug?
January 16, 2013 at 3:20PM   
decoenthusiaste
You have no color at all, so what's your favorite one? Start that direction with rug or art to determine where to take the rest of it.
January 16, 2013 at 3:22PM     
houssaon
Allposter.com is a good source of all types of art in various sizes. I pulled a few that I like for color. Vintage posters are very interesting, I think. These might not be your style, but I'm sure you could find ones that you like. You can have them framed or buy them unframed and you could them do the framing yourself.

Also check out local artists. The ones I know, have reduced prices a little bit because of the economy. You might find some unknow artist whose work you admire.

I don't think you should put a rug over the carpeting. But you could add some print pillows in red, green or blue. I like the idea of pulling the small sofa out a few inches from the window and untying the curtains. Also, like the use of the trunk for a coffee table.

Good luck!
January 16, 2013 at 3:53PM     
Nancy Hehmann
If you need artwork or decorator pillows, look on Etsy.com. Put what you need in the search engine. There are shops on Etsy from lots of country. If you want photography from England, you can input that in the search engine. Or perhaps you would like another country or sailboats or Carribean.
You can contact any of the shop owners too.
January 16, 2013 at 4:11PM     
Liz Cole
Have added lighter curtains that drape to the floor and moved the sofa forwards slightly also put a tall lamp in the room. Deffo going to get some art work
January 16, 2013 at 4:25PM     
janwilson
One way to break up the wall is to mount the TV on the wall and then place a small lamp on the cupboard underneath but to one side
January 16, 2013 at 4:41PM   
Liz Cole
Made some small changes
January 17, 2013 at 2:22AM     
michigammemom
I much prefer the light colored curtains. I would suggest a larger area rug that incorporates the colors of your throw pillows.
January 17, 2013 at 3:31AM     
Julia Hale
try your TV in the corner and move that chest as a coffee table. the window is so pretty I would put 2 chairs there to frame the beautiful window with draps on side and table in center.
January 17, 2013 at 12:37PM   
janishill
Deco hit on all the points I was going to make. :-)

Move the small rug to just in front of the door. Use the trunk as a coffee table. Add a green plant, some candles(maybe those that are on the TV stand) and a book or two to make it look like it belongs. If you can add a tray to hold everything. Then when you need to get inside the trunk it will be easy.

You have far too many pillows. A couple of large brown ones would compliment the brown and blue ones you already have. Get rid of the others. They are taking up valuable space. Or purchase a couple of larger, printed pillows that have the same blue & brown colors. You can add and subtract pillows to get lots of different looks.

You could also add a band of color at the bottom of your curtains and hang them higher and wider (see illustration)

What is your style? Modern? Add the floral rug. Traditional? Add the blue and brwon floral. Eclectic? Add the Union Jack.
January 17, 2013 at 1:15PM   
Susanna
Love the new curtains on the window. I also love those pillows on the sofa in front of the window. Gorgeous blue. I would suggest a large rug with that color in it. I have rugs on top of carpet and it gives the room a very luxurious feel. No problems with the underlying carpet so far (two years).
Also, that blue would look great with some large brass or silver pieces. Julia and Janis, above, mentioned the trunk as a coffee table with a tray on top. Might be a chance to introduce a little sparkle with a metal tray. I found some silver trays at an estate sale, and a chandelier, that I would not have been able to afford new.
Good luck! I like your changes so far.
January 17, 2013 at 1:55PM     
Liz Cole
Thanks for comments so far has helped!! This is the change so far, I like the rug where it is now. Will try look at putting tv in the corner just difficult with the cables
January 17, 2013 at 4:13PM   
PRO
Wallmark Homes
Adding in some more dramatic bright colors like the pillows will help brighten the room.
January 17, 2013 at 4:15PM   
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
I can suggest saiboat models or couple of nautical decor items
January 18, 2013 at 7:31AM   
Liz Cole
Any different??
January 20, 2013 at 8:16AM     
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
OMG the window is so omproved! congrats
January 20, 2013 at 8:30AM     
Liz Cole
Thanks! It feels more clean in here with just a few changes!! The curtains have made a difference and bringing the small sofa by the window forwards. Also got rid of the tables, and added the floor lamp. Will be putting up some colourful art work soon :)
January 20, 2013 at 8:39AM   
Liz Cole
:)
January 20, 2013 at 8:40AM   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you should be pleased
January 20, 2013 at 9:00AM     
Liz Cole
Added small coffee table to break room up too
January 20, 2013 at 10:05AM   
AMN
(Off topic) Hey! Ryan Adams & The Cardinals III/IV! Love that album. :-D

It's getting better. A coffee table should be the size of at least two of that little end table you added in the center of the room. You've got two wood colors going on. What color do you want to transition toward?

Look into getting a triptych for the wall above the tv. There are some beautiful choices. Pick the color(s) you want to introduce into the room, and get art that will look great and be sized appropriately. http://www.etsy.com/search?q=triptych&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US
January 20, 2013 at 10:15AM   
Liz Cole
Thanks for noticing!! Do you mean the colour of the tv stand being black? We want to change it to match the trunk and the coffee table is temp as wanted to see if it could work but definitely want a lower, longer coffee table to match furniture
January 20, 2013 at 10:23AM   
AMN
Yes. I'm talking about the tv stand vs the rest. So you want to head toward the lighter color. Just making sure. Since everything is square, and the space isn't huge, consider an oval-shaped coffee table. It'll add some visual interest, softness, and make it easy to get around.

I'd like to say I'm detail-oriented enough to have noticed the album on the floor, but I'm just obsessed with that album, so I immediately spotted it. Cheers!
January 20, 2013 at 10:37AM   
piranha123
Larger rug to make it feel more cozy!
January 20, 2013 at 10:44AM   
janishill
much improved already! Great job. :-)
January 20, 2013 at 2:34PM     
Liz Cole
Small changes....