Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Ceiling of Italian/Tuscan retaurant
barbmarz
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Have gold/yellow walls, creamy trim, dark floors, ceilings, baseboards & furniture with red/gold/black upholstery, Contemplating painting ceiling light blue/grey to brighten/lighten space -- your thoughts? Ceiling color ideas? What's your favorite Tuscan yellow/gold wall paint color? (Normally interior is not this bright because blinds are closed to keep sun out of diners eyes.)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
One of my favorite golds in this area is SW Classical Gold SW 2831. But I like Tanager SW 6601 for a great red. I would paint that color on the ceiling. Smashing. Don't add yet another color. Also the nice metal piece over the doorway to the bar. Buy that same piece and hang it over EVERY doorway you have..on both sides if they are all public rooms. Art work needs to be much larger. The little pieces between the windows in the 3rd pic are also too small. I would replace them with 3 plaster medallians in a column between each of the windows. Think on a more grand scale.
January 16, 2013 at 3:57PM   
barbmarz
Love the red ceiling idea if can talk partner into it ;) Don't have SW 2831 in any of my decks will have to go to store & ask. I understand about the small artwork in 3rd pic but they are photos of family homesteads & trips to Italy, and always generate a lot of comments & inquiries. Maybe I can find something to better anchor them in the space. Thanks for the help!
January 16, 2013 at 4:25PM   
ruthmand
May I make a suggestion that does not directly relate to your dilema but does relate to the look of your restaurant. I would urge you to lower the backs of your booths. All that dark wood is not very inviting and not needed to give diners some privacy. Most diners like to be seen and enjoy seeing other guests. That is part of the fun of eating out. Besides, they chop up the look of your lovely restaurant. And if you could upholster them that would be even better as those perfectly straight backs do not look comfortable. Sorry, but that was the first thing I noticed looking at your photos.
January 16, 2013 at 4:54PM   
barbmarz
Thanks, Ruth! Don't disagree with you on booth back height & upholstering but it's not in the cards now because of cost. Paint we can do.
January 16, 2013 at 5:29PM   
ruthmand
Glad you didn't take offense! Back to your original question re the ceiling, I think a deeper color would look better than a light color. Barbara Griffith gave you some excellent suggestions. Sounds like you have a family type restaurant and staying with warm colors in deeper tones would enhance that atmosphere as well as give you relief from all the dark brown.
January 16, 2013 at 5:58PM   
PRO
STUDIO MB
Paint the ceiling the same color as the walls and do an accent wall in the sienna colors. Also you may want to do a watered down stain to give an old world appeal like this photo.
January 16, 2013 at 6:12PM   
PRO
Traditional Log Homes Ltd
If I was in Tuscany I would look up into a ramada of beams and wire with grapevines and grapes hanging low beneath the canopy. You can't go too far wrong if you simulated that .
January 16, 2013 at 6:16PM   
iamchickaddd
At first I thought "No" on the light blue/grey but then the one photo shows the blue/grey in the slate floor so I think it would look nice if you tried to match that tone on the ceiling.
January 16, 2013 at 6:23PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Please don't turn it into a "gitchy" place. No focal wall, no grapes. Sorry. Try to stay tasteful. You can look at the colors @ http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/ If you want to try anything you could age the walls with a simple wash...not sponging, not ragging, just a simple wash. Try samples on same wall texture to see if it would work for you. But keep it clean.. keep it simple..keep it classy.
January 16, 2013 at 7:33PM     
decoenthusiaste
Consider SW's 6675 Afternoon (a lighter golden color) and for the ceiling 6807 Wondrous Blue. Except for the bar stools, furnishings feel very craftsman. Seems a bit odd for the type of cuisine. I see a lot of art, but can't detect a theme to it. Some is hung way too high though (like the piece by the door near the bar. Agree with Barbara Griffith Designs, not to go kitchy. If you are a serious Italian spot though consider installing a wood-burning pizza oven in the bar area.
January 16, 2013 at 8:16PM   
barbmarz
Slate floors only in entry/bar area, so only do ceilings there lighter? Space is so small am afraid to break it more with different colors in adjoining spaces. Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions especially specific colors! No chance of grapes here ;) If we have time will try the color washing. Unfortunately, no space or money for wood burning ovens. Furnishings came with business other than DR chairs. As mentioned earlier, small art is all family photos from Italy, and with a couple of exceptions, other art is 'commercial Italian genre'. Wish I could find more of the metal pieces like the one over the doorway, it's great!
January 17, 2013 at 8:36AM   
iamchickaddd
I think a lighter ceiling in the entry/bar would be nice but maybe more of a gold tone.
January 17, 2013 at 8:52AM   
Dee Gould
Group your lovely homestead and trips to italy pictures together...because they are small, grouping will give importance...please no hanging grape vines! You are on the right track to enhancing an already lovely place
January 18, 2013 at 12:16AM