Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need exterior color scheme help
April Kennedy
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought and want to update. I don't particularly want black shutters, but want something timeless and something that would appeal to the masses, but still stand out (it is being flipped). Any ideas? pictures of your ideas are super appreciated too!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
kimdee24
Lovely house!

Interesting that quick Google search brought up a ton of red brick houses with black shutters. But I think they'd look really nice painted out a crisp, bright white along with the window trims. And the door painted a bright red.
January 16, 2013 at 4:12pm   
joycefoley
Trying to figure out the current color..I would go with gray to compliment the roof. Window headers would add an extra touch to the overall curb appeal.The dramatic touch above the door suggests a Federal style so the window headers will add to it. Trim the yews in perfect round balls.The gray in this photo shown is too dark, light creamy gray maybe?
January 16, 2013 at 4:16pm     
auntagatha
Crisp white is a very traditional trim color for this house. For a little contrast, you could do the trim in white, the shutters in black and the door a glossy black or red I would make them all the same width for continuity.
January 16, 2013 at 4:17pm   
joycefoley
I agree, a red door and maybe white is the safest and quickest way to sell. Changed my mind about the gray I'm getting too matchy matchy! But the window headers (on the lower level only) will be a great touch.
January 16, 2013 at 4:25pm     
Nancy Hehmann
You have great ideas. I would drive through some other neighborhoods till you see a combination that really appeals to you. I would paint the trim around the door and windows white myself. Black shutters and a white door. I would get much larger side lights beside the door. If you are flipping, I would try to get a small copper pot of flowers for the porch - on both sides if space allows or small pots down one side of the steps.
January 16, 2013 at 4:27pm   
PeterandDeneen Schumacher
I agree with kdeley.
January 16, 2013 at 5:06pm   
joycefoley
I agree with Carolina about the lights.
January 16, 2013 at 5:06pm   
joycefoley
too big?
January 16, 2013 at 5:12pm     
anitajoyce
How about painting the trim, shutters and porch trim in white or beige. Remove the door and add one that is more modern in a red brown stain or color. Or maybe a white or beige door for a timeless and updated look. Will you be adding an extention over the door so that it has some dimension ? That would be nice.
January 16, 2013 at 5:49pm   
elklaker
Black shutters and a grey/ green door. Remove the two bushes closest to the door and plant a decorative ornamental bush (knock-out rose, oak-leaf hydrangea, etc.). Definitely some larger coach lights (love the above suggestion!). Clean up the yard and, depending upon when it goes on the market, some tasteful annuals for color.
January 16, 2013 at 5:54pm     
PRO
STUDIO MB
yes do white!
January 16, 2013 at 5:59pm