Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Update on my living room - still need advice
Monica Ellison
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello
I've made some changes to my living room. I changed the layout and bought lamps and a rug. The room still needs work. My next project is drapery. I have (3) windows in the common living dining area so I am thinking of a white or natural linen. As I said this is a work in progress...I still need to accessorize and hang my artwork...so please be kind. I appreciate all your advice.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
judianna20
9 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:46PM
mcbride2304
Rug and sofa look wonderful. Just make sure that the drapery in either white or linen is the same tone as the white or cream in the rug so it blends.too much contrast would be distracting.
3 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 6:55PM
kathycarr13
You need to move your furniture onto the rug.
13 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 11:48AM
Aggie Purvinska
Absolutely gorgeous room and fantastic suggestions!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 11:53AM
suemyles
I love Judyg's ideas of going indian. The vintage plume fabric would tie the rooms together nicely if used on the Diningroom chairs or maybe a table runner & dramatic valance
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 11:58AM
Brie Rehbein
I'd definitely try a darker fabric for the curtains. If you have a set of dark sheets, you could try putting them up to see how it would look vs. white. I think that navy or dark brown would look great.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:19PM
decoenthusiaste
Might like to see some mercury glass shades on your chandelier, or some very vertical linen ones.
Mercury Glass Chandelier Shade
Linen Drum Chandelier Shade
2 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:30PM
cocinera
About the drapes--if you put up a curtain rod that is twice as wide as the window and then pull back the curtains so that the whole window is revealed, it will create the illusion that the window is wider than it is. I think that would look nice.
6 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:44PM
PRO
Design Within Reach
Hi monica15,

You have a great home! I especially love the rug you have chosen for your space. Perhaps, to make the living space more inviting, you could add an armchair to each side of the sofa as well as a coffee table to create an inviting comfortable space. This will help enclose it a little and engage conversation between people.

Also, I think you are heading in the right direction with the drapery. A natural or sheer curtain will help to enhance the space while also bringing in some natural light.

I’ve created a 3D rendering of your space with the features I have listed above, check it out and see what a difference it could make. Find it here - http://dwr.mydeco.com/3d-design/discussion-topic/4005391/

Best of luck with your space, I am excited to see how it turns out!

Best,
Jill@DWR
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:42AM
Monica Ellison
Thank you Jill for the 3D rendering and all the other suggestions. I definitely like the idea of infusing some morrocan inspired pieces. I am decorating on a budget so I don't want to replace anything. I would like to work with the pieces I already own by adding just a few accessories to make it warm and inviting.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 11:30AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:03PM
Aja Mazin
I agree completely with mcbride2304 if you choose to go with the light colour draperies.

cocinera has a good idea about extending the rod.

Fantastic dining room!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:20PM
greta1
Love the direction you're going. I would like to see a sheer drape with a chevron pattern or something similar to your dining chairs. West Elm has some inexpensive drapery panels with sheer whites/greys that would bring some visual interest to the beige walls.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:42PM
nevadan
This is very pretty and very classical. Depending on where you live and the nature of the light that enters the room, you may need to warm it up a bit with some warm colors or warm metals.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:54PM
Danielle B
Love what you have done so far with the living room. I suggest a dark shade on those beautiful lamp you have. How about navy drum shades? As cocinera suggested, extending your curtain rod at least 12 inches past the window on each side, you will achieve a better balance with the sofa. I think you should consider a window treatment that has some sheen to it, like a shantung silk, it will fit your style better than a matte finish. You have lots of colors to choose from in your scheme, I would personally be tempted to match the pillow on the sofa.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:24PM
PRO
STUDIO MB
Where is the the rest of the furniture? Chairs,cocktail table etc?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:36AM
cocinera
Monica, every time I look at your pictures, I have the same thought. The walls and the floors are swearing at each other. The soft furnishings are all in cool blue-based colors, but the floor is a mixture of yellow and red. It cuts up the space. I'd pickle the floor to match the putty color in the area rug.Your space would look bigger because the walls and floor would flow into each other. Everything would look more relaxed.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:40AM
dbkter45
love the rug and definately the sofa... however I would place the sofa on the rug to make the room grounded, also add some contrast with pillows and a pop of another color would be fantastic, such aas the new 2013 color of a citrus color also the end tables may be a bit too small of a scale for the room and the fabulous lamps.. I would go for something wood or glass for in front of the sofa..maybe glass so that it wouldnt take a way of the rug... and the end tables a more of a chic glam feel.. other wise you are on the right track.. nice design concept!!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 11:42AM
dbkter45
I just realize how nice you did the dining room, the chevron on the chairs is a nice touch, however i would change out the light fixture and make that a statement piece, somtheing glamourous without to frilly... mercury glass adds a nice chic touch as I feel that the space represents. love the color of the wall!!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:46AM
cocinera
Dear dbkter45,

Definitely is spelled d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y. The expression is "take away from." Away is one word. Otherwise is one word. We use "in" with scale, as in "too small in scale."
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:56AM
gcofino
Monica love the color scheme… what's the name and color of the fabric on your sofa?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:01PM
feeny
Spellingzzandgrammarzz.com is another site, cocinera.
I really don't think Houzz posts require a red pen.
13 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:10PM
PRO
At Your Service Custom Window Treatments
lets bring the discussion back to Monica.....I like the idea of white draperies - maybe you could consider adding a banding or decorative trim along the edges to add some interest and bring in another element of texture and color - LOVE that rug!
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:50PM
Sharon
Beautiful choices so far! I'd like to see some silvery grey in your lounge area and a more modern light shade over your dining table. I say keep developing your style, it's lovely.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 1:52AM
judianna20
Would something like this work temporarily? The size is good, in the washed grey family and the price is amazing!

1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 7:41AM
Monica Ellison
Thank you all for your comments and advice. I've decided to go darker with the curtains. I've attached photos...please weigh in. I've also attached a photo of the coffee table I am considering.
Concinera, I do agree that the floors cut up the space because they have a red and yellow undertone, however, I can live with it so I will not restain/change the flooring.
Gconfino, here is the link to the sofa to get the fabric color http://www.drexelheritage.com/Furniture/Living-Room-Furniture/d-emporium/i438290-Hexham-Sofa.aspx
2 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 1:24PM
dbkter45
Concinera,
are you a designer? If so, what would be a nice color rug to offset a beige sofa, black table and buffet.. I would like to have a big bold patterned rug, with hues of that new yellow/gold and some grey.. I'm open to someone who is resourceful with designer grade ideas and taste... with some knowledge of interior design. Sharon do you have any suggestions, I see that you have very insightful and positive ideas.

Thanks
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:07PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
What do you mean "Be kind"? Your place is starting to look amazing. I love every piece. The linen draperies sound nice I think a stripe or a solid with a band of color on the edge and bottom.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:12PM