Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Flooring Suggestions
gg22
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Beautiful rounded brick fireplace. Great wooden ceilings. Plantation shutters. Painted Paneling. This is staged and is the house I am purchasing. Any cool ideas to not suffer losing the architectural details but trying to enhance the floor too? They just put the cheapest carpet in and it is ugh....
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Wow! Great place.

You've got lots of variables there. The celing, the fireplace, the walls, the trim, the shutter... They're all different.

I had an idea of something like this:
, but I worry that it's just adding another thing to the room.

I'll be curious to see what others suggest.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:36PM
gg22
thanks! this is a tough one! there is the brick on the other wall too! with the shutters open it is a light room and while i love wood floors, i don't know if it would get claustrophobic and small if the wood approached the color of the ceiling? or maybe just large horizontal tiles in a soft color from out of the bricks? aagh! this is a hard one!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:40PM
AMN
http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/wood-ceiling-
Look at how others handle a wood ceiling. Just skim for similar colored ones among the search results. I see a lot of contrasting going on (light floor, dark ceiling, vice-versa).
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:44PM
Jayme H.
Are u planning to work with the carpet for awhile or rip it out and are looking for alternative flooring ideas? I love your place btw!!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 7:49PM
decoenthusiaste
I think I'd live with the carpet for a while and tweak the furnishings, adding area rugs that will work with whatever you replace the carpet with. See how you like it as is and how your furniture works before making a decision.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:05PM
collettec
I would consider a slate floor in a gray shade pulled from the stone fireplace. It would be in keeping with the other natural materials in the room with the stone and wood. A beautiful place - congrats on your new home!
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 8:08PM
gg22
wow! you are all great! this carpet is so cheap and while it is new for the staging, it is just "there", no padding, over plywood, it is clean but not to my taste in the slightest. it makes me just want to pull it up myself.

i was thinking it would be better to just get it up and out of there now with new flooring installed while the house is empty of furniture (which it may be for awhile at the price of houses today! haha...., no seriously I have to go slow...)

perhaps the slate flooring might work emzc!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:20PM
gg22
oh, i forgot to tell you...the cheap carpet is in all 3 bedrooms too! triple ugh. the bedrooms do not have wood ceilings!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:21PM
PRO
Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
I'd change out all the carpeting for hardwood flooring.
Then paint the ceiling white in between the wood beams.
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 8:27PM
gg22
thats interesting! hmmmmm......
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:37PM
Matthew Jenkins
take a look at what I put on my floor - actually tile that looks like wood. Skip the hardwood- tile is much better :) I went with a light color similar to what AMN posted above, although this is actually my house that I put in myself. Looking at your picture, I might go with a slightly darker wood color. If you want to look at other images let me know.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:40PM
gg22
I am also wondering if the tile would make it feel cold? not necessarily your choice of tile, but tile in general Matthew? ya know?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:07PM
Matthew Jenkins
I had hard wood floors in another house for 7 years. Beautiful, but with dogs and a pool, tile was the ONLY way to go. they can also put down area rugs, which I did in other rooms (I put the tile in most of the house).
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:13PM
2eatcrow
I don't mean to hijack your thread gg but I am wondering Matthew what brand and color of wood-look tille is it that you used in your kitchen?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:37PM
shelle12345
Hey! I went to the estate sale at that house in December and I loved it! So much potential - Lucky you! I don't know if you saw the place before it was staged but it was definitely "lived in"! No matter though, it's a great house - Congrats!
1 Like   January 16, 2013 at 9:38PM
gg22
oh this is soooooo fabulous. i would love to talk to you and see how the owners did have the furniture! maybe you could remember!

this is so amazingly a small world that you would have been in there pre-me!!!

it is an interesting set of rooms. running out the door, don't know if there is any sort of personal chat on this houzz.

another of my concerns is that middle room if you can remember, odd shape, indoor fireplace bbq. french doors to garden, same ceiling. i can send a photo. later.

that is hysterical.

no, i did not go to the estate sale. wish i had. just found this area and it is all new but i was quite taken with the house and etc....

thx,
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:02AM
shelle12345
Very small world! Actually, the furniture that was still in the house was just lined up against the walls because everything was for sale - but it was already pretty picked over when we were there. The house hadn't been maintained and it seemed like whoever lived there had lived there for a long time. Yes, I remember the room with the indoor grill - very "60's" - I see your dilemma, however because the rooms are small and separate but it all sort of 'wraps around'. Could it be opened up somehow? I would love to see more pictures of how it looks now. (I'm not surprised they threw down some cheap wall-to-wall in order to get it sold - All the surfaces were really run down and dirty) If it were me, I would replace the carpet w/ a wide plank hardwood floor throughout the entire space. As I said before, it's a great house!
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 12:44AM
mumdogmillionaire
What about limestone tiles that look like flagstones?
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 1:56AM
PRO
Eco Options Hardwood
Def. get plank hardwood! I would do oak, fumed and oiled. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ecooptions/8151646082/in/set-72157631920310437
1 Like   January 19, 2013 at 4:46AM
intoit
What a fantastic home! Seems to me that one of the reasons it is so interesting is the use of all the natural materials so sticking with those seems to be the best choice. Hardwood floors or polished concrete is in keeping with the character of the home. Would love to see more pictures!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:02AM
apennameandthata
gr22, I don't mean to be pedantic, but if the carpet is in the three bedrooms and in the living area, then that is actually a quadruple ugh. Just sayin, not hatin. Congrats on the house, too.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:07AM
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
How about a Slate-Floating floor? We have just brought in (the second company in the world to offer this product) a Stone-Cork floor. It is finished with REAL stone (one is a blue/black slate and the other a silver mica). The cost is $5.99/sf and the cost of install is the same as a bad laminate!

The look of real stone without the cost of install and with many of the benefits of cork!

Have a look. https://www.corkfloorsales.com/Stonecork_Uniclic_Stone_Floating_flooring.html

Personally, I like the look of the "Silver Slate". It has all the colors present in your fireplace!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:01AM