Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help - What color to pain big wall in open rooms
Adam Feber
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have attached some pics of our new house. One is "merged" together but looks funky - in reality, it is one straight wall that is long, over 30 feet. The other pics shows the view from the kitchen.

This is one big open floor plan that includes the kitchen, dinning area (not shown in pics), and living room. We want to provide some separation between the living room and kitchen. The walls are currently all a natural beige.

Love the open concept but want the areas to feel like they are their own space.

Kitchen - pendant lighting over island and tile backspace (what color?)

Living room area - We are going to get a big area rug. Should we paint the walls? What color? FYI, our current couches are brown.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Question..how far is the long wall from the kitchen angled bar? It is hard to get a perspective on it.
January 16, 2013 at 8:28PM   
Adam Feber
It is hard to tell in the pic. It is bigger than it looks. The shortest end, where the bar comes closest to the wall, is about 15 feet. We are going to put the tv on the furthest wall diagonal from the kitchen which is about 25-30 feet.
January 16, 2013 at 8:54PM   
houssaon
First of all, I wouldn't paint. The color you have now is really nice and a perfect backdrop to a wide range of colors in furnishings including your brown sofas.

I assume that the area with the two smaller windows will be the dining room, since it is closer to the kitchen. Too bad the windows aren't centered on the space.

I would put Silhouette type shades on all the windows. Or Roman blinds in an attractive pattern, such as these, would look good on the three windows: Eclectic Family Room. I like the clean look of mounting on the inside of the frame if you have room. You could put drapery panels on a decorative traverse rod on the French doors.

These blinds in white are another option: Hunter Douglass Vignette Blinds.

Divide the space for the living and dining area by one sofa that is perpendicular to the wall. Position it somewhere near the middle window is facing a TV and console on the wall. This is one example how the living and dining area is defined by a sofa and an area rug: Fireplace.

Center your new rug in that area. (In fact, measure that area before you pruchase, so you get a rug the proper size.)

You can have one chair, an end table and lamp to the right of the long window and a coffee table in front of the sofa. On the wall opposite the long window you can put the other sofa with a floor lamp.

Besides your brown sofas, do you have any other pieces of uphulstered furniture?
January 16, 2013 at 8:56PM   
Adam Feber
I am attaching another perspective which show where the dinning area is going to be. We are thinking about a chair rail and two tone - brown/beige color scheme for that dinning area like this: http://trustnewdimensions.com/images/EditedDiningRoom1.JPG
January 16, 2013 at 8:56PM   
houssaon
I guess I was wrong about my assumption. Is there enough room for a formal dining area, a living area and a small casual eating area? Or if you don't need a casual eating area since you have a bar, then how about a library style office area near the French doors?

You wouldn't happen to have a layout? Or a rough drawing with measurements of the whole area. It would be helpful.
January 16, 2013 at 9:10PM   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would like to address the dining area. I would not add a chair rail or 2 tone paint, I think it would make the area seem smaller. I would hang full length drapery panels off the windows, to the crown molding on a simple rod, the fabric being a beige tone, natural fiber, solid color. On the actual windows I would have inside mount, woven wood, roman shades. I would hang a large round mirror on the wall adjacent to the windows. For the table maybe a round glass with parson chairs in a large colorful pattern. A rug beneath the table in a trellis pattern, maybe 2 colors. Of course a magnificent chandelier.
January 16, 2013 at 9:13PM   
houssaon
I wouldn't put a chair rail up in this open space. It seems too contemporary a space. Think about bringing in color in great big art pieces - paintings, prints and objects.

Colorful dining rooms: 827 New Brighton Drive, Bethesda, and (simple, but stunning)Noe Valley Residence.

Isn't this fun and notice the great rug in the living area: Hyde Park Renovation
January 16, 2013 at 9:14PM   
Adam Feber
Thank you for the feedback so far. Seems like the chair rail might not be the best idea :)

@houssaon There is room for a formal dinning table area and a casual on the other side but we have the bar so no need for both. I dont have a good layout but I quickly made one - see attached.
January 16, 2013 at 9:52PM   
arrandoon
When considering color for your walls keep in mind the permanent features, such as color of timber and bench tops in the kitchen, flooring,that is carpet and tiles. Next your furniture and furnishings, unless you are starting over with new it is very important to consider these factors. So all that said I would need more information to be able advise you.
January 16, 2013 at 10:20PM