Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
New Dining Room Chairs
Laura Pate Bridgers
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello again.

I took another trip to the antique mall today and bought a great set of chairs. The photo shows what they look like. These chairs are actually new and recently produced. I have been looking for a set of chairs like this and at thirty-five dollars each I couldn't walk away. My initial thought was to paint them in a bright color, but I am not entirely sure that I should. I also think the blond wood is a great look.

Would you paint them or leave the wood as it is?

I am also wondering what sort of table I should pair them with. I want to avoid a kitchen that looks like a retro diner, but I don't want to choose a table that is so distinctive of another era that they look odd together.

Do you think that I could pair them with a similarly styled table without the room looking overly retro?

Should I choose a different style of table instead?

Thank you for your help.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yvonnecmartin
I love the blond wood. Before commenting on a table we need to see a photo of the room. For example, what color are your cabinets? Will the table and chairs be isolated somewhat from the kitchen?
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:48PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
I don't yet know what the kitchen colors will be or if there will be a separate dining room. I'm shopping early and haven't found the apartment yet. Those aspects don't worry me; I can find clever ways to mask undesirable colors. I just don't want to end up with a retro themed kitchen. I love that style in smaller pieces, but I just don't want it everywhere.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:53PM
Ramona
I like blond wood. I do not think you should match the table: you should contrast the style of the chairs.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:54PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
Thank you, Ramona. I think the right contrast would be great; I just worry that it will look too odd with a table that is very different from the chairs.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 8:56PM
onthefence
Man, you ARE the Shopenista! I adore those chairs ;-)

Regarding table, what about a tulip table. I think those work in any era.

2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:01PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
Thank you!

That's a great table style. It's definitely simple enough to work with these chairs.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:02PM
Elizabeth Hayden
Love the chairs. Wouldn't paint them, at least not yet.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:04PM
onthefence
Depending on what's available to you shopping wise, Ikea has a version for $179 and CB2 has a version for $200. Of course, there's always Design Within Reach for $3000 or so.

If you search Tulip Table under the Houzz photos section, you'll see these with a variety of chairs. They're a really versatile table.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:06PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
I'm now thinking of finding a brightly colored table or repainting a table in a bright color while leaving the chairs as they are. I hadn't considered that combination before.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:06PM
Manon Floreat
I like the hourglass shape of this chair paired with the linear parsons dining table. Yours would look great with a silver leaf table or plain white.

3 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:09PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
Are you referring to the tulip table? Also, I have been to the Design Within Reach store in Palm Springs. They definitely had a great selection of furniture.

I want to mix old with new in my place. I love antiques and vintage items, but I also love modern things.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:09PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
I like the style of that table as well, Manon.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:11PM
Elizabeth Hayden
Tons of great modern tables out there that will look sophisticated. A rustic table would work also.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:14PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
I like the square shape of the first two tables. I think a circular table would look great as well, but with a simpler base.

I am no interior decorator, but I'm having a great time shopping for these things!
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:17PM
onthefence
Sorry, yes CB2 and Ikea have versions of the Tulip table. I really like the tables that Manon and Elizabeth posted as well.

Your idea of the painted table is fun too. If the living and dining areas are close, it would be great if you could pull out one of the background colors from your sofa.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:17PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
That's a great idea considering I will probably end up renting a small place. Perhaps a teal or aqua table would work with the hints of blue in the sofa.
2 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:21PM
Elizabeth Hayden
A sample of rustic tables that could work. Stay with nice clean lines whatever you choose.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:23PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
Thank you. I like the simplicity of those shapes. I do think hard shapes and clean lines will allow the shape of the chairs to stand out nicely.

I am curious about where the dealer acquired these chairs. He brought twelve in to begin with and a few of them have already sold. They aren't marked. Perhaps he crafts them himself.
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:27PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
I may just purchase a third chair and stack them in a corner of my living room as extra seating. I'm worried that they may end up being too low for the style of table that I am thinking of.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:44PM
DeHaven
I love your chairs! They are now classics and will work with anything. You might still be using them 50 years from now. I wouldn't make any decission about painting until you have found your home and table. It will come to you. People have posted some stunning options for your table.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 1:22PM
Laura Pate Bridgers
Everyone really has shown me some great tables. I decided that I would like a taller table with a slimmer design and these chairs just won't be high enough for that. I bought a third chair and plan to stack them in my living room as extra seating. It's starting to look as if my living room will be a blast from the past.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 1:27PM
Aja Mazin
huh?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 1:59PM