Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Master Bath help - Needs a major redo!
Carolyn Schoemer
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My master bath consists of a shower insert on the left, then the toilet, a window at the end, and then a 97 inch space on the right which now consists of two 30 inch cabs with sinks, then a wall, then a linen closet. My idea is to remove the wall to make it feel less claustrophobic, lose the linen closet (door awkward anyway) and figure out what to fit in the 97 inches. the left side will remain the same. Budget around $10-12k

A couple ideas:
two 36 in cab or one 72 in and then a tower with shelves
OR
A 36 inch cab then a vanity area, then the other 36 in cabinet.
(problem with this is far sink is right in front of toilet)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Carolyn Schoemer
A couple more photos
0 Likes   January 16, 2013 at 9:36PM
PRO
Dytecture
Personally I prefer a continuous run of double vanities, then a linen closet, which is what you have in the sketch.

1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:24AM
Carolyn Schoemer
Thanks for the response. That is what i have now, which creates three issues:
1. the wall between vanities and linen closet makes the bath feel smaller than it is.
2. the door from the closet opens into the room and is awkward.
3. the vanities are only 30 in each so sinks very close together and very little counter space.
i know having a closet is an asset but the bathroom is too small. there is a cathedral ceiling which helps but not enough. I suppose the wall could be cut down 10 inches so level with vanities and that would help :-)
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:58AM
houssaon
Instead of a closet, why not cabinets? You'll gain a couple of inches by removing the wall, more importantly you can make the cabinet narrower. I would put a couple or three drawers in the bottom to the same height as the vanity and on the top shelves that are only 12 to 18 inches deep with a double doors. Here is one example: JAUREGUI Architecture Here is another, but I would recess the upper portion: Greenlake Custom Home. I think it is counter productive to have deep shelves and recessing the uppers will give you more visual space. This example the extra storage is part of the vanity: Master Bath Retreat. A mirror on the upper cabinet door will also reflect light and make the space seem more open.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:16AM
Carolyn Schoemer
wow, nice! are these custom because i have a budget. On the first photo what is above the criss-cross towel holders? this i would love and recessed back is a great idea. Question is where can i get all these for under $2k?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:31AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
Most of what you are seeing here would be custom. Try looking for someone in your local area that carries the Wellborn Forest Americana Capital line of cabinets. Made in USA. They are wood, but not high end, and are priced to compete with the chinese imports. There are some limiatations on colors and styles, but that will be true of anything.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:20AM
Carolyn Schoemer
One other question - is it weird/bad to have one of the sinks across from the toilet? if in my photo you do two 36 inch sink cabinets and then a 24 inch vanity in the middle the one sink would be close to the toilet and window.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:28AM
PRO
Frank Webb's Bath and Lighting Center
I don't think it would be an issue, take a look at Woodpro.com, they have a huge selection of vanitys made in America in all price ranges, they can almost do anything! The one in the photo has 2 narrow vanities with a wider drawer bank in the center and a linen tower on top, but you can eliminate that if you want to
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:38AM
Carolyn Schoemer
Another question for anyone familiar with HONEY ONXY because that is what I want to use. I am hearing I shouldn't use all onyx (had wanted onyx in shower and floor and granite on counter) because it is too slippery. What other honed stone works with onyx with the creamy color (yellowish gold) without grey. I would consider a white or cream but brought home crema marfil marble and it looks grey next to the onyx. Thanks :-)
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:47AM