Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with tv /bookcase/ storage wall
Kim
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have been having an arg... ahh, discussion with my partner over what to do with the area around our lounge tv and the surrounding wall.
Our open plan living area is small, approx. 7.5m x 6.5m which contains the lounge, kitchen and dining area and we need a solution for our tv area and some storage.
I want to build a unit that fits the area , from floor to ceiling with a bench seat for storage, and shelves for knick knacks photos etc.
The there would be no back so the light still comes through the window during the day and the shutters would remain for night time. The curtain would go. Plus points for me lots of shelves, storage in the bench set allows the dvr amp and toys etc to be put away out of site. Negative, its not a large room so could encroach a little though I think the bench rather than a wide unit the whole way up solves this.
She wants a small entertainment unit for dvr , amp and co and a couple of book cases and cubes either side. Pluses , uncomplicated and changeable and doesn't block any light, negatives not enough storage and will result in toys being visible still, instead of totally out of the way.
So would love your opinions or other ideas, thanks in advance !
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Emily Hurley
Hi Kim! Quick question. Is there another wall that works for your television? It would be a bummer to go over the window space if there is an alternative. Any other angles of the room you can share?
January 17, 2013 at 5:34PM   
Olena Newell
Could you please post more pics of your living room?
January 17, 2013 at 8:18PM     
swewer
If you dont have another wall, angle it in the corner of the room to the right of the window....You need a decent stand however...
January 17, 2013 at 10:41PM   
PRO
Sunlight Properties Ltd
This is a really awkward space! What about trying to build a unit into the corner which seems to be dead space. This could house the television and other bits like dvr,amp etc. The unit could then extend out towards the door in length and in height either up to the start of the window or up to the start of the blinds. I would suggest drawers for toy storage and books above. In this way you leave the windows clear for light plus it looks like you have a pull down screen so the tv would be out of the way of that. This arrangement would also hide all those wires and cables!
Ikea have some good examples of storage which you could adapt or copy, such as Besta which illustrates the extended toy storage. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39927155/
January 18, 2013 at 1:33AM   
PRO
Alexandra Lauren Designs
If you could not block the windows, and build into the corner as suggested above that would be the ideal option. A corner built in unit that continues into a book case around the windows could be nice. The TV can be placed on a swivel so that it can be viewed from other areas on the room. You could also make window seats around the window area. It looks like you also have a projector so it could be nice to get rid of the TV all together? More photos would be very helpful.
January 18, 2013 at 2:08AM   
pepperdrink
If the tv can hang on the wall, give that a whirl. If not, you need a larger stand - and away from the the windows!
January 18, 2013 at 7:08AM   
PRO
Welcome Home designs
I agree with Olena.
Please show more of the room so we can offer you other options.
January 30, 2013 at 9:30AM