Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with colours of bedding and style
toot4roll
January 16, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Husband and i love our sleigh bed but our room needs a serious update. We need help with the style and colours of bedding and curtains and every other thing that will make our room more fun, warm, romantic and cosy. I like a luxurious look and feel. What style of bedding or duvet would be nice? Not sure if it's a helpful info but our night stands and dressers come in the same colour. Please help. Thank you.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jannielee
You really do have a blank slate. Looks like you need some substantial bedside lamps, good sized art pieces above the bed, new linens, pillows, etc.

My recommendation is to go find any one item, like the art or a rug. Make sure it's something you really love and has a feel of something restful that you want to live with and rest with in the bedroom ( so probably not reds or oranges). Let that item that you truly love take the lead then find things you think will go with it. Then find the paint color that compliments all of it.

Think of what makes you feel comfortable and restful. Would it be a zen like pale orchid and soft celery combination with white? Would it be natural, cozy earth colors of browns and fern greens? As long as you feel relaxed and not enervated by the inspiration piece and colors then it will be the right choice for you. Check out the radiographic art prints of botanicals by Steven Meyers on art.com to see if they inspire you. if you can't find bedding that you feel matches your inspiration piece, go with pure white sheets and a beautiful matelasse duvet or coverlet like you'd find in nice hotels and add color with pillows, a throw, draperies and accessories. Everything doesn't have to match. More interesting not to.

If the room still feels flat and you can't find artwork you love for over the bed, consider a bold lattice pattern wallpaper just on the wall your bed is on.

If you have room, consider getting a comfortable upholstered chair, side table and reading lamp for a cozy nook in your bedroom. The chair upholstery could even be your inspiration for the whole room. Check out HomeGoods for their odd chairs at good prices.

Good luck and have fun.
January 17, 2013 at 12:09am     
toot4roll
Thank you. Really great tips. I will look them up and see what I come up with. It's should be exciting.
January 17, 2013 at 12:18am   
michigammemom
Take a look at Pottery Barn for duvet covers and shams that can be layered, mixed and matched. Their website has a feature that allows you to coordinate linens and view them online prior to purchase. I like the warm clay color of this Alessandra bedding with your dark wood. I agree with jannielee that a matching pair of night stand lamps are needed as well.
January 17, 2013 at 4:15am     
MAlps
Hotel style beddiing is a beau tiful choice! It's neat, fresh and luxurious. It will also add some light to your dark furniture! I have it in my own bedroom, and I monogrammed it in huge in the center of the blanket. Traditional Bedroom great bedroom Baldwin Street Master Bedroom
January 17, 2013 at 4:44am     
MAlps
And for the monogrammed look
January 17, 2013 at 4:47am     
toot4roll
Amazing pictures, all of them - thank you.

Would you recommend a solid neutral for curtains or a fabric with patterns?
January 17, 2013 at 5:52am   
michigammemom
Window treatments, especially custom draperies are a considerable investment whereas bed linens might even be changed seasonally. Solid neutrals will have more longevity and versatility in my opinion.
January 17, 2013 at 7:14am