Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What should I do with my kitchen?
stokessl
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
paint color, counters? There is a white panel from the middle down on all the walls. Very beautiful. I just need some color! I was thinking a warm yellow, but I just can't get the right color.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
Such a nice large room! Have you looked at granite for countertops. I would choose a cream with a brown veining in it. Take your picture with you when choosing the new countertop. I would also buy choose new cabinet hardware in stainless steel and find an area rug that you like to add visual interest to all the wood.
January 17, 2013 at 4:33AM   
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with changing the color of the countertop as there are lots of dark wood tones already.

January 17, 2013 at 8:07AM     
carolannr
Exposure? How many more windows?
January 17, 2013 at 8:13AM   
PRO
Stoneshop
I agree with the above comments and think that new granite countertops would do wonders for your kitchen. Your current countertops are just getting lost in all of the wood cabinetry. You need something with some color and contrast.

Take a look at Giallo Ornamental, Santa Cecilia, Kashmir Gold, or New Venetian Light.
[houzz=Kitchen]
[houzz=Case Design/Remodeling, Inc.]

Once you decide on a countertop, then you can make your paint selection. Possibly a warm greige for the upper half of the wall treatment.
January 17, 2013 at 8:29AM   
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Depending on what you are trying to achieve, I would consider Carolina's suggestion and if the budget allows go for a stone counter, do that before you put on a backsplash. I would also consider choosing a backsplash you love and then draw colour and pattern for drapery panels from that. Here are some
basic shots to inspire you.
January 17, 2013 at 9:07AM   
PRO
Image 1
January 17, 2013 at 9:09AM     
PRO
Image 2
January 17, 2013 at 9:09AM     
PRO
Image 3
January 17, 2013 at 9:12AM     
PRO
Image 4 consider a rug as well
January 17, 2013 at 9:14AM     
PRO
Good luck with your project
January 17, 2013 at 9:16AM     
stokessl
There is actually a door closer to the left of the picture on the intersecting wall. That has a window. The window to the left is also a double window. So there is a lot of light. I love these ideas! This is helping so much!!
January 17, 2013 at 9:18AM   
PRO
Rustica Hardware
Maybe you could add an island or a butcher block table see: http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-blocks/
January 17, 2013 at 9:39AM     
PRO
Granite Transformations
You have a very nice template to work with here.

My suggestion would be the following.

Since you like yellow for paint I'd recommend one of the classic collection colors from Benjamin Moore-
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/motherearth.

I'd then pick a countertop that would pull your paint and cabinets together, something like our Walker Gold- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/#!prettyPhoto[col_gall]/16/.

You should consider replacing your hardware on the cabinetry too, something like a classic brass could be nice- http://www.myknobs.com/clb6003ap.html

last, new appliances. either a stainless steel package or black appliances could both work. it depends on what your taste is.

Good luck with you project!
January 17, 2013 at 9:54AM     
PRO
Appliances Connection
Exciting. This could end up really nice. First, you should probably get all stainless steel appliances. There was another case I helped with where someone had similar dark wood and all black appliances. She started complaining that her kitchen was too dark. So, stainless steel will help with that. I like your idea of a yellow. Here is an example of a Tuscan style kitchen I shared. It has a great yellow that is bright but not too bright.
January 17, 2013 at 10:01AM     
Norma Sassone
Light color quartz counter tops, much more durable and less porous than granite and does not give off radon.
January 17, 2013 at 10:13AM     
PRO
That's an interesting comment Norma. At a recent inservice there there was much discussion about radon vs the antibacterials in man made quartz countertops which are also bad for us. Consumers should by all means investigate what they are putting into their homes and the possible repercussions. Not all granite has radon emission and not all antibacterials are unsafe. If you are unsure about your granite selection investigate to see if there are any radon issues or if your supplier tests for such and if choosing man made products investigate what antibacterials agents are in the products. My understanding is that Europe is ahead of America with their standards - so educate yourself before making any major purchase and make an educated choice. I'm sure the debate will go on for a very long time :-) Personally, I have granite, no issues with porousity, heat etc. I love the natural look but have used man made quarts successfully for clients who are also very happy with their choice.
January 17, 2013 at 7:49PM     
onthefence
What about something like this for color? When I look at your pics, the cabinets and flooring are both beautiful - but they appear a bit red to me. It seems that a color that's a bit cooler might work. I was thinking something on the green side - or maybe a greenish yellow. There are probably better colors that the pros could suggest - but this one seemed like it would work to me. Then a light color countertop and a tile mosaic backsplash?

January 17, 2013 at 10:26PM