Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Too much wood!
hamiltonbeach
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just moving in to a new house and all the floors, baseboards and window trim is oak wood. I am staining the floors an espresso color, any ideas for walls, trim and base? Too much wood for me.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Nancy Hehmann
Area rugs can add visual interest and there are so many to choose from. Look at Target.com, JCPenney.com, RugsUSA on the internet. Capel also has a website and stores. Some of the windows I am sure you will use drapes over and then the wood will not be visible.

But, I think you are lucky to have so much wood. It does not need to be painted and is easy to dust. Just get a duster with a handle. I have a lot of wood and the baseboards that are painted always need upkeep - which means time and money. Just a thought, one HOUZZER says expresso floor show dust etc more than lighter floors. Not to rain on your parade. I am sure if you post individual pics of rooms you will get more suggestions if you need them for window treatments etc.

Have fun!
January 17, 2013 at 4:54am   
tgray2
I would print the trim and baseboards white. It is a classic option and will make your floors really pop. And it will go with any paint color you choose. For the walls, it depends on a few things like color of your furnishings, size of your room. If you tend to like cool color, select a pale gray. If you tend to like warm colors try a cream color. Both of these options go with about everything. But buy samples and try them out before you commit to a color. You really don't know how it will turn out in your room until you put it on the wall.
January 17, 2013 at 5:03am   
hamiltonbeach
Thank you. I was leaning towards painting trim white and walls either biege or gray. Another thought, the walls was recently painted white, so rather than incur that expense, is there any color option you would recommend for the trim?
January 17, 2013 at 5:40am   
sealedesign
Your rug will speak volumes. After you get the rug, think about if you really need the floor stained. The darker the wood, the more dust it shows. Once you paint, any dings will show, but with natural wood, you will never have to paint and wear and tear will blend in. Use curtains to cover most of the window.
January 17, 2013 at 5:49am   
tgray2
I still think white on the trim is the way to go. Because you are staining the floors a dark color it wouldn't look right to leave the trim as it is. So the trim needs to be addressed one way or the other. That leaves the walls. While they may have recently painted, white on walls can be a little stark. But see how they look after you do the floors and trim. You can warm up the room with window treatments, area rugs, furniture, and pillows. But if it still feels to cold, then you may have to bite the bullet and paint the walls. And relatively speaking, paint is one of the less expensive ways to dramatically change the mood of a room. Last but not least, take it one step at a time; give yourself time to let it sink in; and do what makes you feel at home. Good luck!
January 17, 2013 at 8:46pm   
standinginline
Keep it simple--paint the walls with color and add some rugs to offset the feeling of too much wood. The white walls are looking quite drab and medical-office-ish.
January 17, 2013 at 9:12pm   
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
If your decorating style is more traditional then Off white trim around the windows would work fine white walls or any other paint color of your choice.
If your decorating style is more contemporary then I would paint the trim the same color as the walls but in semi gloss. Stain the baseboards the same color as the floors. The dark floors will update the space and make it look less generic. I am not a fan of oak trim and cabinetry unless your decorating style is craftsman. Oak is not a wood that works well with any other wood species so staining the floors dark and painting the trim will give you more decorating options.
January 17, 2013 at 9:23pm   
simplify52
Hello. In our prior house the wood floors were the color of your picture. In our current home we went with the dark wood. The dark wood is harder to keep clean and does show dust and little pieces of lint easily which I am constantly cleaning. If I get the chance I will go back to your present color. Think this through before you stain your floors. Also, I favor white trim. I would paint out the baseboards, window casings and doors. Hope this helps. Good luck. : )
January 17, 2013 at 9:54pm     
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hello

add a nice blue or green color rug
add a wallpaper on one of the walls

regards
www.anishkmotwani.in
January 17, 2013 at 10:34pm   
sealedesign
I would move in, then as time goes and you have time to think about all aspects of your choices, the proceed slowly. This gives you more bang for the buck and you don't make mistakes that were expensive that you can't change. It is a pain in the butt to do it a little at a time and move all your stuff, but it's the best way to get it right without hiring a decorator.
January 18, 2013 at 9:35am     
John Seiffert
Designers always seem to want to work with what you have. If the trim does not appeal to you then change it.

If it were my house I would remove all the oak trim, which when painted looks like painted oak, yuck. Replace with an interesting paint-grade molding (look up Adams casing for example). This costs about $1.50 per foot. Do one room at a time, if needed, and I promise you will raise the value of your house and have a more pleasing existence. Also you won't be locked in to choosing wall colors to coincide with the stained wood.

There are books at home centers that show lots of beautiful pictures of different moldings. Check it out.
January 18, 2013 at 10:55am   
PRO
Rite Fast Construction
Here's some work we did on a very tough room, all with Ikea, Target, ect. very low budget...
January 18, 2013 at 11:14am     
adernburg
To me the wood is the best thing about this room, and the last thing I'd change. You could stain the baseboards to contrast more with the floor, but I agree with other posters that a darker floor is not a practical or desirable option. A warmer paint color (possibly something deep and vibrant, or just a warm white) would make a huge difference.
January 18, 2013 at 2:06pm   
Dar Eckert
Stain your trim espresso too. Ties the room together. As mentioned above get a large area rug and most of the wood dissappears under it.
January 18, 2013 at 2:27pm   
PRO
Wallmark Homes
I'd say paint the trim a white and paint the walls a nice grey color, will really eliminate the wood look that you don't like and add a more modern touch.
January 18, 2013 at 2:55pm   
jannielee
When i married and moved onto my husband's house, he resisted my desire to paint the stained trim all over the house. When he finally relented and we painted it white, he loved it. It looks much fresher and tends to open up the room. If you do the painting yourself, it will take a while and be sure to ask your paint store for their recommendations for prepping the wood before you start. Depending upon the paint you use, it may only be a matter of having the trim clean and dust free. I would recommend against colors and stick with white that will go with any future wall colors. Walls are so much easier to paint than trim. Paint all trim including baseboards and doors. Invest in a really good brushes, then be diligent about cleaning them thoroughly each time you stop painting. I like Pursy angled brushes and would get both 2" and 3" or maybe a 2 1/2" depending on how they feel in your hand. Remember they get a bit heavier once saturated and loaded with paint.

As for the floors, I agree with others that the dark floors are pretty but impractical. I suspect the trend to dark floors is just that, a trend, and that will be pricey and a pain to change once you're settled in with all your furnishings. I think you're lucky to have hardwood floors in good condition. Rugs will cover so much of the expanse of wood so I'd be surprised if the colors bother you once you've added all your furnishings and painted finishes.

Find the sofa, bedding, rugs and draperies you like then select your wall colors to match. That will be much easier. Most importantly, paint your trim before you paint your walls. The angled trim brushes will work great to cut into the trim when you start the walls. Ask someone at
The paint store to show you how to hold the brush for the most control. A professional painter gave me these tips and it made a huge mdifference in the work I did.

Good luck.
January 18, 2013 at 3:22pm     
PRO
Classic Designs by Brook
PAINT!!! for a classic look. it will lighten room and make everything clean and larger
January 18, 2013 at 3:35pm