Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curb appeal ideas for our new house
juliesayre
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Recently purchased this 1980's rancher. My husband loves the idea of the green door. I'm not a big fan, but I think maybe an emerald door would be a compromise. Any ideas on an emerald color for door and and a color for shutters? Also any other ideas would be great!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
crispysgirl33
black or charcoal gray shutters and paint the door CHERRY red! : ) cute!
January 17, 2013 at 5:13am     
Nancy Hehmann
Drive through neighborhoods until you find a combo you really, really like on another house. Browse pics on HOUZZ. I just saw one with aqua shutters that looked nice. Some people are really liking burnt orange doors recently and black shutters. But it is all about YOU!
January 17, 2013 at 5:32am   
Jayme H.
Your bricks are light grey, corrrect?
January 17, 2013 at 6:05am     
juliesayre
Yes between a light gray and light tan.
January 17, 2013 at 6:15am   
pollyannagal
I'd do shutter the same colour as the roof, and an emerald green door.
January 17, 2013 at 6:19am     
Jayme H.
There are so many colors u could do...front door doesn't have to match shutters/our home is a light grey and we have an orangish front door like in one of the pics
January 17, 2013 at 6:26am     
Jean Tuck
Smaller more homey, and I like the reno color, for this little bungalow, if it was to be mine Im hoping it had a clothesline and the new style tub that you walk in and sit down and close the door , I like bungalows with gingerbread trim and picket fences around back yard.
A nice counter island in kitchen area adjouned to open concept dining rm and living area.
January 17, 2013 at 7:00am   
Aja Mazin
Landscaping.
January 17, 2013 at 7:10am     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
juliesayre, I think the emerald is just a little saturated. I did a quick photoshop for the shutters and left the door emerald green. I don't know where you live, looks like maybe farther south than me. Anyway I think a nice little ornamental tree like a Cercis cancadensis - Redbud or a Saucer magnolia might look great in the spring and make a nice impact off the corner of the house, just don't get it too close. A local designer could probably help you better with plant selections, have a bed that sweeps in and out from the house will give it some more dimension than just foundation plants. Good Luck
January 17, 2013 at 7:16am     
PRO
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
I think a abrown tone against the beige brick would be better than the green. I've made a rough draft of a landscape design that I think would provide lots of curb appeal. I can't see what the rest of the yard in front looks like - need a photo taken of the house in the center instead of the side shot you made.
January 18, 2013 at 1:13pm     
PRO
Thank you Aja. I have a daughter with the same name which means " Love " in Korean .
January 18, 2013 at 1:29pm     
Aja Mazin
Sweet Caroline Garden Design,

Andrew and Winston-Salem, here, with a cousin who teaches at UNC-CH.

It is truly heaven in the spring when the trees are in bloom!!

Presently, mildewing in Florida....
January 18, 2013 at 1:42pm     
houssaon
I like the idea that Stone & Land, LLC suggested to keep the green of the front door and go a shade or two lighter for the shutters. I think it is subtle, interesting and out of the ordinary. If the front door were Benjanin Moore's Emerald Isle, do teal blast or cabana green on the shutters.

The aspect that is most lacking is the landscape. The plan that Sweet Caroline Garden Design provided is a really good start. I like the walkway, the planters, the positioning of the shrubs and the trees out in the yard.

Really a great looking house. Good luck!
January 18, 2013 at 2:06pm     
Aja Mazin
Shutters tend to chop up the elevation of your house and makes it look smaller.

I would de- emphasize them by painting them in a colour a bit darker than the brick.

A brown tone would lend elegance to your lovely, new home

[Since they are non functional, you could also remove them for a sleeker exterior.]

For maximum curb appeal, landscaping is your best investment.
January 18, 2013 at 2:45pm     
PRO
It may sound drastic but if you were my client I would advise you to paint the brick a nice brown , the shutters a sage green and miscellaneous trim a mustard yellow. The single post supporting the roof looks odd so I'd revise the entrance by adding a post on the other side and beefing them both up to emphasize it .
January 18, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Aja Mazin
huh?
January 18, 2013 at 5:16pm   
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Sorry I didn't get the colors for the shutters right. I took Aja's suggestion and lightened them up even more to a blue grey in this revision, added the landscape beds and a few larger shrubs. Your local plant nursery should be able to fill in the varieties. You'll get to evaluate them first hand. I didn't do anything too drastic since you have pretty good curb appeal as it is. I clipped a Knockout Rose that looks a little too bright in the photo, but just there to get the scale of plantings
January 18, 2013 at 7:41pm   
Jayme H.
I like the blue-grey shutters and agree some landscaping would be a great idea!
January 18, 2013 at 10:49pm     
Aja Mazin
Upon more thought, I would remove the shutters.
January 18, 2013 at 11:49pm   
suite168
The house looks very plain. To add to the curb appeal I would build a veranda with a wooden railing, chairs, plants and flowers and make the whole appearance more welcoming. There are many beautiful shades if green for your door. Emerald sounds lovely because it is bold and will compliment the plants. White shutters against the emerald will look very fresh.
January 19, 2013 at 1:01am   
laurieeas
I think you could change ALOT with landscaping. My first thought is to tear out the concrete walkway and put a meandering stone walkway coming toward the area where you shot this picture. Then line that new path with a perennial bed about 18 inches wide on each side. Your beds under the window can also be made in irregular shapes and nice foundation plantings in back of colorful annuals will help tremendously in grounding the house. Some gorgeous house numbers on the column by the front door as well as a piece of wall art on the left wall by the door will make for a welcoming entrance.
January 19, 2013 at 2:45am   
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
On Aja's suggestion, here is a revision with no shutters for your evaluation.
January 19, 2013 at 10:21am     
Aja Mazin
A suggestion for xeriscape landscaping:
January 19, 2013 at 10:56am   
PRO
Love the garden, don't like the overgrown evergreen yew hugging the foundation nor the red mulch. Is that faux stone on the facade ?
January 19, 2013 at 11:18am   
PRO
Choosing the right perennials and mixing with evergreens and ornamental grasses are far less boring than just evergreens, especially the clipped, formal ones and the green "bubblegum " shrubs that are pruned to death.
January 19, 2013 at 11:52am     
laurieeas
I love the suggestion above from Sweet Caroline. I have always used a mix of three for my front yard....foundation plantings, perennials that stay green and have lovely architecture, even when not blooming, and a nice sprinking of annuals to add pops of color in the off season of your perennials. You want your plan to be one that may cost more on the outset but be economical to keep gorgeous by fooling the eye to think you are always lushly planted but actually, annuals are just well placed. I also have a few lovely planters at my entrance that hold tall ornametal evergreens and I surround them with annuals of the season.
Stone and Land did a terrific job removing the shutters, but my gut feeling is that they actually tie the side windows to the front window with a little more unity. I like the shutters and feel they seem more welcoming.
January 19, 2013 at 12:27pm     
Aja Mazin

Mulch comes in many colours.
January 19, 2013 at 12:31pm   
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
me too with the shutters @ laurieeas.
January 19, 2013 at 12:32pm   
PRO
Yuk, to all except those that look like the good rich dirt, Aja.
January 19, 2013 at 12:32pm     
Aja Mazin
1. Shutters [non functional] are an inexpensive, unimaginative, exterior decoration with has become cliched.

2. Many people are no longer willing to paint houses non neutral colors, because they tire of it in a few years.Stay with neutrals and add color in the landscaping and other spots.
January 19, 2013 at 12:38pm   
Aja Mazin
I think we will be seeing more of the Hill Country style architecture in neutral stone and brick elevations in upscale home design.

Shutters, like gingerbread trims of the past, have seen their day
January 19, 2013 at 12:53pm   
PRO
When it comes to architecture, Aja , somethings never go out of style like my century-old American Foursquare .
January 19, 2013 at 1:09pm     
Aja Mazin

When it comes to architecture, some styles are timeless and many styles will be with us for generations to come.
January 19, 2013 at 1:24pm     
PRO
Stone & Land, LLC
Understood, about the shutters but it doesn't look like the home warrants a bunch of improvement; however the facade doesn't have a ton of detail to it either. It’s not a big hill country style house interesting roof lines and stone. Why delete shutters when you could just paint.

I like this concept for a front entry, with a seat wall, planter boxes and shutters, nice low water landscape and bluestone walk. Don't think it'd be budget friendly either to try to suggest they make this nice grey brick house into a French Country style abode.

[houzz=
]
January 19, 2013 at 1:25pm     
Aja Mazin
Stone & Land, LLC,

On the contrary, it is a beautiful home that deserves close attention to detail.
January 19, 2013 at 1:30pm     
Aja Mazin
Stone & Land, LLC,

So you live Chicago, Il.?
January 19, 2013 at 1:45pm   
PRO
I did for 45 years, Aja. Still own my home there but I've been here in N.C. for 2 years now.
January 19, 2013 at 2:01pm   
Jayme H.
Well, I am glad not everyone has the same taste, or things could get to looking a bit "Stepford".
January 19, 2013 at 2:02pm     
PRO
LOL Jayme Hobbs :-) And that's what makes the world go 'round.
January 19, 2013 at 2:20pm     
laurieeas
I think the shutter issue does merit thought. Yes, shutters can look dated, if they are paired with plantings and exterior ornaments that are too "cutesy"...i.e. little garden flags, trolls...which are all very dated as well. (Sorry if I am stepping on toes here.) I think this house could edge toward tired and cutesy but luckily we have entered an age in outdoor presentation where there are truly stunning and affordable planters available, metal sculptures, solar lighting, unusual plants, stunning house numbers...etc.... This house is plain but with a selective eye and an avoidance of cutesy, I think the shutters (painted a more muted color) could add to the welcoming experience which the owner is hoping to attain. I'd keep them.
January 19, 2013 at 3:31pm     
laurieeas
I'm also in favor of one more column.
January 19, 2013 at 3:33pm     
PRO
I agree, laurieas, the entrance needs more emphasis and balance.
January 19, 2013 at 3:37pm   
Aja Mazin
I agree that the shutters should be painted a more muted color.
January 19, 2013 at 4:00pm   
Emily Hurley
Did you end up painting? How did it turn out?
December 18, 2013 at 4:08pm   
juliesayre
To start we painted all of the shutters briarwood by BM. The front door is Charleston brown by BM also. We removed some poorly placed shrubs and added some dwarf box woods. We still have a long way to go, but at least the shutters aren't flat green!
December 23, 2013 at 4:47am     
PRO
Timberlane Inc.
Juliesayre, we are glad that you decided to keep the shutters! Although they are not properly fitted for the windows, they do give your exterior a nice touch. Without them we think your exterior would be too bare.

Further down the line, would functional shutters be an option? We think radius top shutters on the two front windows would look beautiful!
December 26, 2013 at 8:00am        Thanked by juliesayre
Denita
I agree that changing the shutters to the right size and style would make a world of difference. Here is an article by an architect that does an excellent job of explaining the difference and showing you what doesn't work http://www.lifeofanarchitect.com/residential-architecture-101-shutters/
December 26, 2013 at 12:24pm     
Emily Hurley
Love the new color!! Nice!
December 26, 2013 at 4:22pm     
raineycarole
Love the new paint scheme!
December 26, 2013 at 8:49pm   
bevballew
Agree maybe no shutters but new color looks nice.
December 27, 2013 at 6:09pm     
Abigail O'connor
What about doing something with that skinny little post?
January 11, 2014 at 3:48pm   
houssaon
Love the color choice.
January 11, 2014 at 5:19pm