Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with decision re living room wallpaper
kite0965
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am considering a feature wall with the paper choice below and wanted to know if i should extend to the window wall and perhaps the inside of the lower milwork? See ;photo's below on room and wallpaper choice.
Thanks
Sean
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
michigammemom
The wallpaper image did not attach. Please try again.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 6:38AM
kite0965
wallpaper "medium"
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 7:37AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Wall paper would be nice but not that one.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 7:45AM
PRO
Modern Age Designs, LLC
Wall Paper will look nice but I agree with Interiors International, Inc - not that one.
There are some really nice ones at the Sherwin Williams site - which have geometric patterns and or a damask style in a variety of colors. I hope it helps.
I would pick a darker colored wall paper because that room needs a bit of warmth in it. You can pick a beautiful gray that will be continued in your rug.
I wouldn't do it inside the lower mill work.
2 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:05AM
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
If you can find a good decorative painter, They can use a large stencil in a contemporary design to highlite the wall.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:06AM
PRO
Dytecture
I would not wallpaper inside the millwork.

1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:31AM
kite0965
Thank you for the input. Too dark? Too busy? I want to stay in this colour group....any suggestions?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:11PM
michigammemom
I love the transitional style wallpaper images that Dytecture and Modern Age Designs shared. The green wall paper sample you attached is not too dark or busy, but I find it much too contemporary for the traditional wainscoting and crystal chandelier in your room.
2 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:31PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi kite0965, Marie here.
You have a bit of a dysfunctional look happening here with the gorgeous chandelier and the very casual area rug and furniture.

You can push your sectional into more of an elegant look with drapery, wallpaper and toss cushions. But if you want the casual elegant look, you may want to rethink your chandelier - and purchase something more suited to the use of the room.

The wallpaper you've chosen isn't a good fit for the colour of the rug. It may be a good fit for the paint, but what is your end result you are seeking?
-casual
or
-elegant?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 12:37PM
PRO
Prime Walls
I agree you need to stick in the neutrals, and a little darker than the current wall colour you have, to create contrast.
The wall paper you have chosen is too dark and too busy, it would not have the effect you are hoping for.
Here are some alternative choices that would look stunning in your space.
There are so many more options to look through at
www.primewalls.com - there are just a start.
http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/672 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/122 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/1011 http://www.primewalls.com/products_residential/viewsku/544

Good Luck, and feel free to ask any questions!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 1:17PM
kite0965
Hi Marie, Sorry, i got cut off. No image for the lighter wallpaper. I am also changing the light fixture to a more modern fixture....likely Chrome or glass drop.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 1:24PM
Trina Ambrose
I think the wallpaper could work but only above your wainscoting - the curve in the pattern works with the shape of your sectional sofa. I would consider not just a feature wall to be papered, it looks like a rather large room and I think it could handle the warmth. The area rug definitely needs changing to maybe a plain jute or sisal for casual feel or pick up the colour in the wallpaper with a plain rug. Not sure about the dimensions of your room, but i would consider turning the rug the other way and pulling the sectional away from the wall and placing it on the rug a little. I think the light could be changed to a more contemporary fitting like a drum and then maybe a table lamp with a similar shade, also add a coffee table, whether it be solid or an ottoman. If it were at all possible, I would replace your chair with more of a statement piece upholstered in fabric, picking up your accent colour to bring in some textural elements (rather than being matchy-matchy).
Alternatively, you could bring in a large patterned area rug and then pick up the colour in that and repaint your walls - not so difficult to change if you tire of the wallpaper and an opportunity to bring in your colour.
Lauren Ralph Lauren Beckett Rug
Double Drum Pendant - Large
Granada Rug
Hooked Plain Tin Slate Wool Micro Contemporary Rug
Chunky Braided Wool Rug
Baxton Studio Caelie Gray Linen Modern Lounge Chair
For Sale on HauteBox.co
Outdoor or Indoor Summer Trellis Hooked Rug
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:52PM
kite0965
Thank you for the input.