Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me update my cottage....
oceanfamily
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi! We recently bought a small cottage by the ocean. We plan on adding on within five years but until then I'd like to do some minor updating. The kitchen appliances need to be replaced and I'm thinking of painting the cabinets white. I also need ideas for the countertop. It will be too big of an expense to replace, so I'm looking for other ideas to spruce up the kitchen. We are replacing the linoleum flooring throughout the cottage with wood and painting the walls. The walls currently have whitewashed beadboard and trim with cathedral ceilings. It is very bright with lots of windows. Any paint color ideas? Thanks for all your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
Painting over the cabinets should enhance the cottage feel. If you can live with countertop it could be left alone until you are ready to replace them all at once.

1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 8:33AM
carolannr
I think color on those cabinets would make an enormous difference with your current countertops. The white maybe too stark with the dark countertops.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:41AM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Wow, great getaway with nice design opportunities. If you can live with the appliances I feel you won't end up designing around them - $$$.
The counter and cabinets and location make me feel like the south of France would be a good inspiration. Paint cupboards a white that looks antique so any future Knicks will just add to the patina - try Benjamin Moore Lacey Pearl 2108-70. Add instant sunshine on your walls with Sweet Cream CSP-935. Add blue glass accessories, a few French cotton tea towels or white and blue check towels. Voila!
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:01AM
oceanfamily
Thanks everyone....I like the ideas so far. I'm thinking of also adding white subway tile for the backsplash and putting a few glass doors in the upper cabinets. I thought this would look nice with the new stainless appliances. Any other backsplash ideas? Also considering painting the cabinets myself. Any thoughts on this?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:22PM
jannielee
You're by the ocean, so let nature lead you with watery blues, sandy beiges and yes, definitely white cabinets. I normally don't like blue in a kitchen (typically an unappetizing color with food), but in your application select a pale blue and have them mix it @ 50% with white to make it very subtle. I have that in my kitchen on Cape Cod and it's lovely and airy. Looks great if you add crisp navy and white with it too. My house is colonial and I have a few blue willow pieces that look great with the pale blue paint. Add sisal rugs some wicker here and there, a piece of driftwood and you're in paradise.

Enjoy!
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 2:35PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
hi I too have a small ocean front cottage
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:36PM
wiggs1215
Try a large area rug in the kitchen to give it a soft touch. Remove upper cabinet doors. Try a printed tile backslpash too! Good luck!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:38PM
PRO
Wallmark Homes
If you paint the cabinets white and add a dark color back splash with either paint or tile it will help create a great contrast.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:53PM
Carla Chatterly
Hi - our kitchen layout is similar, we took our wall (your refrigerator wall) out and opened it to the small attatched room.I would paint your cabinets and beadboard a soft white and add a soft greige paint to walls, (pick one that goes with countertop). Pull in soft blue/green glass tile backsplash (Think the old bluish green mason jars) I am thinking the ocean colors, sand(greige/tan) blue green tiles (the colors of water) and the soft whites. You can add accents in those colors to tie into the beach. Enjoy!(Here's a few of my kitchen)
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 5:15PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i havent read all the comments, but the question i have is why do anything if you are redoing in 5 years
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 5:59PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
painting is not so expensive but if you are replacing counter tops, I would suggest doing the kitchen all at once time and wait on the flooring
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 6:02PM
judianna20
With Gary…five years is insignificant when you will be doing a major redo. Kitchen look fine, clean and livable for now. Save your money for the big plan. If you paint the kitchen walls a great color, it will work for you. Maybe black?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 6:06PM
oceanfamily
Sorry...I was not clear in my earlier post. The reason we need to give this place a facelift is because we will be renting it out for part of the summer season. At the minimum, we have to replace the linoleum flooring and paint the walls. I'm trying to figure out if we can work around all the whitewash/ beadboard and kitchen cabinets but I think the best scenario would be to paint it all. We also have to replace two of the appliances. I'm certainly open to suggestions since we will be renovating in five years.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 6:33PM
intoit
Looks like you could do with better lightening in the kitchen. Are you planning to keep the cabinets when you do the major update in a few years?
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 6:35PM
oceanfamily
Joanne - - I really like the lacey pearl and sweet cream you suggested. If I continue with the sweet cream in the living room and hallway, what would you suggest for a trim color? Thanks for your help!
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 6:24AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi oceanfamily!
I really like the idea of painting the cabinets white, I think with the style of the cabinet doors it will be really cute and beachy. Instead of doing a white subway tile backsplash, why not do a beautiful mosaic that brings in the colors of the ocean and makes this home really feel like a beach cottage? You could do a mosaic that brings in the gray of the counters to make them seem more relevant, too! Below are some mosaics from our site as suggestions/inspiration. You can also use our custom mosaic designer to create your own mosaic design. Good luck!
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 7:59AM
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
Trim in Ben Moore Simply White
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:33PM
PRO
Adell Appliance Outlet
Congrats on your cottage. Painting the cabinets is a great idea, white, off white or the antique looking white. Is my favorite. Adding knobs and adding glass on some cabinets will enhance and give your kitchen a lighter, brighter feel. I really like seeing beach homes with whites and blues and decoration of the beach with sea shells. As far as the appliances they do need to be updated to stainless or all white. Of course white will be more cost effective than stainless but stainless will look great. The slide in range is also more expensive than freestanding. For all 4 appliances in stainless steel you can update them for about $2000 and up. But I recommend to update them with a brand and look that you don't have to replace in 5 years. Hope this helps.
0 Likes   January 20, 2013 at 12:18AM
PRO
JWinteriors
Change your appliances to stainless...do not paint cabinets..change cabinet hardware to stainless ..paint soft gray ..change flooring.
1 Like   January 20, 2013 at 12:43AM
oceanfamily
JWinteriors -- I'm considering your idea to not paint the cabinets as that would save a lot of money. I have also attached a photo of the beadboard and trim as I am wondering if we can get away with just painting the walls (12' ceilings) since this is a quick fix. Any floor suggestions? The linoleum has to go! Thanks so much for your help...
0 Likes   January 21, 2013 at 9:12AM
jmweltz
stay away fro msubway tile for cottage look - i would sand and white wash the cabinets and change the counter top for something more natural and rustic
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 8:32AM
edithsmom
jmweltz...this discussion is a year old!
0 Likes   February 27, 2014 at 6:09PM