Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions on dining room wall decor??
krusetri
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Good morning! I would love some educated suggestions for decorating my dining room walls. I love my antique mirror but am struggling with what to put on either side. Candle Sconces?
Also, I was thinking of using gold framed family photos on the empty long wall. Will antique gold work for a phot gallery wall, maybe mixed with smaller art work??
What do you think of the art piece for the room?
Thanks for your help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
The mirror looks to small on that wall. It might possibly work vertically between the windows. A much larger painting on the wall opposite the windows. Maybe a server, console, or breakfront at the end.
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:38AM
decoenthusiaste
Agree, mirror vertically between windows. Bigger painting across from them and try a floating buffet shelf below it. Remove the wreaths and the current painting. Have you tried it in the area where you are standing to take the pictures? If that is a stairwell behind you, use the painting as the anchor piece for a grouping that fills that wall.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 9:26AM
mcaminata
Where did you get the painting? I love the colors in it
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:50AM
suzstag
I would remove the current wall hangings and replace with a larger item like a sunburst or a collection of sun bursts. I would also think about adding a small hutch as a side board if you have room. I wouldn't use the oil painting in this room.. It doesn't pick up the colors. I would also think about changing the curtains to a silk or velvet light blue shade. Just some thoughts
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 10:58AM
PRO
Raashi Design
You can build a frame around the mirror as big as you want and paint the wall inside the frame a darker shade to make it prominent. Also, if you're planning to frame family photos for the gallery wall, I'd like to suggest silver or champagne gold frames.
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 11:25AM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi krusetri, Marie here.
You need something to anchor the mirror - whether it be a console, or sofa table - or even wainscotting or applique.
Add textural interest in a wallpaper rather than hanging two smaller candle sconces, think about the overall look of the room - pull together inspiration photos or start collecting images from Houzz in an idea book, see what is the repeating image in those photographs that you are drawn to (eg: painting, wallpaper, lighting etc.) Some imagery to inspire you in your project.
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 11:46AM
krusetri
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll put them to good use. I do appreciate your help. The painting/artwork was from Hobby Lobby. I was drawn to the colors too. Though am not crazy about it for this room either.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 1:54PM
PRO
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
Hi Krusetri, I just noticed as well that your light fixture is very light, and dainty - almost too much so for that big dining table. I think if you changed out either the leather chairs for something more appropriate for a french country look, (soft upholstery, or painted wood), OR, you got a weightier fixture that would also help.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 2:03PM
Dar Eckert
Like Raashi Designs idea of framing your mirror within another frame to give it a larger presence. Then it will fit better on the wall where it is. The art can be framed in a similar frame and hung horizontally on the bare wall. Will probably need a tall plant in the corner and table under the mirror.
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 2:14PM
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
You could hang three Mirror Windows, similar to the style of your windows, on the opposing wall.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 3:55PM
jjandhk
what a pretty room! I would put the mirror on the wall opposite the window, with a buffet underneath. Then you could add a larger frame, other mirrors, or art and photo collage.
I love the painting between the windows, or maybe a larger painting on the far wall.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 4:31PM
judie
Admire the mirror windows. Were they bought or made? If made please give us the instructions. They are so pretty and room expanding. If bought, where?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:04PM
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
Yes they are handmade and available at http://mirrorwindows.com/

Thanks
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 5:54PM
gdodd22
For the family wall, maybe a vinyl of your monogram in the center or the word "family" to anchor the family pictures?
I also think the mirror needs a buffet beneath for weight or the framing/paint around it as suggested before. I personally love the chandelier but it doesn't work quite right with the table or chairs or the picture. What about white slipcovers for the chairs and painting the table? Then to add weight to the table centerpiece, could you put the mirror ON the table and put the little vases on the mirror?
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 6:18PM
PRO
CreativeTouchDesignsbyEllen.com
This room could be really charming. I would put a chair rail around the perimeter of the room first. I would have a darker paint on the bottom of the rail and a lighter color above the rail. On the wall that has the mirror and wreath i would put a sideboard with some art above it with sconces next to the picture. Then I would get new chairs that have a pattern to the fabric that enhances the rest of the space. I would higher the decorative hardware for the window treatments. Purchase fabric for the chairs that will coordinate with draperies.When raising your art work make sure it is place in the right area and height.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 6:31PM
judie
Thank you so much.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 6:40PM