Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Boring Living Room Need Help
danesha1
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm thinking of painting my living room a modern light green or getting some new pillows etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could spice things up? Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
January 17, 2013 at 9:03am     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Pillows are a great idea and a must!! Start with those, find a few that you love and you can then pull a color from there. Just remember when picking a color (as opposed to a beige or neutral) that you want it to be a muddy version of the color you are trying to pull from your pillows. For instance, if you find pillows with a pear green in them, dont match exactly, your walls will be too bright, but choose a more muted neutral green version to compliment it. Good luck and have fun picking out new pillows!! You might want to look on www.etsy.com, they have a wonderful selection at great prices.
January 17, 2013 at 9:06am     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
With the mirror and the huge TV you have two walls without personality. The mirror is not reflecting anything interesting. Replace it with a splashy colorful painting. Put end tables that have some weight to them on either side of the sofa. Add two statement making lamps on each of those. That will be a good start. You could also add a rug to anchor the room.
January 17, 2013 at 9:11am     
Bonnie
A painting over the couch and some pillows for the couch...

Add a silver or orange tray to the coffee table with a plant or other decorative item

I would add a silver or colored table lamp on the table left of the couch and move the floor lamp to the other side.

Other nice items to add... a small area rug to give a little punch and tie everything together, another end table for the other end of the couch, drapery panel on either side of the window

Different Shades of Green Prints by Libby Smart

Llano Pillow
Quilted Green Pillow, Small
Chancellor Rectangular Tray
Jonathan Adler Lacquer Tray 22x22 in Lacquer
Mini Potted Boxwood Plant
Himalayamix Potted Plant
January 17, 2013 at 9:22am     
PRO
Gabberts Design Studio
Dont forget about window treatments. They can add a lot of personality to a room.
January 17, 2013 at 9:28am     
PRO
Rais Design
This room needs touch of color and sparkle.
Trying few of these may help:

1. Throw on sofa and coordinate the color of throw and pillows. May be add color pillows.

2. Mirror is nice and adding an art work on the wall and removing the coat and jacket will capture its reflection.

3. You already have two candle holders on the end table-moving those to coffee table and adding coffee table books, some color glass platter will add that sparkle.

4. End table - place a table lamp and move the floor lamp to another area or corner. Add some display items, plants, or flowers on the end table.

5. Rug under the coffee table is another option to consider

6. Adding window treatment will soften the look of the room a lot.

7. Coordinating the color in every piece of item in a room is very important to unify the space.

Hope these suggestions helps.

Thanks,
Rashmi
Rais Design
March 4, 2014 at 10:00am     
Nancy Travisinteriors
Every thing matches. Not good. Put a big bold color contemporary picture over sofa. Add print pillows on sofa in a color. Add two martini tables in a color from west elm. Instead of coffee table. Use mirror in another room or wall.
March 4, 2014 at 11:39am   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Use coffee table as end tables next to sofa. Add big base lamps in accent color. with drum style shades on them. Window panels on ends in a pattern. Try Ikat, Chevron or Greek key. Also in color.
March 4, 2014 at 11:40am   
Nancy Travisinteriors
Put floor lamp,on other side of chair. A area rug in front of sofa 8x10 in a contemporary design in bold colors.
March 4, 2014 at 11:42am   
PRO
Mohairs & More
I think you can lift the room with cushions and a throw. If you are looking for greens, I have attached swatches from the 'Designer Hues' selection http://mohairsandmore.com/mohair-throws-in-40-designer-hues/ and the other images show Autumn Red throws from the 'Everyday Luxury' range http://mohairsandmore.com/100-everyday-luxury-mohair-throw-blankets/
March 4, 2014 at 11:53am   
PRO
Rais Design
Exactly, this is how the color has to be coordinated. Thanks for the pictures.
March 4, 2014 at 1:57pm     
wmbasow
Adding a bit of texture and color would add character to the room.
March 4, 2014 at 11:10pm   
PRO
Rugsville
if you want add some excitement so add a colorful rug in your living area.
March 4, 2014 at 11:19pm   
wmbasow
With an area rug:
March 4, 2014 at 11:28pm   
PRO
Thos. Baker
You have a great neutral palette to start with, and in this case, just a touch of color will go a long way in spicing things up. Your room made me think of blue, cream and brown tones. A lamp on the table beside the sofa, throw pillows to provide accent, and an area rug beneath the coffee table would really warm things up!

Benjamin Moore's Gray Owl is the wall color in the sample photo. Hope this is helpful!

Christi, on behalf of Thos. Baker
March 4, 2014 at 11:44pm