powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need new kitchen wall color after a kitchen facelift!
Joanne Owsiany
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just gave our dated (early 1990s) kitchen a facelift by painting the light oak cabinets a dark espresso color and refinishing our countertops using the Rust-oleum Transformation products. My husband installed a mosaic travertine backsplash and beadboard around the island and at the end of each set of cabinets. We are thrilled with the results!! But I seem to be at a standstill choosing a wall color. My kitchen shares a long wall with the family room. Both rooms are primarily the goldish brown color you see in the pictures with a red accent on the soffits. Our hardwood floors have a reddish stain on them. I think the colors I currently have are too dark and want to lighten them. I was fixated on a light shade of green, but the two samples I tried (Behr cottage hill green and rejuvenate) are too minty. Should I pick a shade in the beige family instead? My dining room is adjacent to the kitchen and is gold on top with linen white below the chair rail, so I was thinking I should stay away from yellows/golds. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!! My husband wants to finish this project soon!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bjowen
saw a warm copper colour, antique penny or something that would work with your cabs and backsplash and give some pizzaz too.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 8:57AM
decoenthusiaste
Look to your backsplash for a color. Might try a warm greige, a blend of grey and beige that is very popular now. There a lots of shades of it, so do sample boards and keep it warm like the travertine and watch out for too much pink undertone!
3 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:00AM
carolannr
I think you need a beige closer to the tone of the backsplash and I would paint the dining area in the same colors to make the area a smoother transition between the two areas. The beige would go well with the white linen bottom in the dining area too.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:01AM
mpoulsom
Check out the paint color Garden Wall by Behr....but go to the store, bring home a million swatches and put them against backsplash, during different times of the day to see what it looks like. Then narrow it down and pick!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:07AM
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
I like a beige idea as well, but if you had originally wanted to go in the green family you can find a happy medium with those two colors by choosing a beige with a very olive undertone. I think it will compliment everything you have and look very luxurious! Try these three colors from Benjamin Moore: HC-82 Bennington gray, HC-83 Grant Beige, and Hc-80 Bleeker beige (this one is a little less green and a little warmer). I use these colors a ton in my projects because they go so well with everything. Good luck and love the updates!
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 9:11AM
Tracy Bernard
perhaps a muted golden olive, faux finished with an elephant grey. you will have both the cool and warm tones with a beautiful patina effect. Also...effect gets better as it ages. The soffits could be done a cocoa color. it would be a muted but rich pallate that would very very flattering and versatile. Good Luck.
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 9:28AM
groveraxle
I concur with all the suggestions above, but would suggest painting the ceiling too.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:32AM
PRO
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I agree with the above and A Pelltier's suggestions, but would also consider painting out the soffit as well the same colour as the walls or a shade darker if you like, also do the underside and then about 10 - 15% of the colour on to the ceiling.

Good luck. You are on your way.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 9:44AM
lahorner
There are many beautiful greens out there that have greyish undertones, well maybe they're considered bluish undertones. At any rate the ones that are minty have more yellow undertones. That's what I've learned in painting many of our rooms green, no mint allowed :) How did your counters turn out, we're considering doing something like refinish the counters.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:37AM
PRO
Jonathan Hress Design
I agree with Iahorner. Keep looking at greens.
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 10:43AM
PRO
American Tin Ceiling Company
Keep it neutral, stick with something in the beige family. A tin ceiling would also look great to finish that ceiling, we hate when a beautiful space forgets the 5th wall!
1 Like   May 12, 2014 at 11:05AM
PRO
Sharon Scharrer Kitchen Design
Creamy butter vanilla color.
0 Likes   July 8, 2014 at 12:54PM
Sheila Trask
Green walls for sure. I would change the appliances as the white takes away from the room. Stainless steel with green walls and you have a fabulous kitchen.
0 Likes   July 19, 2014 at 2:10PM