Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Unsure about this paint color
205wea
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Had my kitchen painted "Light Blue" today but the color is reading very green next to my cherry cabinetry. The rest of my home has very warm colors and this looks cool. Kitchen is open to living area (and my sofa is very close to this paint color). Tried many colors and had trouble finding the right one. Wondering if I should have it repainted tomorrow before the painter leaves. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
sealedesign
I like it but then again I' into French colors: red, green, yellow. If you are more into traditionals like burgundy, blue, tan then might try for a different color. Good you are getting as many opinons as possible but I think it looks great.
January 17, 2013 at 2:30pm     
anitajoyce
Yes! Have it repainted before the painter leaves if you don't like it. I thought the wall was white when I first saw it. It's barely there. Blue is a cool color. Do you have another paint color to use on the walls? Can you post a picture of more of the space to see what the kitchen looks like?. Blue grey is a nice warmer color.
January 17, 2013 at 2:36pm     
205wea
Here are a few more pics to give you an idea of the space (including the layer of dust from painting!). Also the open living area with sofa color I was trying to bring to the kitchen. That whole area is being papered in a neutral grasscloth. Hallway is painted "Stony Ground".
January 17, 2013 at 2:51pm   
205wea
And the sofa. Wall will be papered in grasscloth and rug will be creamy/neutral color.
January 17, 2013 at 2:52pm   
sealedesign
Do you feel the wall color goes with the countertop color which looks a little green in this photo? You could also run to the store tonight, get a little blue and mix some yourself, try it on cardboard or right on the wall and be ready with an answer when the painter returns.
January 17, 2013 at 2:57pm     
205wea
The countertops are absolute black (kitchen was done by previous owners). Paint is Farrow + Ball.
January 17, 2013 at 3:01pm   
onthefence
I'm just curious - are the cabinets custom or do you happen to know the brand? They're beautiful!
January 17, 2013 at 3:03pm   
205wea
Thank you! As I said, they were installed by the previous homeowner. They are custom.
January 17, 2013 at 3:08pm   
Rio Brewster
more of a grey/blue might be better.

[houzz=
]
January 17, 2013 at 3:12pm     
onthefence
I suspected they might be custom. They're really beautiful and will look lovely with your new paint color when you to get the way you want.
January 17, 2013 at 3:13pm     
PRO
STUDIO MB
Yes it does look a bit green. Try to match up to the sofa but in a lighter tone. The sofa looks like a warm grey. Try Kelly Moore km 3819 silver queen.
January 17, 2013 at 3:20pm     
anitajoyce
A blue grey color would look nice on the walls and will blend in with your living area and sofa since that area will have mostly neutral colors. Blue grey is a warmer blue.
January 17, 2013 at 3:21pm     
205wea
Also, I'm looking to change the lighting. Does anyone have suggestions? I really have no alternative to a track, but am thinking of updating it to a silver track. Also considering a pendant at the end over seating area but haven't found the right one.
January 17, 2013 at 5:27pm   
sealedesign
Rather than match the color in the livingroom, since you have so much stainless, I think, because of the proximity, the color should go with that. I know people say choose a warm color wall if you have warm cabinets. I think, choose a lighter version of the stainless color which is a blue-grey, not on the green side. Also the stainless will go with this scheme.
(From years of painting: When choosing a color, look at the color and then the color on the same swatch or family to see if it is derived from green, blue, etc. Always go lighter and much more grey than you think. Then test on one wall. If it's not right, add some other colors and keep testing until you have it right. Then paint some of the winning combination on paper and go to the store to have them analyze and reproduce it. It's fun to compare the swatch with what you originally thought was right.)
January 18, 2013 at 9:27am   
sullenbj
I love the color as is! Love the coolness against the warmth of the cherry cabinet. The color makes your kitchen look very current and elegant. Love the way it looks with the backsplash. I would just bring a touch of that color into the living room to tie it all together, maybe through a piece of art. Remember, YOU have to love it!
January 18, 2013 at 9:47am   
Billie G
I personally like this colour very much. But then I am partial to it as it is all over our house. It is lovely with cream, purple, mauve, brown and yellow and many other colours. I would not change it.
January 18, 2013 at 10:44am   
205wea
Thanks everyone for great advice. I love this color too, just not in this room. I am going to stick with it for a little while and see how it looks when everything else is pulled together.
January 18, 2013 at 5:49pm   
mveasey
Good idea to live with it for a while. Different times of the daylight, seasons and artificial light affect paint colours so much. Even having different lightbulbs (cool/warm/coloured, sounds crazy, but is true, talk to a lighting professional) will change the look of colour.Good luck!
January 18, 2013 at 10:06pm