Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
1960's center hall colonial - entrance foyer/hallway
judyschwartz55
January 17, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have an oak banister and handrail that goes up the stairs to the 2nd floor, removed the banister on the hallway side to repair it and kind of like it with just the stairs; no banister on one side (handrail is on other side against wall). Should I leave it or put the banister back and if so, how can I keep it traditional but modernize it
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tayler_samone
Maybe changing the carpet to hardwood to give it a more modern look!
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:04PM
creeser
I think tayler is right. Removing the carpet and having wood treads would help.
[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:14PM
nadaibr
I find interesting the idea of changing the oak banister into a carpet one! In my opinion having a carpet scale is so special and nice on an apartament interior..
0 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 3:25PM
Bonnie
What is a carpet scale? A carpet banister? What?
1 Like   January 17, 2013 at 3:50PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
The railing is A MUST! Do NOT do away with such a safety feature! They can be STUNNING "accessories" when done to furniture finish quality. You're going into VERY dangerous territory if you remove and do away with it! NO, no, no way... unless there's acouple of matresses stacked on the floor. Keep the video camera handy and don't ever let your Insurance agnet come to visit.
4 Likes   January 17, 2013 at 4:16PM
jagwyre
I agree. Remove the carpet from the stairs, but it needs the bannister for safety. Maybe make it wrought iron?
1 Like   January 18, 2013 at 7:40AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I would replace them for safety reasons. Remove carpet and paint the rail and treads black. It looks great and gives it a bit of a contemporary lien. Check out the TV show Revenge. The Greyson house has that combo and it looks amazing.
0 Likes   January 18, 2013 at 7:54AM
ashleycajthaml
I would change the flooring too...maybe some new tile to bring it into 2013
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 6:18PM
judyschwartz55
I was actually going to replace the floor and put in tile and I've decided to put the banister back but I will be refinishing it. Thank you all!
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 7:23PM
PRO
Tres McKinney Design
The most important change you could make is to remove the fully carpeted stairs and replace the treads with hardwood and a carpet runner if you like. Creeser's photo example is an elegant solution.
Don't throw good money after bad recarpeting your stairs as did the original builder trying to skimp by not installing hardwood treads in the first place. Removing the banister on that short length opens up and lightens the look of the stairs.Replace the parquet floor with hardwood.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 8:12PM
judyschwartz55
The stairs are hardwood treads, I recently put that carpet on them :( my teenage son has gotten it dirty in 6 months. The naked stairs looked really odd to me and they were so noisy.. also, wouldn't the upstairs hallway need to be wood as well - would seem odd to have a carpet on the hall floor and not on the stairs.
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 9:18PM
houssaon
Here is my take. The carpet just doesn't work. Get a medium colored pattern runner for the stairs, For the noise and for safety - you less likely to slip on the rug and if you do it adds a bit of cushion for the fall. I would put the rail back up, as you have already decided to do. Again for safety. See: Jenkins Baer Associates, Staircase Newel Post and Curved Staircase Stair Runner Installation.

The medium color and pattern will hide dirt the best. Maybe you need mats by the doors to catch some of the dirt that comes in. I have one from LLBean that is great at my back door. I can't believe the dirt that gets tracked into the house. This is one example, a funny herring "bone" and there are other patterns, sizes and colors: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/76528?feat=902-CL1&page=herring-bone-waterhog-mat-18-x-28

About your question haing carpeting upstairs: the runner can end at the last riser at the top: Foyer
0 Likes   January 19, 2013 at 10:33PM